Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Tassie Bluefin

Re: Tassie Bluefin

gday mick how are ya tonight.. mate i think you could be right about turning left instead of right... a mate of mine did just that last year berlyin sharks..he caught 2 blue shark and one mako out off the sisters rock.( ya got me thinking now.) mate as far as the problem of the tiller steering goes; sometimes if i could put a pole up in the middle of the boat; all i would need is a canvas and i would have me a real live circus. last time i switched the motor of and chased it all around the boat till i got it on the double.. but im learning a bit about boat handeling from my mate iv;e been going with lately. he is pretty well switched on as far as that goes...mick diving fortescue ; mate i think i have probibly had my head under every rock in that bay.. there are not many size crays there anymore; but with a bit of effort i can uasually get my bag and a nice feed of abs... mate the only wrecks i have dived there is a old kelp cutter in the bay there is not much to see though.. the only other wrecks i now of are in a 100 plus meters of water...thats to deeeep for me mate.....as far as the bay goes it is one of the safest dives in tassie in my opinion. howerer mate the water is always so clear and blue i sometimes get the jitters there is some biiiiig bitties out ther further..but mate i beleive that you would never see the one what really wanted to eat you.. it would happen when you was least expecting it.. so i dont bother looking for em any more....any way mate gotta go for now see ya latter...... brian

gday blaze.. those islands great ab country mate would love to dive them... yamaha way to go mate great stuff...blaze im hanging in here and we are organizing to come up that way and fish in the king fish comp... mate could you please keep me posted on how things are going up there.. we thought we would leave it till the comp was on so as we would be able to get an idea of were to go and get some idea of how to fish them...blaze while i got ya is it possible to fish the tamar for snapper with out dragging a boat up there; or is it a boat only type area... anyway mate i gotta go for now the missus is gunna rip all the cords outta this computa if i dont go to bed right now..... see ya latter..... brian

Gday Brian

Mate its good i have ya thinking becuase really up heading toward the three sisters and maria really opens up a new area for small craft....I have fished up there once on The hallams boat many many years ago this was when Ash hallam was still around the area...I also think up around this area by memory might be a good spot for land based game fishing as well specially around the tesalated pavements......

I have heard from a few people that the odd occasion there is bluefin popping there nose in pirates bay.........The blowhole on the other side of it off course i think can be a very good place to live bait......

Steve Starling pointed something out to me in what he has sussed out of the area when he was fishing for bluefin down there back in 1993 i think that as you just come out of fortesque there is a nice ledge that would produce good tuna......I also believe that he may be right...this all land based gamefishing Brian i am talking about.....

Mate ya prolly right about the crays as it is a popular place around fortesque to fish and camp everyman and his dog has prolly fished out all the good crays.....

Mate if i get to come over for next years tuna season we will have to get together and try some of these locations out for for the bluefin.....

Gday Rob

Sounds like ya have a nice little boat setup there......Island hopping mate these island i reckon would hold some good fishing Spots i have never fished the islands up around your way and i think they are not much talked about really.....

Rob whats the chances of getting a few albacore or the odd bluefin up around your way.....I think gamefishing is very underated in the north and nor west regions....I have heard from some people from burnie saying they have caught some albacore... i dont know how true this is......But i think there is great possibilities.......

I don't know if it is possible but if ya can get a oat around Marrawah area i think this could be a great place for gamefishing...But i can See where the problem arises as there is no shelter for boats if it turns nasty...

anyway cheers
    mick

gday mick.. yep you heard right last year the blues were caught within 5 min of the boat ramp at eagle hawk neck..and the odd yellow fin did the same the year before..mate if you can ever get down here i wouldn;t worry to much about rock hoppin. i will organize a trip on the big pig...the skippers name is stuart nichols and he is the new guru of tuna fishin down here.. mate i dont know why but that boat is a real fish magnet....mate im not not saying that rock hoppin is out of the question as it could be done. i just worry about all that walking..they reckon its good for ya but i dont know. mate i got a map out tonight to check out s/a and i now where all the fish are over there looks to me like they would be hanging around cape du couedic just behind kangaroo island... what do ya recon about that mate. or is it to far out. it dont look very far on the map ???any way mate hope you had a bit of luck talking your dad into going fishin... ps... mate if i can get the weather right i will go to the sisters next sat..see ya latter mate.... brian

