Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: Sounder Reading

Re: Sounder Reading

Quote Originally Posted by siegfried View Post
    EXCELLENT PICTURES MATE, what are your clutter tvg scroll speed and transducer output settings I fish similar depths with m258 ducer and my resolution is not as horn a that..good stuff (apologies for so many questions)
    TVG is on medium, scroll is on the second slowest, everything else is on auto except for the gain, I usually run it on 7 to 7.5 for 70 - 110 fathom then 8-9 anything deeper. The main key for a good picture and detail is to use adjust you depth settings. eg...in 300 fathom I have my shift set on 40 fathom, and the screen only reads from 220 to 300, so you are not reading the unwanted 0 to 22o fathom, Hope this makes sense.

Cheers Mick

Onya Mick, when we get rid of this mini cyclone up her itll be nice to go and give em another go, Ive gone shoot through with the tranny cause I think the duo props and transom mounts dont mix, too much clutter

Mick are you trying to confuse this bloke or what.

Why is that mate, know something I dont

If you know how to use a 585 you will know exactly what I am talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by redlowrey View Post
    If you know how to use a 585 you will know exactly what I am talking about.
    Well I think I do, ....especially now fishing comercially....would you like to explain what i am missing?????

Mick

.Instead of being a smart arse he could perhaps contribute something meaningful ,anyway thanks again.

Mick I wrecken your a gun with them sounder images, and I wasn't having a go at you about the 585 and knowing how to use it. The other guy should have picked up where you said you leave it in auto, you can't use the shift function in auto and you should have said in 300 fathoms I use 240 fathoms of shift and 60 fathoms range. I fish simlar depths off the shelf and use the same sounder and transducer, but scroll speed 4 to 1 that depth is nearly 600 metres, whats the reason for the second slowest scroll speed. Siegfried you should have picked that up if you own a 585 and I can see mick knows how to use his, I thought he might have had a few sherberts.

Quote Originally Posted by redlowrey View Post
    Mick I wrecken your a gun with them sounder images, and I wasn't having a go at you about the 585 and knowing how to use it. The other guy should have picked up where you said you leave it in auto, you can't use the shift function in auto and you should have said in 300 fathoms I use 240 fathoms of shift and 60 fathoms range. I fish simlar depths off the shelf and use the same sounder and transducer, but scroll speed 4 to 1 that depth is nearly 600 metres, whats the reason for the second slowest scroll speed. Siegfried you should have picked that up if you own a 585 and I can see mick knows how to use his, I thought he might have had a few sherberts.
    Well what I meant to post was that everything was on auto, except , gain and shift...but that is why i went into detail explaining how i use it.
    The reason behind having the scroll speed setting on really slow....and I know , most users and experts, say fast is better, but i disagree...if the scroll speed is on fast then a little shark rock or ledge is flattened out too much, where as on a slower speed , then it really shows you what is down there, Maybe travelling at say 20 + knots , then yes, I would bump up the scroll speed. I have spoken to several expert commercial fisherman regarding this, and these guys are at the top down here in catch performances, and they all run on slowest as possible .

It might be interesting for a few Ausfishers on here to try the slow scoll speed settings at there favourite little spots and report back what they deem better.

Cheers Mick

Hi,

Look, I,m a bit confused about all this...

Do you guys really fish in 300 fathoms of water? Thats about 550 metres, isn't it.
    Wow, where do you find water that deep, and how on earth do you pull fish up.

I find it hard work fishing in 60 metres!

Dave.
    Suzygs1000
    Ingham

Gday Dave , when I say we fish in 600 m I use the term "fish" lightly, Its not sporting as we use a big electric reel with120-150lb braid .with 3-6 kg of lead a dirty great rig with 400lb mono main & 250lb droppers.For us its purely a food gathering exercise as many deep water fish are gun eating, there is not much(none) sport in it. The trick is finding the spots. Most of our sport fishing involves trolling for blue and striped marlin on and over the shelf hence the need for good electronics as to continually monitor the bottom. 1kw good -3kw too good

Newbie question
    Just out of interest which direction does the sounder show.
    Is it a picture of left to right of the boat,
    or,
    does it show from bow to stern , but presents the picture in a left to right format.

Captain Confused

I Drink,
    Therefore I Am.

http://www.youtube.com/playfordtree

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Lips View Post
    Newbie question
    Just out of interest which direction does the sounder show.
    Is it a picture of left to right of the boat,
    or,
    does it show from bow to stern , but presents the picture in a left to right format.

Captain Confused

I dont think there is any radial movement of the beam... it is just straight down and back up again (in a cone) so it reads basically top of water to sea floor. With the strongest returns occuring near the center of the beam, the weaker near the outer edges of the beam cone. Happy to be corrected if need be.

I wouldn't worry anyway... If the fish are showing up on the sounder they are in the near vicinity of the boat, and a possible hookup and catch

Think baitthrower is correct, where good sounders come in.... as the trace display march starts one pixel wide to the right of the sounder screen the better the sounder the better it's ability to make sense of everything 'all at once' it sees 'at every time' within each transducer pulse then it simply displays all but tempered by how well it can decipher what actually is sensed below, good quality sounders are a worthy spend. I need to take that advice myself.

cheers fnq

Thanks fellas.

Does that mean it's showing a 3 dimensional picture in a 2 dimensional format?
    I Drink,
    Therefore I Am.

http://www.youtube.com/playfordtree