Page 19 of 44 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Sounder Reading

Re: Sounder Reading

Boris, your arches will be smaller at speed as they spend less time in the beam.
    The Lowrance site has a good explanation of how and why arches are formed that will help you understand what you see as well.

Raymarine C120 At Caloundra 12 mile.
    Last edited by O SEA D; 19-02-2007 at 01:14 PM.

Jeez i wish i could find fish on my sounder like that . Great info guys keep it coming i am really enjoing what i see

Josh

Here are some from a shallow water bommie ..... there is a school of bait fish hanging of it.... 3 Barra up to 91cm came off this spot

Oh and note the water temp

Hi,

Here is a sounder showing of a BARRA from Peter Faust Dam!

This fish was found in the main basin resting around scattered bait showings.

We cast over the area with Squidgy Slick Rigs and pulled a 119cm barra straight away!

The sounder is an Eagle Fish Elite 480.

Kerrin and Cy Taylor
    Whitsundays Qld

You cant go past these colour digitals

Garry

Yep our sounders have deffinatly changed the way me and dad fish, so much easier to find the holes
    Last edited by Shazbanger; 05-05-2007 at 02:06 PM.

This has to be one of the best threads on this site. Thanks to all for the info but one thing intrigues me. How can you tell what type of fish they are just by looking at the sounder?

Thanks,

Wags

Does anyone know what the beam angle is for a 50 Khz transducer?
    I believe 200 Khz is 20 degrees thus I can calculate the amount of bottom covered at various depths.

Scott

A couple of shots from the Fitzroy River this week, massive bait schools with plenty of catfish and a few barra and threadfin. There's a thick layer of freshwater on top in these shots.

Scott

I don't know what sort of transducer you have, but my Airmar only has an 11 degree beam at 200khz and 45 degrees at 50khz.

If you have an Airmar transducer, their website gives the specifications for each model.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunter71 View Post
    Scott

I don't know what sort of transducer you have, but my Airmar only has an 11 degree beam at 200khz and 45 degrees at 50khz.

If you have an Airmar transducer, their website gives the specifications for each model.

giday grunter

What transducer is that? Might be just what i'm after as a wreck finder to fill the black spot i have under the boat!

My airmar 260 has a 6 degree at 200khz and a 19 degree at 50khz so SgBFish it really does depend on your model ( an internet search wil solveyour problem)

Ian

Ian, it is the P66. It has a 600W output, transom mount.

Here's a screen shot of the $30 000 missing gang way that we located using a Humminbird 981 Side Imaging in Darwin Harbour last week.
    It blew off in storm in January & the Navy & Water police couldn't locate it. Heard about it while up there & asked if we could have a crack at finding it for them. Took 3 minutes to spot in among all of the pylons.
    Can clearly make out the gang way / hand rails on the left of screen.
    Divers confirmed our finding the next day & it was floated & returned to the wharf last Friday.
    Pic below shows a similar gangway still on the wharf.

Last edited by Fitzy; 14-05-2007 at 10:35 PM.
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Great pictures. You cant help but love seeing all of those fish down there. One thing about fish arches. Fish that are directly in the middle of your sonar beam will appear as a full fish arch. The farther away from the middle of the beam a fish is, the less of an arch you will see.

Also, to get a feel for how much of the bottom you are actually viewing on your fishfinder, find out how many degrees the beam on your transducer is. For example, if your beam is 60 degrees, you will view an area on the bottom equal to your depth, so if you are in 100 feet of water you will view 100 feet of bottom. If your beam is 20 degrees, in 100 feet of water you would view 33.3 feet of bottom and so on.

Knowing how much bottom you are viewing can help determine how far away from the boat partial fish arches actually are.