Page 10 of 44 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Sounder Reading

Re: Sounder Reading

Hi Mullet
    It"s a 4.2 widebody dory it"s got a 30hp 2 stroke Merc on the back.I"ve also got a handheld lowrance ifinder gps which I"m still
    trying to work out, I should read the instruction book 1st
    cheers

Guys, I have recently purchased a new Navman 4600 that I bought based on its published specs. It looks fantastic in the boat but it CAN'T FIND ONE DECENT FISH IN THE ENTIRE MORETON BAY!! I spent over $1k, got the big screen (bigger than a drive-in according to Treasure) and it still can't find a decent fish.

In fairness, it has only been fitted for the last couple of weeks and it will get a proper work-out over the weekend. I'm going to try for a cod or a tailor (or anything suicidal) at Amity and around the Rainbow. I also fitted up the matching Navman 560 GPS and I am really impressed with it. It has the best daylight screen and the screen regenerates really fast, much better than the Furuno that I was previouly used to and about 25% of the cost. The final piece of the package is the Navman fuel transducer that interfaces with the GPS (to obtain distance and speed data) and reports fuel burn, economy and remaining fuel - a great product.

Have you tried the zoom feature

Yes, but I am certainly no expert, but always willing to learn. My understanding is that the zoom feature allows you to focus in on a particular section of the water column without confusing the issue by showing that part that you don't need to study. Also, I have to understand what the A-Scope really does and how to use it. ???
    Quote Originally Posted by devocean
    Have you tried the zoom feature

Zoom will cut out say the top 20 feet and focus more on the bottom. I only have a Lowrance 47 ex which is a pretty crap sounder and I can pick up fish no worries up to 50 foot really well. With the zoom I cut out the top 30 feet and even more fish show up

I have a sounder Lowrance x125, I saw quite a few arches over the weekend whilst fishing a bream comp, I put them down to weed, can floating weed show as an arch as well?

No because the sounder picks up air pockets in the fish I believe not weed. Weed will probably show up as a dense block or darker bottom line

The arch is formed by the return entering and leaving the centre of the beam so I'd say any point source return moving under you may return an arch shape. Check the Lowrance tutorials for great info on the subject.
    If you can't see fish on your sounder then read these 18 pages of sounder posts and you'll note that the location of structure is the real issue and what you should focus on rather than trying to spot a big fish. Look for structure and baitfish, up your sensistivity.

Pic I took a couple of weekends ago seconds before a triple hookup on wahoo.

Had driven over this ball a few times and was starting to wonder what all the fuss was about.

worthy of a sticky
    cheers
    blaze

Great thread and some great pics and commentary Ian. It takes a long time to learn to read these things and threads and discusions like this are well worthwhile.

bidkev

Hope to post some pics from the lowrance X52 on my new tinny, before the end of next week...............if I can find anything in the Pine that is! 2 bloody trawlers working it today!

kev

Interested in any ones comments on Humminbird matrix sounders and the settings they use. I run a Matrix 35 and seem to be able to distinguish fish and bait balls without too many drama but don't seem to get much change from sand to reef as far as bottom texture goes.

bidkev

Quote Originally Posted by Golden_Monk
    I have a sounder Lowrance x125, I saw quite a few arches over the weekend whilst fishing a bream comp, I put them down to weed, can floating weed show as an arch as well?
    The manual with the X52 states that if the fish feature is used, then this can mistake weed for fish, but if the arch feature is used, then this will only identify fish.

kev

Great pics...I've just installed a X107CDF in my 1950 Signature. Boat has an unusual "cut-away" at stern and I was not happy with the idea of a transom mount so I settled on a "shoot-thru-hull". Found a "sweet spot" by pouring a bucket of water into the hull just behind a drain plug and got the "sleeping partner" to hold tranducer against hull - got a good reading, marked the spot, dried it out and stuck tranny in with Sikaflex. Last weekend I was getting solid bottom reading in 145ft at 20 knots!! At 6-10 knots, you could spot a a flounder I reckon - bloody awesome bit of gear. Can't wait to see some pics like yours