Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Tassie Bluefin

Re: Tassie Bluefin

Gday Brian

Yes mate its a compitition and there is about 3 clubs involved....Mate you are right there will be other boats out there as this area is pretty popular for the snapper mate..... Its nothing like the depths of the tasman sea mate the depths would be about 20-50 metres....As it still inthe Gulf mate.....

Mate i would come fishing with ya mate but its a bit to far just for the day ...Mate if you dont get anyone to go with you why not just have a bit of a fish around from bream mate they should be biting very well mate specially around shag bay rose bay area....MAybe do a flatty session down cremorne mate....

anyway mate i better go getting late here as well

cheers

Mick

Hi Brian & Mick
    I have been a bit quiet lately. Just brought a Garmin Etrex gps off sold.com. They tell me they retail for $455, I paid $250 for it new with out retail box, hope the bloody thing goes. Yep I am keen to go on this charter when the time is right. thanks for the invite, catch ya soon.
    blaze

gday mick...mate i cant find port hughes on my map,which gulf is it in..... ???....mate did you get that mail i sent,just thought i would remind you to look in the fine print about the spirit starting its day crossings after xmas as i think you would save a bit of money that way because you wouldent need a cabin......well mate its that time of the year over here the days are drawing out...( a bit more daylight) so that means we start work abit earlyier instead of getting out of bed at 5.00 i now got to get out at 4.00 (how uncivilised is that)it takes about an hour and a half to get to my job from my house..mate i think that i am going to have to get another job cause im geting to old for that sort of s..t ..anyway mate i think that i might have found a mate to go sat..i will find out tommorow for sure..mate you will have to move back to tas ithink that i may have burnt out all my other fishing mate ...anyway mate not to much else to say tonight and i better get some sleep so that i dont sleep in for @#*^#@ work..till next time mate......brian

Gday Rob

Mate you are More then welcome to come on this charter with us mate ..... Brian is going to be giving the Skipper of the Big Pig a call Soon for me on which will be the best time that we should book even thou we have good idea when....

Blaze You won't go wrong with a gps mate it is really a great tool for fishing and all that mate they are pretty accurate these days....Mate i saw a similar gps on ebay the other night and the guy was from Hobart.....
    Mate gps saves alot of time in my book as once you get to your spot you can put a markerbuoy down and start drifting along and you know where you have started from and this can be ideal when locating snapper...As i said the markerbuoy is your starting point and you can always come back to that position to start once again...

I have a gps chartplotter in my boat Rob they are really handy as it shows me a map of the coastline where i am and i have put cmap chart of the area i fish and gives the areas i fish a lot more detail as in depth of water etc...

Dont run your gps near the compass on ya boat mate as i think that actually will interfere with your gps....

Mate when i come over to tas next year with anyluck i might even try to get to Smithton For a bit of Fish as well so we might have the chance to meet up again up there....but it will prolly be during the week we would have to fish together if your interested in that....As i also wouldnt mind calling on Malcom Brown and his mother as i havent had the chance to see my aunty Since my uncle died a few years back.....

Anyway if i keep on talking mate i will where this blody keyboard out mate so cheers

Mick

gday blaze..a gps mate you will have to let me know what you think about it as mick is telling me that they are the go and i think that he may be right cause the type of fishing i have been doing lately i think that it would be real handy...mate that would be great mate if you did want to come down and do a charter if mick makes it over latter next year..we will give plenty of notice if it is a goer mate cause i know if you are like me mate it is hard to to find money at short notice..any way blaze i hope to get up your way soon and have a chatt or a fish with you....ps mate any more news on the snapper- king fish...hope to chatt again soon to you mate....brian

Gday Brian

MAte i didnt get the goods in the mail today prolly tommorow mate i am looking forwards to reading it mate......
    What a bummer with ya working situation mate 4am starts mate i know how ya must feel mate i used to work i used to start at 6pm and finish at 6am 7days a week mate never again if i can help it..

Mate Port Hughes is in the spencer gulf mate its prolly about 150 k away from Adelaide.....Port Hughes is near Walleroo.....

anyway mate not much to skite about tonight either but its good to see ya got someone to go with on the weekend....

