Thread: Zeeke's Mackmauler Slug

Zeeke's Mackmauler Slug

Made some of my own mackmauler slugs last friday and took them out for a test run the next day with a local Ausfisher and photographer, you all know as Dug, here is a couple of picts from the event, me and a Mac Tuna and then a gob shot revealing the lure that did the damage

Tim

Re: Zeeke's Mackmauler Slug

Gob Shot

as you can see, a very simple slug! 20gram barrel sinker with a stripe of gold tinsel used for fly tieing and 2 of those bubble eyes with the black bead that rolls around.. ofcourse, the slug is painted white like Rob recommended!

Tim

another shot heh, got bored

Congratulations on the catch! Nothing's neater than catching them on your own, home-made lures. Good going Zeeke!!!
    "When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.-- Mark Twain"

good one tim, one thing with the slug the eyelets are too big, by getting them very small the profile decreases = more bites, go get some more !

thanks for the tip Rob, ill make the eyelets smaller! hopefully next time i get out they'll work even better heehehe

Tim

fisher

Tim well done on the home made slugs it's good when ya catch'em on your own creations.But if ya gunna release them mate it's not good for them to be swingin off there jaws like that and make sure ya got wet hands or use gloves to give'em the best chance of survival.I use wet gloves 99% of the time or make sure my hands are wet and all clients were gloves when handling fish now days.Dry hands on fish is no good for them at all and I cring every time I see pics in mags of fish swingin by there jaws especially big bass and barra as most will swim away but die within the next day or so.I think catch and release practices need to be seriously looked at if were gunna be serious about it.Good to see ya gettin out of the rivers and chasin some speedsters.Paul

I Fully agree with you Paul! this fish tho was destined for the freezer, when catch and release comes into play, i carry an environet on the boat for less fish stress and less damage to the fish so they cant bang around and hurt themselves, next fish i catch will be netted and released after a couple of shots, im like you, catch and release is the way to go and i too cringe, esp when you see Rexxy on the big screen hangin a fish by the gob and flicking it around while he explains to the kids why you should catch and release

Tim

Tim,
    Have to fully agree with about Rexy - it seems he is only interested in the dollars rolling in and not the long term preservation of fish and the environment. He of course would have you believe otherwise. He does a great job of brainwashing kids.
    Cheers

Cindy

im not really talking bout the money side of things, but for someone like rex whose around sports fisherpeople all the time pretty much, you'd think he'd pick up a few tips and try and forward them onto the younger generation, #like for me, i go fishing a bit, 99.5% of the time, iam catch and release and try to protect my catch from over stressing..

ive got a lil bit over 7yrs experience in the pet trade and my field of expertise was aquariums, so i did a fair bit of study when it comes to fish so i understand what can truely stress a fish out and people dont understand,

the ocean isnt like a fish tank where you can pick and choose the inhabitants, you stress a fishtank fish out, it goes to the bottom, finds somewhere dark, sulks and usually develops a form of stress disease, like white spot, fin rot, mucus rot..

but when you throw a captured fish into the ocean thats been severely stressed, its gonna sink to the bottom, get all sluggish and get knocked off by a predatory fish, youve just messed up survival of the fittest, you possibly just caught the fittest, strongest healthiest fish in that school, stressed the crap out of it and made it the sickest, weakest fish around, then you imagine a Gazelle with a broken leg and a pride of lions sitting and watching, not hard to figure out there.. so yea..

i agree with Paul in his ways of catch of release, i believe in the ways of catch and release, i just think people like Rex should show people the right way of doing it and not the wrong way (like catching a small bream and tossing it back into the water 5-10 meters away so it makes a big slash on its side severely hurting the fish and possibly removing all protective mucus)

Tim

Dont get too carried away with release when your using macmauler slugs Timbo, they are designed to put fish in the esky

good point guys... funny thing is rex hunt owns a fish and chip shop! yeah thats some way to promote catch a release! i hate rex hunt.

I guess technically he is practising cattch and release - he catches it, then cooks it and releases it in batter to someone for a price! lol
    I agree, he is an idiot.