Page 1 of 27 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Tassie Bluefin

Tassie Bluefin

Caught out of Eaglehawk Neck while trolling a plastic squid skirt from my 4m Ally Craft during May 2002.

Re: Tassie Bluefin

Gday Brian

Mate thats pretty good bluey mate......I heard the season was pretty good one down in Tassie mate plenty of action I believe.....I used to love heading out of eaglehawk neck and chasing those bluefin boy do i miss them anyway hopelly next season i will be bringing my bathtub over there and chasing a few myself.....anyway mate great catch

ozdevil

Thanks ozdevil, we have had 2 good seasons over here. The big boats are still catching . It's been blowing down here for the last 3 weekends .I hope to go this Saturday. Regards brian66.

Brian

That is a great catch out of a 4 metre boat. Of course, the Queenslanders up here would claim that is about the size of the bait they need to use up here to catch a 'decent' sized fish.

CYA

AJ

great idea a.j. I might rig it up on the weekend if it ever stops blowing down here.thanks for the compliment its my biggest blue fin so far brian66

Hey Brian

Maybe if it is still blowing hard down there you may wanna try in fortesque and pop ya nose out in the Tasman that way ya still can chase a blue if it isnt to bad but if it is bad then ya still got some good fishing in at fortesque bay....just an idea to toy with or maybe head out to marion bay at least you may get to wet aline

cheers

ozdevil

i know what ya saying ozdevil we was going to try that one last week 30-40 knot n-w bit to much excitement for me.we did a lot of diving and fishing in fortescue this year the fishing is really bad in the bay even the crays are a bit short. out side of the bay the couta are so thick you could walk on them.some of them with about $100.00 worth of my tuna lures hanging out of them . bye for now brian66

Gday Brian

Mate i know how ya must feel with the couta about mate swallowing ya tuna lures......It wouldnt be so bad if they were hooked rather then going for ya swivels......

anyway cheers

hello ozdevil your sure right there.i even tried going right down in swivel size. it doesent seem to make any differance. if you can keep the couta on the surface and wind like crazy its allright if it goes under the rest chase the swivel.doesent seem to be away round it. just grin and bare it. any way enought of me. hows the fishing up your way.

Very Dead mate went out last weekend to find myself coming back in wanted to chase a few snapper and KG Whitingout in the gulf but to my luck it was coming in a bit to hard for me so ended up chasing bream and Mulluway in the Port River with out any succes but hopefully this weekend i will be able to chase a few reds and whiting but it has been rather quite

cheers

ozdevil

g'day ozdevil hope you have a better trip next weekend .never caught a snapper. they catch them up in the tamar river up north .hope to get up there one day.i just got of the phone with a bloke i know. were going fining in his rig on sunday.(fortescue) finally the wind is suppost to ease on sat.i will post you the results.got some photos to show ya but dont know how to down size them properly still learning to steer this thing brian66

Gday Brian

Mate if ya get the chance to fish for snapper mate go for it i call them steam trains as soon as they take ya bait they head for the horizon but they do become a lazy fighter after the first initial run........ When i was living in Tas i heard they get the reds up near bateman bridge area.....If you do decide to go up that way i would also try for King fish mate...King fish over here in S.A is just Taking off in August or late july planning on going to port augusta to chase a few kings......

Hopefully tommorow if all goes according to plan there should be some good fish after the big blow we had Yesterday as wind reach 100km/h and should have stirred the fish into a frenzy specially after it was full moon on tuesday

Mate I hope the winds ease for ya so ya can get out for afew fin and i would love to see these pics mate as soon as ya get to work out how to down size them......

cheers
    ozdevil

G'day Ozdevil.Finally got out on Sunday they were there all right. We found them in Munro Bight. They were travelling flat out. Trolled around them with no luck. Had to let them go about 2 mile behind the Hippolyte. We then trolled down to Tasman. I finaly hooked up at Tasman only to lose it at the boat(est 40kg). The big boats were hooking up all around us, but no more luck for us. Heard one of the big boats say they had boated 2x70kg fish. Just wasn't our day. Brian66.

Gday Brian

Mate i heard some small trailer boat hooked up to 6 bluefin with the biggest going 45kgs........I heard the tuna where travelling quite quick prolly chasing the bait schools.....Mate you must have been disappointed to lose ya fish at the boat mate...but thats fishing......

I hear the water temp was around 13 degrees prolly another agree or 2 higher mate may have really brought them on.....but at least you got out mate... i didnt even wet the boat this weekend as i had commitments around the home (blody women) anyway sunday i manged to wet a line but that was only in the torrens river for bloody swamp trout caught a couple around the 4kg mark.....

Well its going to be a dead weekend this weekend as there is a dodge tide coming up and the fishing this month is going to die right off as its coming up to the bloodworm run which means things go hell quite and prolly time to catch a few jewies thou so might head out saturday night for the buggers...

But by the looks of things you guys down in tas may be getting an extended run of the bluefin this season.....

PT Macdonald was rather quite this year but mind you i heard the boats couldnt get out due to the weather but when they managed to get out the fish where really thumpers for S.A Standards the biggest i heard went around 30kgs....

Anyway if my Finances Work out Hopefully in april i will be bringing my 17 Seafarer cuddy cab over with me... its going to be an expensive trip but hopefully it will be worth it ......As i am very eager to try out my new Fishing outfit on the tuna Which is a shimano 15kg backbone series with a shimano charter special spooled with 30 pound braid.....

Have you actually tried braid out on the tuna as i am very interested to see how braid is when trolling for tuna....

Anyway it sounds as if ya had a ball brian i wish i was out there with you guys chasing the buggers but hey some have to put up with just snapper i spose

anyway brian cheers mate

ps how did the norseman go or is it still up north

ozdevil

gday oz devil hope it all comes together for ya .sounds like a hell of a plan bringing the boat down here to tas. let me know when the time gets closer and i can give you a update on how they are running.nice rod & reel. (shimano the only way to fish)i havent tried any other lines only mono so im not much help to you.the only charter boat i saw was the big pig.im hopeing to take my boat down sat.hopefully they will still be afew inshore.the ones we followed out the back of the rock were last seen heading your way at 300 mph.might sound like a silly question but cant they be caught in s/a or is it only for the big boats .