Mate to be honest with you i have been contemplating when i will be making the move back to tassie at this stage it might be about 2-3 years time but i would count my chickens till they hatch

anyway cheers

mick

gday mick..i found port hughes on the map mate it doesent look like a very big bay on the map mate but i emagine that it is a huge area of water....the map i have tells me that the average depth out there is about 26 fathoms,and goes out to about 55 ftm just behind kangaroo island...mate i can now see what you mean about the water being shallow over there compared to tasmanian standards,were we can be fishing in a average depth of about 50 fathoms with a 15 min run of most coastal boat ramps...anyway mate im pissed of cause im not going tomorow now mate cause the bloke i was going fishing with told me this morning that he would not be able to go after all...anyway mate i might dust of the bream rods and go buy my self as you sugested cause the bream are going nuts down the river at the moment and i am told that the average size is about 2kg..so i just might sugest to joanne that we take the kids down maybe sunday...mate i will be all reved up after this week cause i am having a weeks holiday starting on the 9th sep...so i hope to have lots to tell you about that week..any way mate have a good weekend over there and look after yourself......latter mate....brian

Gday Brian

Mate i got your info in the mail today mate thanks very much for that...

Mate what a bit of a bummer for ya mate backing out at the last minute....Mate I dont think you could go wrong fishing closer to home mate as you still will get out on the water mate....

Mate Where i will be fishing at Port hughes mate is What they call the steamers channel i think which is fair way off shore i know ya cant see land from where it is....But this is a rather bigg channel and this is where some big snapper hang out mate So it will be interesting...

Anyway mate I am actually thinking of heading out tommorow myself as i have heard some snapper have arrived of glenelg So i might just try to get out there in the morning....

anyway mate i havent got much more to say so take care and look after yaself as well mate...

Cheers
    mick

gday mick...mate i didnt make it out today i caught up on a few things that needed to be done around here so that i can fish with danial next weekend..mate the thing about him is as obsessed as me when it comes to his fishing so if its not windy it will be a sure thing that we will be out there..mate i cant wait till january cause thats when the tuna club has its first day out which will be a bottom fishing day...next club day after that will be the shark fishing comp which will be great also..the boat i will be fishing on this year did all right last year with a mako about 6ft long caught on the shelf which is were we will be fishing for them this year hopefully......mate there was a good series of fishing shows all about fishing tasmania here on tv resently.it is finished now but i saw on tv that they have released the series on video..i will go and track down a copy and see if i can find some one to copy it for me so i can send it to you..mate hopefully mate it will contain the whole series which had everything from fishing for broadbill on the shelf,snapper fishing the tamar, yellow fin flinders island,blue fin fishing tasman island..ect...anyway mate i will check it out when i got a spare few dollars....well mate i hope you got out today.. well mate thats about it for me tonight talk to you again soon....... brian

Gday Brian

Mate I never got out at all today other commitments that i forgot about but not to worry thou mate as long as there is water next week i will be out there having ago at the bigguns mate....It is a rather sad weekend here really for our household as it is being fatherdays and my father being in Tas.. and cheryls father spending his time building a house in heaven its rather sad really just starts to make you think about life a bit and how much you treasure it mate... Dont get me wrong we still try to make the weekend kind of happy for us both...Its just one time of the year i get very well homesick....

Anyway mate i will stop chatting about that....

Mate that video would be good if you could get it copied and i will pay for the copy no probs there mate as you know i love keeping up with the fishing in Tasmania after all its where i was born and bred mate.....

Mate it is good trying to find someone that has the same passion about fishing as yourself mate they are far and few i think as it also helps when planning decent trips away mate as you have the same things in common and you only ave to look at each other and say yes or no....I am still to find someone like that over here in S.A...

