Page 13 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Sounder Reading

Re: Sounder Reading

First time I've checked this post in 6months and cool that its still going strong. It's a fine reference frequented by the legends...

I'm with Leo on that one Justin, crank the sounder sensitivity up until you see stuff all if that is possible, then pull it back, at 67M you might very well use full gain but I'm not experienced with your unit.

Ben, the signal transmitted from the transducer is a high frequency audio signal in pulse form transmitted and then the transducer listens for the bounce and there are plenty of people who will insist on switching the sounder off if at anchor and they will definitely make a point of it spooking the fish. Makes sense to me but I've not seen a Scientific study on the subject. Others will say that it doesn't spook the fish. At anchor once you've located your spot there seems no reason to leave the sounder on though.

The depth would make a difference too so it would be interesting to know if Greg (reefmaster) switches the sounder off after locating the reds??
    cheers
    BB

THANKSFOT THE INFO

THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION

john_laura

Great post everyone

Has given me renewed interest in working out my fishfinder.

Great stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's a screen shot from a Matrix 97 taken at Wivenhoe.

It shows a mixture of bass & catfish on a submerged hilltop. Fish are very thick from 10 feet down to the bottom. The color allows you to pick the difference from the 2 species (bass & catfish) by the strength of the return; the bass being deeper in the body a giving the red returns, catfish & smaller bass are in blue & green.
    I did find schools showing up only as blue/green & they were all catfish, & a couple showing up with lots of red, all fish caugt off these were bass.

Note the barometric pressure. The baro had just risen 2mb & the fish rose off the bottom as well. Coincidence??

Cheers,

Fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

excellent post guys
    i have an old matrix 10, never shows up any fish arches, but does show up the different types of bottom, ie rock weed coral sand, and also shows up bait fish balls... will post some pictures next time i hit the water

BG

why do most fishos talk in feet and farenheight ( spelling??) when everything else is meters and celcius??

just curious

cheers Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Ben G
    why do most fishos talk in feet and farenheight ( spelling??) #when everything else is meters and celcius??

just curious

cheers Ben
    I use them becuae they are in smaller gradients. I'd rather see 24 feet as opposed to 8 meters. Can see smaller variations in temp/depth using imerial.

Some do it because thats what they grewup using & want to keep using it.

Its quite simple to convert to metric in your head if you need to.

Cheers,

Fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Old school I think Ben, and as Fitzy said, the imperial measurements will give greater accuracy and show a more gradual fluctuation in temp and depth.
    Nautical measurements are more the old sea dog way,,,,,,,,its like 10 miles to the reef, not 18km. Nautical measurements follow boating habits!
    Go roof some houses,
    Johhny M

BG

no worries sinbad,

i will stick to roofs and pipes and you to boats and barra,,,,,,,,,,,

found some lures that should work great on those mullet,

cheers ben

I have actually found the Hummingbird Matrix catalogue quite informative with regards to cone angles etc. for Relative Novices anyway....still can not understand why after owning a $20 000 boat for 5 years, I only ever had a $150 sounder on it......what a DICK!!!

A top quality sounder is a gift from god. It makes your older and less effective models of sounders look like a complete waste of money.
    There is no going back when we go forward with sounders,,,,although paper sounders where pretty dam flash!!
    Sean, That is a good point. Why own an expensive boat and end up fishing up the creek with $20 outfits etc. All gear should be bought to be used to its standard. It's a package deal type thing, good boat, good sounder, good tackle etc. It is also a bit sad to see $40,000 boats in backyards that get used once or twice a year for whatever reason.

Ben G,,,,,Mullet hey??!??!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you could cast a barra lure all day at a swirl, ripple and a bow wave and still not get a strike. Funny That!!

Ben,
    A simple reason why guys chat fahrenheit would likely be they bought a sounder from the US. Cheaper but you miss out on the local warranty.

A Matrix from the US will not convert to C and Metres but reamins in ft and Fahrenheit.
    BB

BG

its easy to change the units of measure on your sounder as you all know , it just seems strange to me to

catch a 900mm barra in 10 feet of water for eg.

all good, Ben

Yes Ben,
    I was in my 4.4 metre tinny, using 50 pound line on a 6 foot, 10 kg rod casting a 6 inch lure tied to about a metre of leader fishing in 15 feet of water. The wind was from the North at about 18 knots, the water temperature was 28 degrees celcius and my 50hp outboard was turned off whilst the 55 lb electric motor was ticking over quietly. I hooked a barra about 40 lb, it measured 104 cm, or you could also say 1040 mm and on close inspection I reckoned it was about an 18kg fish!!
    I returned to the ramp at 22 knots, hopped in my ute that top speed does about 140km, reversed down the ramp and winched on the boat with the wire rope that has a breaking strain of over 2000kg, then I drove home in my one tonne ute which gets about only 20 miles to the gallon, or about 7km to the litre in the other talk. Got home, shifted some half pound reef fishing leads, packed some 3 lb dive weights into the bag for tomorrow's free dive trip, then went to sleep in my 6 foot 7 inch long home made bed, packed the 20 kg bag of ice and the 2 kg bag of pilchards and then drove an hour in the boat, or is it steered the boat about 11 miles out to a isolate reef and dropped anchor in 21 metres of water!!!!!!!

Go figure!!?!?!?!?!?!
    Talk about using all types of measurements.
    I'm still not sure on what talk to use for mullet luring tho!!?????
    Johnny