Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Tassie Bluefin

Re: Tassie Bluefin

Gday Brian

Mateit is a plan mate just matter of coming up with the finances and finding a buddy to fish with while over there who actaully likes gamefishing and has a bit off understanding as most of my mates over there in Tas are not big on gamefishing just prefer to put around for flathead.........Another reason why i want to bring the boat across as to see how well she handles Tassies conditions cos if all goes according to plan in about 2-3 years i maybe moving back.....

Anyway about the Bluefin in Over here mate We can catch them we just have to drive great distances to get them....Port lincoln and Port mcdonell or mcdonald are the Places to be and it is big boat territory i wouldnt venture out in less then a 5 metre....In the Gulfs its very shallow and Tuna havent been seen for years in the gulf..... Which i think a dam shame as water temps will hold em in The gulf as the gulf is around 17 degrees at the moment...

Apperently of Victor harbour 20 odd years ago the last bluefin showed up and you could them with a 12 foot tinny so i have been told.....

Unfortunately Gamefishing here in South Australia is not really viable as i believe they are very patchy and not really as stable as they are down Tas....

I am planning a couple of trips either to port lincoln or Port Mcdonnell next year but if i tie in my tassie trip if according to the plan i may be able to get a trip in down at port mcdonnell....

Mate Has Tassie started to cotton on to GPS yet as i think they are such a handy device as i can remember when i left Tassie no one had gps except the charter guys.....I would be lost with out my gps....

So Brian when your luanching down there in ya 4 mtre do you leave from pirates or fortesque......and have they updated the ramp at fortesque yet...

Hows the stripey fishing going down that way they getting a few of them when things are quite with the bluefin????

anyway cheers mate

ozdevil

G'Day ozdevil, Sounds like I am pretty lucky down here in Tassie.(Mate you gotta get out of there.) Suppose a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do. Anyway I will try to answer your questions. A few blokes are using G.P.S. I don't know much about them though cos when it comes to electronics I am an idiot. Anyway it would probably just be something else I would lose, bust, drown or have to get fixed. I always use the Fortescue ramp, it has a walkway now and has been fixed up a bit. The big boys still have trouble at low tide though cos it's still a bit short. The trumpeter are out there, it's just been a bit windy to have a good go at them. We were going to have a go at them on Sunday but when we lost our only fish I demanded to my mate that we keep on trolling. In the hope of redeeming myself. By the way you had me going with th swamp trout bit, I haven't heard that one before.(Carp, right?) They have destroyed Lake Crescent and Sorell down here. You have still got me on the dodge tide and bloodworm run though. ??? Got to go fro now mate(bloody work).Brian.

Gday Brian

Mate ya wanna get yaself a GPS mate they do come in Very handy ya can get ones the can be permently mounted in the boat so ya dont lose them.....

Mate Swamp trout Ya bloody right there Carp... Not much fun to eat but they are a great fertiliser and bait for Blue swimmers and they do put up a good fight on light line....but my ultimate frshwater fish i wanna go for is the goodoo mate they are a prized catch here in S.A and Vic......

Brian a Dodge Tide is when there is no water movement or very little between the tides which brings no fish about

The blood worm run

Well it something that only comes once a year and it happens in july and brings the fish in but one problem the fish feed heavily on these blood worms as the blood worms are heading out to sea....and the fish dont bite as well as they are pretty full up.....

When this happens the water looks like blood....Its an interesting thing to see.....

Its good to see fortesque is getting a little better.....Mate if i could move back tommorow and have a full time job i prolly would move back but as you know employment down In Tas is pretty well slim.....

My fiance and me have Said we will move back one day but its just a matter of when......I do hope to be back in Tassie living with in the next couple of Years....

So What is Happening with Lake crescent and Sorell is the inland fisheries still trying to get rid of the flamming carp......

Anyway time to hit the sack So ciao for now

cheers
    ozdevil

gday ozdevil. GOODOO.what the !!!!!!! mate i told ya, ya gotta get out of there before it's too late. Interesting thing about the bloodworms, never knew about that. The fisheries have been netting and electro fishing to try and get rid of the swamp trout (I like that one). My understanding of it is that they stun them with some kind of electrical devise and they float to the surface. Don't quote me on that one though. 30-40 knot s.westerlies on Sat, you gotta be kidding. I haven't got the Sunday forecast yet but I don't like the look of it. Alright mate gotta go now and have a think about those bloody Goodoo. Brian. P.S What kind of work do you do, I'll find you a job so that you can do some real fishing.