Anyway mate i better go as it is late and i am rather tired for a saturday night...anyway i hope next weekend i get out for a fish....

cheers
    Mick

gday mick...mate dont worry about paying for a copy of the video when i get it,its just something i would like to do....mate you are right about finding some one who is realiable to fish with..in the short time that i have known danial which amounts to about 10 trips we have got to the stage where we have an understanding of each other right down to who does what from the launching of the boat,all the little jobs on the boat like cutting enought bait so that there is always enought for both of us..sharing expenses right down the middle..its just like a well oiled machine mate and all this is done without thought and without question...mate i watched the rex hunt show today and there was bit about snapper fishing in a place called western port in victoria.....mate it was great stuff and i really do envy you over there.. fishing for snapper mate is going to be high on my list of things that i must do this year...anyway mate i got to get lunch and stuff ready for tommorow so i better get to it....till next time mate.......brian

Gday Brian

Mate its great to have a fishing Partner like that i have done prolly a quite a few trips with one mate i still have to tell him what parts of the boat i like him to help on and all that but he is getting alot better as each trip goes by....but he does share the expense mate but its hard for me to ask him to cover half the cost of fuel mate as it costs me about 100 bucks to fill being 130litre tank but when i we are fishing locally we wouldnt use anymore then 20 bucks in fuel anyway so as far as bait and fuel goes i just ask him for 20-30 bucks depending what fish we plan to attack....

Mate I maybe living in the land of snapper mate but they are far and few between as far as the knuckles go mate you really have to put alot of time and money into snapper fishing brian Specially with burley and bait are the biggest costs here but time is another thing you have to prepared to fish overnighters as well mate.....Mate I hope you do get ya first snapper this seasonmate i would envy you alot mate as i have never caught a snapper in Tassie before so that will be something you have done before me....Mate another good fish that you would wanna try for is kingfish mate we are starting to get kingfish here in South Oz quite regular in numerous locations....

But getting back to Snapper mate this is where you wanna get yaself a gps mate i Don't mean to be pushy here but it will help you find these snapper spots again if you are that keen to target them and get one as you may wanna do a few trips this season for them...Mate Snapper fishing is really alot of hard work its long and tedious work but the results are brilliant if you get a knuckle and you will know it is a knuckle when one hits you will think you have a steam train on mate and a few good head shakes very good tell tale signs...

Mate also when you get a hook up mate of a snapper don't and i stress dont slacken ya line at anytime during the fight as you will ose the fish.. i even suggest that even if you get a good hit from a ray or a shark play it like ya fighting a snapper dont give the fish slack at all the first few moments mate just hold on until he finishes running then pump and wind as you do with tuna....

Mate you will have a ball mate when ya go snapper fishing mate just remeber fish the tides this is one time you have to take notice of tides wind conditions and just read and read and watch as much as you can on snapper mate and ask ask questions mate to help yaself get ya first snapper.....

Remeber snapper fishing is still new to Tasmania really....

Mate i better stop prattling on a bit mate and start thinking of hitting the sack myself....

Oh thatnks mate if ya get the chance to copy the video mate....Also Through this week sometime i am doing some Surf Fishing mate so i wont be giving the boat a run this weekend coming but i will be chasing Some of S.A's well known Salmon mate as there is a few about at the moment just a few cocky salmon around 3-4kg mate so i am looking forward to that.....It may even get me interested in Surf fishingas this will be the first time surf fishing which i will be fishing at Waitpinga mate which is heading down towards cape jervis and Kangeroo island way mate.....

anyway i better sign of mate and hit the sack as i wanna be up early in the morning as i am on a bit of a fitness spree at the moment as i walk about 4-5k a day at the moment just to shed a few kilo of the old tyre of mine...

anyway cheers mate

Mick

Hi All
    gps arrived today, pick it up tomorrow. The guys that catch the snapper up this way regularly hang back on the anchor rope in the current untill x marks the spot with the gps. i have a feeling in the spot at the petrels(island) that you need to be within 20 odd feet of x. Still none boated yet. they tell me there is a lot of bait fish in the bass strait at the moment and 1 theory is that the snapper follow them this way( what do you guys think) and what else follows them, interesting.
    went out sunday to Perkins and robins island and fish hard for 4 flathead (keepers) and 2 back in. Caught a huge gurnard on a soft plastic. drifting along and hung this thing straight down just to watch the action and try to learn how to fish them and out of the blue bang, realy attact the thing with a lot of agession, really could be the thing of the future. so brain no snapper yet or any thing else with a bit of size
    catch ya later
    (what a mouthful or should i say a typeful)