Gday Brian

Mate that sounds great a trip out on a decent boat i just may have to take ya up on the offer as some changes to my plans as i have may have been conned into chasing some big stuff up nsw way around Port stephens i think....But i am still going try my hardest to get to tas Brian and we can get out for a decent fish....

anyway better go entertain the folks

catchya later
    mick

Ausfish Addict

Hi Brian n Oz..how way ya weekend. did you get any fishing in ? Mooloolaba was blown out early today so come home a few hours ahead of time. we fished from 1pm to 8pm friday night and 11am to 5pm saturday. Not many fish caught by the boats out there. Every fish that come over the side went back just as quick red emperer, squire,parrot, maori cod, spangled emperer and wrasse. I think we need heaps of rain up here to get the shallow reefs firing. The sea was very sloppy with variable 10 to 15 knot winds which didnt help either. but it was good to be back on the water and away from suburbia.
    cheers.

Gday Jaybee

Mate i have done any fishing at all as i have my family visiting me for a couple of weeks so puts my fishing out of action for awhile...Mate at least you got out as i was down at victor yesterday looking out to the water i could see a huge school of Salmon and just wishing i could have been out there catching the buggers...

oh well the first thing i will be doing when they head back is to go fishing....

anyway better go

gday mick / jaybee no fishing this weekend either.. it will be on next weekend tho.. i went to the tuna club dinner / trophy night last night and meet some real nice people,and had areal good night.... one thing of intrest was a prize for capture of a blue fin which had been tagged in w/a by the c.s.i r.o over there...it ended up down here in tassie and the bloke who caught it was rewarded $200.00 for returning the tag to c.s.i.r.o (what a bargain)..... brian

Ausfish Addict

Best of luck for next weekend guys, i have to work but am hoping to go out tomorrow and have a fiddle around at the mouth of the river
    cheers.

Gday Brian

gee its been awhile that we have replied to each other but i have found it hard to get online while the folks have been over visiting....I never did get out while they were over as we were to busy doing the sight seeing stuff....

Brian I have sent some rigs over to you for snapper which my father will place in ya letterbox in the next few days...

anyway hopefully now i will be able to get in full swing of fishing again as the folks went home today.....even thou i will only be able to fish fo whiting and the small stuff as the snapper season has come to a close...

anyway mate i better go so i will talk to you a little later...

cheers

Mick

gday mick welcome back... hope you enjoyed your time with the folks..mate i had a great day on sat my mate daniel and i went down to tasman island and got some striped trumpeter.. they were pretty hard to find without a sounder so we only managed 4 all up.. the biggest was 5kg caught by me.. the others were around the 3-4 kg mark..i caught my 2 down at tasman..on the way back to fortescue we stopped in behind the lanterns and in only 50 mts of water my mate caught the other 2 plus we got a nice few morwong..mate even though we caught them on hand lines i was pretty happy about the whole day.. especially now i know that i can target them out of my boat..(no need to go to tasman)..i am going to go down again this sat and this time were gunna try using the rods in shallower water...mate i will thank your dad for the rigs if i see him... but if i miss him thank him for me will ya... anyway mick nice to chat to you again and hope you can get a bit of fishing in soon mate...... see ya for now mate..... brian

Gday Brian

Mate i have a bit of news to tell ya....Mate i could be over at chrissy time So we may have to catch up and have a fish asMy father has promised me a free trip over on his frequent flyers.....which i am also still thinking of coming over in april as well to do some tuna fishing...

Mate at this stage i am planning a trip out this thursday as i am very very eager to get the boat out and the following week i am prolly heading over to stansbury with my fishing club.......

Mate the rigs i have given you will need sinkers and the next ones that will send over will be done a tiny bit different to the ones i sent but still the similar.....as the top hook will be able to slide...

Mate The weather today wasnt bad but as i am sitting here the wind is howling in.....but that will be good as it will bring the whiting in..