Gday Brian

Mate 30-40 knot south westerlies mate ya can have them but its going to be worse here this weekend as its a dodge tide the fish dont bite to well but hopefully i will be out after a jewie with a live shittie......

Mate they were doing that way back in 96 with those electric stunning things they would be better of dragging a net accross it.....

Mate a goodoo is a murray cod mate very good fish but most people release these days just for pure respect for the fish.....

Mate I used to be a cnc machinist mate i am currently between work at the moment bloody buggars put me off 2 weeks ago becuase work they had no work for me...

But far as work goes i will do just about anything......

Mate i would dearly love to get back to tassie someday hopefully in the near future to live so i can do some real fishing.....

anyway cheers mate

ozdevil

gday ozdevil.no fishing this weekend. (gale wind warning).murry cod mate read something obout them a while ago . is it true that they are becoming a threatened species. mate i never tried using shittie as bait.mine uasually stinks to much and i recon it wouldnt stay on the hook to good. i never heard of cnc machineist i might need bit more info on that one .hope your weekend is a bit more fishy than mine see ya latter mate .brian

Gday Brian

Mate it is true they are becoming a bit that way and what makes things worse in My opinion is that the South australian fisheries are suggesting we should stock up on bloody trout where Murray Cod is part of the fishery here in South Australia...Its really unbelieveble what governments think of...

Mate a shittie here is what ya call a striped trumpeter believe it or not very good jewfish bait

Mate the weather is absolutely a shocker here this weekend i went and had a look this morning and i said to myself iaint heading out in that bloody washing machine...as we have had some storms here yesterday with hail as big as golf balls thunder and lightning and i thought i could nearly luanch me boat in the back yard thats how bad we had it here yesterday and today well calm on the land but the water was being a prick...

Mate if the weather gods treat me bad i send the weather down to you Tasmanians so i dont feel bad

cheers

ozdevil

gday ozdevil the wind down here is really howling. i know a bloke who was going down after tuna in a big boat this weekend .i will be seeing him tommorow to see how he went.mate i know what you mean about the fisheries. over here in there great wisdom they decided to stock lake pedder with more trout .now instead of having a trophy lake with average weight of fish being 10-13 lb we now have average fish being 1-2 lb they just cant help them self.mate ive got a good video here at home called sport fishing tasmania, with steve starling.he catches bluefin yellow fin marlin .dont know if you might find it over there in the video shop it is pretty old but well worth watching. ok mate better git going for now brian66

Gday Brian

Mate i have seen theat video upteen manytimes the other month i actually reminded starlo of his adventures from down South......

I new the guys who were fishing on the harvenger when Steve Starling filmed that documentry and a friend of mine John Taylor i think organised that trip on the harvenger with Starlo....

Is John Squizzy Taylor still doing the right ups in the Sunday Tasmanian....

I actually use to fish with john a fair bit when i was living in Tas....

I tell ya what Brian all this talk about bluefin and Tassie mate its starting to make me feel homesick....i reckon if i didnt meet my woman i would be still stuck in Tassie..but the things we do for love....

So Does Ashley hallem Still poke around down south for the tuna or mako's????

anyway better go buddy its time i shut the eye lids

cheers

ozdevil

hello ozdevil mate it is a good video i have nearly wore mine out .sometimes i watch it the night before a trip.john taylor still writes the fishing bit in the sunday tas and always does a great job.i should post it on the site but it uasually takes me about half an hour to type you a letter because i cant type for nuts.plus there might be some legal reason why not.the name hallem rings a bell.( dont know why).i got the report today from my mate at work .there were only a hand full of boats down there saturday. but they all caught tuna. average .40 kg. glad i didnt go he said it was rough as.he also said the looked like they weren't in a hurry to go any were.(there may still be hope for me) mate if i dont get to go this weekend i will probibly be divorced,cause i think see might be sick of me stressing.ps mate do ya really know steve starling or ya having a lend of me.see ya for now brian66

Gday Brian

Mate its great to see the bluefin still hanging about and looks as if you may get out eventually this weekend best day most likey will be Saturday with a 60% prediction and 50% being on a sunday according to my fishing predictor for Hobart ideally you should be out there tues wed thursday with predictions of 80%.....

