Page 12 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Sounder Reading

Re: Sounder Reading

Thanks Johnny - very useful stuff

BG

Here are two photos from awoonga from the past week , intereseted in people ideas on the images,
    sorry for about the poor quality, i would say the first photo would be a barra but the second one has got me thinking,

Cheers Ben

BG

second one ,

big school of guppies heading for your transducer,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,o r more like some form of electrical interferance caused by main motor, electric motor, another boat, or battery and transducer cable wiring. It is not life forms Ben,,, it is related to electrics!
    johnny

Ben,
    The barra school started in 40 feet, and then followed my boat for approx 15 mins whilst my on board anglers were catching them with sinking lures! I took this pic after a while and when the boat was then in about 25 feet. I think 11 fish were caught and then they spooked and vanished into thin air!
    Fish varied from 800mm to metre stuff. This sounder loses the plot often, it has a few issues, so as you know it is being replaced by a better unit, different brand name!

BG

spot on johnny, now that you mention elec interferance i remember turning on the bait tank pump to give it a run.......................had me worried about the guppies though.

good work ,,Ben

who or what killed this post,,,,,,, i think it can carry on much further!!!!! anybody want to know anything , add anything, or ask any questions. This very informative post was started whole heartedly by a nice bloke with a positive mind! A high 5 to you " iank"!!! I think it should continue! I bet there are a thousand questions wanting to be answered! I'll start with a new one????? i know the answer, but I'm sure someone with great experience would like to describe it to us all.
    "what is a double echo?" and why is boat speed critical to understanding displayed images!!!!??????????????
    johnny M
    Great topic!! Trying to continue this great thread!
    anyone????????

now you have me going for the refrence books
    Cheers Ian

OK, I'll play
    A double echo is where you see two bottom images, caused by the sound waves bouncing off the bottom, returning to the surface and then bouncing back to the bottom again. SO if you are in say 10m of water, you will see a second less defined return at 20m.
    Not sure why it seems to only happen to me sporadically. e.g. I was getting it for a while in awoonga on saturday, but hadn't changed any settings. Bit further on it dissappeared. I usually just adjust the range if it happens rather than back off the gain.

Speed affects the returns because the display is a constant speed graph, whereas yuor boat speed can vary dramatically. Thus two identically sized fish will display differently at different speeds.

Do I get an elephant stamp?

cheers,
    Owen
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

yep,
    elephant stamp alright as there is so much to talk about in reference to how we should interpret displayed images. The boat speed issue needs close scrutiny for many when looking for fish or for certain structure. A boat at speed shows a steep slope on a sounder almost vertical, but when a boat travels over the same slope at a lesser speed, the slope is displayed as a less acute angle!
    It certainly isn't just a matter of turning on a sounder and going for a drive or a fish!
    Go slow, see more detail, speed up, see less!
    Lots more to talk about .................................................. ........!
    Johnny

With siginficant confidence several members have posted and actually described what fish are appearing on the screen.

How can one be sure ? Are there any specifics to look for in being able to id different fish ?

Catchy Fishy

Quote Originally Posted by Angla
    I'm useless when it comes to the sounder

Any advice on what this is would be appreciated

I think I was off Coolum at the time with maybe a school of bait fish under

Angla
    Angla - I'm equally not great but for sure there is a school of bait fish under you, that have just been attacked - see the large "hole" mid-bottom left, in the bait.

Not sure what the red means as I use a B/w sounder.

Mike

BG

if you hold your hand over the transducer on my boat you can feel a small pulse as the sounder works away sending a signal to the bottom. it isnt painful but it is uncomfortable, can or would this affect the fishing under you boat??? as i reckon the fish would feel it for sure. probably not an issue when trolling but when iam not looking at it to find something i turn it off concerned that it might spook the fish, does any one else have this issue or is it not a problem to worry about??

Could comeone point me in the right direction????

I have a Lowrance LMS320 and am having trouble picking up the bottom when in water deeper than 30m. The unit works fine a speed and when at rest in anything under 30m.
    I was at the 36's saturday in about 67m and the bottom was showing as just dots(i don't have a pic) as soon as I started the motor it would loose the bottom alltogether and just flash the depth. I have turned off all auto settings and still have this problem. It's driving me nuts. The only thing I didn't try was the depth range and also the noise reduction but I thought that noise would be showing at all depths.

Could anyone help?

Cheers
    Justin

BG

sounds like you need to adjust the depth range setting, maybe set it to auto depth range and see if you can track the bottom then

cheers Ben

Quote Originally Posted by ReefKnotII
    Could comeone point me in the right direction????

I have a Lowrance LMS320 and am having trouble picking up the bottom when in water deeper than 30m. #The unit works fine a speed and when at rest in anything under 30m.
    I was at the 36's saturday in about 67m and the bottom was showing as just dots(i don't have a pic) as soon as I started the motor it would loose the bottom alltogether and just flash the depth. #I have turned off all auto settings and still have this problem. #It's driving me nuts. #The only thing I didn't try was the depth range and also the noise reduction but I thought that noise would be showing at all depths.

Could anyone help?

Cheers
    Justin
    Maybe. This is what I would try:

1. Check your battery connections (a multimeter would be the go if at all possible)
    2. Turn the gain up (sorry, but not sure what it is called in the Lowrance sounders)
    3. Check the transducer position. Has it kicked up? Probably not, but might be worth a shot
    4. Check your transducer connection/leads

It sounds like you do not have enough power being transmitted through the sounder. If all above are OK, it may be that the transducer itself is acting up.