gday mick..thanks mate for all those tips...the more i hear about snapper the more i know i must have a go at these fish....mate putting in time to try and catch one of these fish wouldent worry me a bit because that is one of the reasons i want to catch a snapper, cause i now that it is not going to be easy..if it was going to be easy then it wouldent be as important....mate i understand that the more you learn about a certain fish the more prepared you are when you fish for them....mate since i have been chatting to you over the last few months i have dragged all of my fishing mag colection out of the shed which stands about 4ft tall stacked..mate i have found myself going back through all those mags and reading things that i would not have read before such as snapper articles, kingfish,,and i have even read some of the stories on jew fish...i guess what i am trying to say is that lately i have been trying to think outside the square...i think for to long i have been stuck in the same rut as far as only targeting easy to catch fish...i think that is why i am so obsessed with strippies lately cause they are proving to be a bit hard to catch,so at the moment we are learning more and more each trip,and by asking others there opinions and ideas we can only improve...mate i have asked blaze to keep me posted on things up north so hopefully when things start to fire up there we will head up and do a bit of looking and learning...danial and i talked about going up for the kingfish classic when its on..mate there is no good of us going up there expecting to catch fish thou as neather of us have ever fished up there before ,but we figure there will be lots of boats we can watch and learn where and how they fish..sort of a sneaky fact finding mission if you get my meaning...any way mate i had better get going there is lots more to say mate but the time has beat me tonight...mate i am sick of these 4 oclock starts at work already...but isnt funny how we can bounce out of bed if its a fishing trip that starts at 4...anyway mate till next time.... brian

Gday Blaze

Mate what you are saying is quite right in alot of ways as the snapper are holding in around the reefs channels or dropp offs mate and you don'y particularly wanna be right on top as you want your baits to drop into the area Specially if you a floating a pillie down the back through the berley..... Mate drift can be very benifical to the begginer trying to find a snapper and once you have found the snapper mark it off on your gps take particular notice of the ground covering where you get your snapper on the sounder... once you have got the gps marks mate do what you have been told by other people that you have spoken t...As it obvious to me they are not willing enuff to give you the marks to you so ya can catch a knuckle mate....Also Rob as you have notice it is taking you a fair while to get your first snapper and its obvious you still havent got one and by the sound of it Rob you lot your first Snapper mate As one thing a snapper will do is attack a jig or a bait on its way down...Did you notice how the fish took off when it hit the plastic #lure???? did it start going like a steam train....As i said in my last post to brian When a snapper hits you must keep line ya line tight and let him run for the first few minutes or to when he stops running then pump and wind.....I really do suspect you lost ya first snapper.....But dont worry mate go back this weekend suss it all out plug the marks into the gps and try again...go out specifically for snapper dont even attempt to catch a flattie or anything like that maybe try catching some of these bait fish that you say is hanging around and use these as live bait as these will will be good signs that there could possibly be a few knuckles around......

Mate gps you will be having fun with it tommorow mate you wont even bother thinking of jumping on the net...

anyway good luck with it rob lets us know how ya get on next time mate

Gday Brian

Mate when i first started fishing i thought it was fab just going after the bread and butter species mate but ya soon get sick of them and you want to start challenging yaself with new species as the humble flattie or the humble stripey is just not enuff to get the adrenilin pumping....

Mate in the past few years i have had to restart my fishing and learn how to catch the fish in new areas and i am still learning over here mate new species are popping up all the time... i have just recently found out a strongie (dont know what the technical name for the fish is yet) but i heard its a shit fish and feeds on weed and when it hits ya line it hits like a snapper but dulls off and ends in boring fight....

the thing is if i can help you get ya first snapper on ya first outing brian i will try ....and i would be seriously trying up Smithton for them......

Mate you are doing the right thing by reading up on ya old mags mate on how others prepare them selves for snapper fishing.....Mate its a pitty you cant get ya self over here to S.A mate in the next couple of months mate specially in october when i head over to port hughes mate for the convention i am going to as this would have been a great oppurtunity for you to fish for snapper......

Mate i like the way ya going about all this with the attitude is we prolly wont get anything but the thing is by gettting out there and having ago is the biggest thing and learning..in one of those articles you sent me Brian was a very good read on snapper in the Tamar....its a pitty he didnt go into more specifics really....

Mate well i am going to have a serious yarn with the missus this week or next and start things rolling on the trip to tassie next year...did you end up ringing the guy about the Big Pig for us....if not i will email him.....

anyway i better go mate and i will talk to ya soon

cheers

Mick