Mate Do i know Steve Starling to be honest with you mate i have spoken to him on the odd occasion in a chat forum not the ausfish forum but another fish forum.....

mate it takes me an hour to type a post to ya mate its bloody hard when ya gotta type with ya little toe

mate i know what ya mean mate i havent been able to get for a while myself i started the boat up yesterday.....hopefully on Saturday i will get out and hopefully catch a few nogguns......but the only bad thing about catching these bloody nogguns mate is a 2/person limit but hopefully a few squire are hanging around as well and a few chinese fish.....

anyway mate don't stress to much buddy ya can always take a sickie

cheers

ozdevil

gday ozdevil. nogguns mmm.i think i got ya this time(snapper right)but you have got me on the other 2.mate i know what your saying obout your little toe, but think your self lucky you dont have to use ya elbow. mate i would like to have as much faith in your predictor as you have. doesent mater tho i will be going fishing somewhere cant wait any longer..... whats the go with snapper fishing over there mate do you use over head reels or alveys when boat fishing and whats your biggest.???? got to go now mate me elbows aching brian66

Gday Brian

Mate yep ya got with the word noggun but i thought you would be fimiliar withthe word squire cos a squire is a a young snapper and a chinese fish well thats what i call the whiting mate.....

Matei would have to say my biggest snapper would have to be around the 6kg mark only a baby compared to some of the thumpers that we get here in S.A.....Mate Depends on whats around around mate i usually take a couple of overheads out with me for the bigger Snapper but generally for Squire i would use the eggbeater mate....... what happens when you get onto a snapper the first initial hit is a long fast run and then after that the snapper just give a few head shakes and then generally come to the boat ....

Most people use overheads here but i general go with what i am comfortable with.....i wouldnt even trust the alvey's i own mate cos they need reconditioning as i was given about 10 alveys that are probably over 30 years old now......

Snapper fishing can be quite boring but then ya know all about that from tuna fishing mate.....ya can spend a lot of hours chasing a snapper as ya gotta burley and burley for them at times in certain areas but if they are there mate its just a matter of chucking a pillie down and bang ya on.....but if you want some decent action send out a live tommy mate.........just never use snapper on snapper mate its a big no no.....

Mate i don't have much faith in the predictor myself but they can be right to a point as all it is after al an alamnac.....

anyway gotta go buddy

cheers

ozdevil

gday ozdevil mate this internet fishing is a bit addictive do ya think.its good thou cause the wife doesent want to listen to me rave on about fishing all the time,so this way she dont have to.. mate this time of the year drives me nuts cause the cray season is closed. when the weather sucks and the cray season is open we uasually go diving some where out of the wind.dont know if you have ever had a go at diving but i think if you ever get the chance go for it is a real rush..... i like the sound of this snapper fishing it sounds a bit like bream fishing only better.think when i get these bloody tuna out of my system i will go up to the tamar and have a go at it. i will also have to get back to some basic fishing.there is just some thing about catching big fish that makes me keep going back while missing out on the simple things in life.( jesus listen to me raving on) better go now mate before i make a real .... head out of my self regards brian

Gday Brian

Mate yes it can be a tad addictive specially on days when ya cant get otu for a fish....I have the same kind of problem mate the woman hates me mentioning fishing...So this is a good a place as any to talk about i..... I love hearing whats going on in Tassie mate as ya know i was born and bred there....Its really great being able to talk to some Tasmanians mate seeing thou there is not to many about on the net....

Mate i Reckon you would love the snapper fishing mate i reckon ya should save ya pennys mate get over here at easter time for the whyalla Snapper comp this is when the big Snapper are around but i have never fished that comp yet....like to maybe next year...

Crays mate havent had a cray for years buddy the last time i would ave had a cray would have 1996-7 there abouts....

Mate Diving hey well mate i dont think i will be giving that one a go mate i would love to mate but i am a very bad asthmatic and it may cuase me a few hassles....Plus i wouldnt even go swimming over here in SA at the beaches here bloody white pointer country mate I am yet to see one over here..

I don't know wether yeah heard last year a whale was found dead near cape jervis which is about 150k out of adelaide and there was several white pointers hanging around feeding and this idiot thought what a good stunt stand on the whale with his son on his shoulder with 16 foot whites circling the dead carcass still feeding.....

Mate Snapper fishing its good fun and if ya want mate i will send a Snapper rig over to ya in the way we do it over here...

anyway better go and spend some time with the woman

catchya

ozdevil