Thread: Fishing off Tweed Heads?

Fishing off Tweed Heads?

Can anybody help me with spots to fish off Tweed Heads.

I am going down there over Easter and having not fished there before want to know where I should be going. I have a boat that I can take outside but don't want to just follow people and find that they are also tourists with no idea lol. Where are the good reefs/structures outside (GPS marks would be great) or, if the weather is off, what are the options in the Tweed River. I will be staying at the Boyds Bay Caravan Park so have access to both areas.

All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Ross
    So many fish, so little time!

Re: Fishing off Tweed Heads?

There is the good old Nine Mile, The Five Mile, Mud Hole, The Shoals.

My favourite was the Shoals, anchor up then burley..fish the bottom and have a couple of floating baits out.

The Nine is always worth a troll, macktuna can be annoying though, but the occasional wahoo can make up for that. Be Careful!! It breaks from time to time, so does the Five.

All withing 20 minutes steaming of Tweed Bar. Pop into Anglers Wharehouse, the fellows in there will be happy to help.

roz
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Thanks Roz,

That is a great help. I have picked up the marks to 9 mile but not 5 mile or The Shoals. I will check with the guys from Anglers Warehouse. Hope the Easter Bunny is good to you.

Ross

fishingnottake

if you need a deckie while your down mate take aussiefool, he;s a good luck charm

Hey Aussiefool,

I think fishingnottaken is taking the mickey however, if you are interested, let me know .

Ross

Hey Ross,

Couple more points.

From where you are staying it would be a short drive to launch from Kingscliff to fish the 'Local'all the way out to the 'Pinnacle' which is the widest part of the 'Local'.

Go up to the Kingscliff coast guard tower, from there you will be able to see the bar and also check out the local, they may even be able to tell you where the pinnacle is.

Pinnacle and local are top snapper & jew spots late in the afternoon or early in the morning, also no shortage of mackeral at this time of year.

You probably wont have any trouble with current on those spots. It is also closer to the Five, (I caught my first marlin just off the pinnacle).

cheers
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Here ya go tunzafun!

The Knob ( nth the pinnacle)28.15.040 153.35.780
    The Pinnacle 28.14.610 153.36.330
    The mud hole 28.10.280 153.36.650
    Nw nine mile 28.10.289 153.36. 310

Ian
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

Ross

Have PM'd you some marks mate - Datum is WGS 84 . In close off Tweed there are no spot X's left cause it is a small area frequented by many boats so you will soon see the locations of the other bits of reef by just looking for other boats or charter boats . Also the run up to Palmy is not too far if the macks are on . Tweed bar is good but watch it if the swell is 1.5 metre plus or a big runout . If you don't do any good you could always camp outside Heath or Willo's place and follow them fishing # - they are the guns .

Chris

fishingnottake

not taking the mickey, he;s a guru , another good spot to try lately seems to be the reef off blackrock.. what are you actually looking to target?

Yeah yeah, good idea camp outside of heaths or Willos place..let me know if ya need there adresses

Garry
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Hey Guys and Gals,

Thanks for all the advice. I am targetting pelagics and reef fish. Happy to explore all areas and if the weather is kind should contribute well to the fuel taxes over the week. If anybody is out and about give me a call on VHF 73. May even catch up for a brew somewhere?

Cheers

Ross

G'day Tunz, yep fishingnottaken is having a lend of you almost I do get a feed most times I wonder out wide but nothing spectaclar. As I do not have a boat myself I can not give any other spots. Was out on Saturday and between the boat I was on and the boat with us we nailed 10 Y/T-Kings, and a few others from the 9 mile on squid. Just watch the Tweed Bar it can be real tricky on a falling tide. As for the bar a at Kingscliff , it is the sore of one only to be used on a full tide by someone with experence, but check it out.

The only other spot I know of worth a fish is the 36's off Tweed but I do not have the way points
    Aussiefool
    Rainbow Trout is NOT skittle flavoured fish.........