Brian funny you say the Lanterns ..I know there is a rather big Bluefin that likes to get in a ledge around there as i know a guy i used to fish with Alby Sutcliffe lost a big blue around that area.... I know there has been some good hook ups in between the lanterns and fortesque on high tide...

anyway its good to hear from ya once again and its great to be back.....

cheers
    mick

gday mick... great stuff mate i hope you do come over at xmas and we will definatly go fishing might even throw the dive gear in and get ya a feed of crays, as the season opens nov 1. the albacore might even be on the move by then...iv,e been thinking about those rigs you are sending me. from what ive read about snapper they seem to like the same sort of areas as trumpeter..(do you think the same style of rig would apply)... mate i forgot to tell you last night....when we were down at tasman sat a couple of blokes pulled up along side us and asked if we had done any good..... mate i had just caught my bigest stripie ever so i thought i show these blokes, so i stuck the chest out and proudly held up my fish 8) that was alright till they heaved 2 giant trumpeter of the deck uf ther boat.... mate these 2 fish without exagerating would have been atleast 1 meter long a perfect matching pair i estimate 15-20 kg. that has really got me going mate i have just got to have me a fish like that..... mate sounds like a great day coming up for you going out with your club..is it a tornament or just a day of fun ???were in for a windy few days down here in tas hope it blows itself out by the weekend... mate i have got a weeks holiday on the 9th of september cant wait for that one either...anyway mate i just done that bloody IQ test on tv and it confirmed to me that yes i am an idiot ... anyway mate better go for now......brian...ps hope you can get over at xmas i will probibly talk ya ears of thou got heaps i would like to ask you about...

Gday Brian

Mate i metre long stripies mate thats would have to be huge as there isnt to many of them around these days i think...Mate even 5kg stripie is pretty good in my book mind you i think i would release a 20kg stripey as i think a couple of stripies will do the dinner plate...

Mate I think you are on the right track as far as structure is concerned for snapper...Mate i would quitely try and fish for for them around Tasman and the lanterns and prolly around the rock mate....but i would first sound around to see if you have any good drop offs or ledges that are prominent....and drift over the ledges like ya do for stripies if it is possible around the lanterns is to prolly anchor send down a burley bomb and put a few squid heads or pillies down to the bottom and have a few around the middle and a unweighted rig and just let the current do its work...Mate i think this would bethe way to go we may just have to have a shot at these around chrissy time thats if i do get to come over...

Mate i cant weight till thursday hopefully if the weather calms down here i will be definitely be heading out...I will be chasing King george chinese fish and i may even try for a shark like a bronzie or a hammer....
    as i will be taking out a new guy out on thursday and he has told me he hates shark but little does he know that i am going to put a couple of rods over the side for a toothy.....and he is going to be the gaffman....hell i am cruel..... anywway all in all it should be a good day out....

Mate when i head over to stansbury to fish with the club it will be tournement between the club....i am actually looking forward to it as it will be my first comp in 3-4years as i have only just rejoined the club.....so looking forward to get a bit more serious ...

Mate if i dont get over at christmas time and if thwe lovely lady of mine agrees we will definately be over in april sometime and i will pack my gamerods up and if the funds are there i will be bringing my boat.

anyway mate i better go and i will talk to ya later...

cheers
    Mick

Did my father drop those rigs off to ya

gday mick... mate i got those rigs today thanks.. i think if im right the 2 hook setup would be for whole fish baits and the single ones would be used with a running sinker..but im only guessing...nice bit of snell work to mate,i have never tried to tie on of them look neat though...the wife must have been at work when ya dad dropped them of so tell him thanks for me willya...mate hows the weather looking for you trip tomorrow the wind is really having a go down here there is even a land gale warning...mick its up to you if you want to bring your boat down go for it, but im sure i can arrange a trip on a charter boat or my mates boat,its still not as big as yours (15ft midnight) but its been back from tasman in some big water heaps of times...then there is always my punt usually good enough on the right day...having said that the missus dad has just booked himself and his van on the new and it only cost him $100.00 one way... a charter would cost between $600 and $800 but i could rope a few mates in to share the cost of a trip... any way mate something to think about.... thanks again mick for the rigs i will get you to tell me abit about how to fish them not all in one post if ya dont want to though, as i,ve noticed trying to explain things in type can be a long process..took some more photos on sat of the stripies but havent finished the film yet i will email ya when i finish the film.its one of them desposible under water ones so there might even be some action shots on it cant remember.. mate i read that you can catch the same trumpeter over your way but there regarded as a nuisance fish over there.. what the hell is going on there mate it doesnt say why in the mag... ...any way mate i've been raving on like a lunatic so if you dont get time to answer all my stupid questions doesent mater ... i got abit carried away see ya for now mate......... brian