Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Painter crayfish

Painted crayfish

Got these two out with some locals on Elcho Island. We walked out on a reef on low tide at midnight with a 1/4 moon using a torch and fishing spear. Every other splash I heard had the old ring twitching.
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 27-05-2010 at 05:22 PM.

Re: Painter crayfish

Do you have a picture to show

Bondy, this post is 7-8 years old, the pic would have been long gone with the sever update in 05 ... i'll put a pic of a painted cray up ... foxy

Very nice dfox,

How did you end up cooking this one? Anything special or just boil up in seawater with a bit of extra salt?

Did you have to dive deep or shallow? I'm keen to find a feed but not on my own and I'm also weary of noahs. I've had too many close encounters in my youth years.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by dfox View Post
    Bondy, this post is 7-8 years old, the pic would have been long gone with the sever update in 05 ... i'll put a pic of a painted cray up ... foxy
    That is not a painted cray Foxy..............thats a horse!!!!!!! What a ripper mate

Cheers,

Nick

Yeah absolute ripper...

I know it was taken 8years ago etc..

but for all those looking to go spearing now you cant use a torch to spearfish in NSW or QLD ... I think...

Quote Originally Posted by bondy99 View Post
    Very nice dfox,

How did you end up cooking this one? Anything special or just boil up in seawater with a bit of extra salt?

Did you have to dive deep or shallow? I'm keen to find a feed but not on my own and I'm also weary of noahs. I've had too many close encounters in my youth years.

Peter
    Peter , when it comes to cooking crays and especially big ones i never boil them. If you boil them like a mud crab they end up like rubber with no flavour.
    I usually bake them, just split them in half leave the shell on and cook them flesh side up, add a bit of butter, ginger, lemon juice and grated cheese.
    I believe you can steam them or make them into a mornay .
    I usually dive in about 3-5 meters of water to get them, isolated bommies are the best places to find them ... foxy

They do grow big ... foxy

How'd you ge getting the big one out of its hole?

can you put an urban myth to bed for me foxy?
    i have heard of blokes catching painted crays on a line bottom bashing ect.
    now, its always been someone's mate, and never the bloke telling the story who has actually caught one by line. i think it may actually be feasible though, shallow water, and an awesome foul hook.
    have you heard or seen a cray caught by line?

cheers

lippa

I've seen it done. Hook was under the head where it joins the body. He was pulling the line up to check his bait. Not sure why the cray didn't try to swim and if I hadn't seen it I wouldn't believe it either

Quote Originally Posted by lippa View Post
    can you put an urban myth to bed for me foxy?
    i have heard of blokes catching painted crays on a line bottom bashing ect.
    now, its always been someone's mate, and never the bloke telling the story who has actually caught one by line. i think it may actually be feasible though, shallow water, and an awesome foul hook.
    have you heard or seen a cray caught by line?

cheers

lippa
    Its happened to me twice, both times around shallow tempest. Ive seen rock fisherman off both double island and waddy point catch one on line as well.
    I know that our tropical crays arent caught in baited pots, so whether it was just luck that they tangled in the line or took an interest in the bait, im not really sure.
    One of the ones i caught was tangled in the line and the other was jagged by the hook ... foxy

Quote Originally Posted by Luke G View Post
    How'd you ge getting the big one out of its hole?
    As you might know they look a lot bigger under water, sure is a good fight ...

A mate of mine has caught two on a fishing line inside moreton bay.I am sworn to secrecy about the location.I saw one so cant argue.

Cheers Craig
    If you always do what you've always done
    You'll always get what you've always got

Some monsters there Dave...Do they lose flavor and get tough when they are that big and old..?

I jagged one on a line years ago off the rocks beside the Clump Point boat ramp...also got a Coral Trout there as well...

Scott