Page 32 of 44 FirstFirst ... 222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: Sounder Reading

Re: Sounder Reading

Scott, unsure what i can make of it, we finished fishing the silver nannie spot and started following the same conture line east, and came across a few of these patches, did not drop a line as we were on a mission heading NE

Garry, will try and play with the color a .bit more

Daz

Either that or because we were on the drift at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfish View Post
    G'day Heath, thats great info. can we assume the arches are a little distorted because the fish is moving?

Crazy
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

Wahoo,
    Looks similar to this, which we didnt realise at the time.. Amberjack.

Regards
    Honda

Quote Originally Posted by reel overtime View Post
    i've never seen this many fish on screen. how do i find these spots, just motor around slowly until i find structure holding fish or what?

hi ya R/O

when i troll around i always keep a close eye on the sounder, if i see something i like, i mark it on the GPS, in one hr i can have up to 30 way points on the GPS, i latter go back to a few and fish of them, some good and some not so good

Daz

One of the best features I have found with the lowrance is the ability to record the soundings, just enable it and it starts recording, move around, then the next day or a lay day, just play the sounding back.

My unit sounder is a combo unit so it also records the gps marks so when your reviewing your recording you can just hover the mouse over a likely spot, hey presto gps mark for it..

Regards
    HOnda.

Just like to thank everyone who has put up sounder shots as I just keep on learnig. Makes me want to spend mega dollars and get the best possible picture but realise I can see enough.

Explainations are great and to all those who asked dumb simple questions thanks for doing so and saving me the trouble

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo View Post
    what can some one make of this???

Ok you have about 9-10 fish there that were initially possibly on the edge of the beam then came up higher int he water column momentarily, then moved past the centre of the beam to produce the full arch then these fish have moved out of the beam and are no longer read.... There are a couple of fish that stayed on the bottom and were continuously in the transducer beam. Gain could be a tad high, but I wouldn't drop it too much... You have good decipherable readings there.

just hoping if any one can give us any avise on these pic

do you have better pics yrrab? Bit hard to see... Also, where were you? Saltwater or Freshwater Dam etc?

Sorry there the only ones.

!st pic (left side), over a rocky area in the bribie passage(saltwater)

Sorry there the only pics I have.
    I am just started to use the sounder more, and wanted to know if I was on the right track?

1st pic (left side of pics)
    Im over rocky area, in the bribie passage(saltwater), moving slowly.
    I think there is a school of bait fish on the bottom, and a possiable larger fish under them at the right end as the school rases up. I am unshore

2nd pic
    Im over a hard bottom, next to a bridge pillar, in saltwater and moving slowly. I can see the bridge pillar on screen. I was unshore if they are fish just to the left, on the bottom of the pillar, and over to the right of the pillar on the bottom?
    If not can you sound out fish right next to the pillars of a bridge?

Any help is well appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by yrrab View Post
    Sorry there the only pics I have.
    I am just started to use the sounder more, and wanted to know if I was on the right track?

1st pic (left side of pics)
    Im over rocky area, in the bribie passage(saltwater), moving slowly.
    I think there is a school of bait fish on the bottom, and a possiable larger fish under them at the right end as the school rases up. I am unshore

2nd pic
    Im over a hard bottom, next to a bridge pillar, in saltwater and moving slowly. I can see the bridge pillar on screen. I was unshore if they are fish just to the left, on the bottom of the pillar, and over to the right of the pillar on the bottom?
    If not can you sound out fish right next to the pillars of a bridge?

Any help is well appreciated
    Pic1: Mate there is possibly fish there but hard to say with that photo. It could even be a bounceback signal showing a double bottom reading... This is common when over hard/rock bottoms because the sonar signal actually bounces back and forth off hard bottoms causing the transducer to read the bottom twice in the same ping cycle. I wouldn't like to say for sure on those images mate because a false description could be giving you the wrong things to look for on all future trips Perhaps see if you can get a square -on shot next time out, up close with no glare and we can better help!

Pic2: Again I wouldn't categorically say these are fish... Yes it looks like the pylon is being shown, but those readings to the right of it could be the widened base of the pylon if it is sitting up above the bottom slightly, and it could be detecting that on the edge of the sounder beam momentarily giving that feedback. Itr is also possible that it could be fish but that kind of reading would indicate a lot of small baitfish packed tightly close together (which often wont look like that (odd shape) and if it was larger preadatory fish, they would probably appear a little different too... The trouble is the pylon is the unknown here as it could be reading that being so close.

Thank you baitthrower for the info on the readings.

I will try to work on my picture taking.

If you do get bounceback would it happen all over the rocky bottom or just in section? I worked the sounder for 2 hours over the rocky area but this was the only time I got this reading on the screen.

Does it matter how carm it is on the surface when you have bounceback?
    Would bounceback have a week signal?
    Can I remove it by turning down the sensitivity?

Re bounceback... well if you were driving your boat over a uniform, thick concrete floor on the sea/river bottom (as example) then yes you would probably get consistent bounceback... It can come and go over naturally hard bottoms because there is variance in natural depths and thickness of bottoms.... or you could have layered bottoms as well etc... How deep the water is under your boat can also affect this... Perhaps during the time you got the reading the water may have been on a low end of low tide? Shallow depths and hard bottoms tend to produce multiple reflection readings.

I wouldn't touch sensitivity in this case. Its like putting a blindfold on your sounder... You lose a lot of its power and "sight" by reducing sensitivity too much... It is better to learn to live with the anomalies that pop up here and there than to blindfold your vision

this pic is Spanish Mac hitting a bait ball