Re: Marlin

a view from the flybridge of my 120 blue

most of you have seen these.. but for the sake of the thread

another

not a marlin but a billfish none the less
    still yet to catch my first heavy tackle billfish (stripe or blue), dropped 2 blues now >.
    *note the lucky blue shirt *

haven't been lucky enough to have a go at a black yet, but here's my sailfish i got last year... this was caught on board Rob(mackmauler's) Ocean cylinder, same as in Jeffo's pic! UNFORGETTABLE!

great to see some very fine marlin there Martin as this is the 2000 post for me cant think of a better way to bring it up than post a billfish
    the days we spent catching them this summer rate amongst my finest memories, the weather was good for weeks and some huge bait schools rippled off the gold coast, every trip the water had that look of promise. they can be dangerous fish to handle and need some care to ensure they swim away to fight another day, if you need any ideas ask away.

cheers Rob

hey guys
    This is a great start, even though there are some sailfish cueing up but as you said its a billfish and it doesnt matter anyways
    i hvnt yet got a sailfish, because not many are caught in Coffs Harbour, actually VERY few at all, the last one reported wouldve been bit over a year ago now
    Any of you guys fishing the HOT CURRENT TORNAMENT down here in coffs?
    Great to see the pics
    Cheers
    TIGHT lines
    Martin

Sailfish are spectacular, probably the fastest of all billfish and the most acrobatic, would of thought coffs had a few more... ill post a pic of a black.

Hey mack
    Well.. maybe when im up your way next you could take me on a fishing trip
    but i wont get my hopes up too soon
    NICE black cool photo
    Cheers
    Martin

look how blue that water is in all those pics

Sailfish, billfish, swordfish, marlin, ..... I'm afraid it's time for me to ask yet another simple question. Are these fish all related? They seem to look very similar and I've always wondered if they were all different names for the same fish or if they were just all fish that looked similar but were actually different species. Again, sorry for the basic question; I have zero knowledge of ocean fishing and the species fished for so....well, that's why I'm asking. Please enlighten this land-locked dope!
    "When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.-- Mark Twain"

I thought i may as well follow the thread and post a pic of my best fish thus far, a 150kg blue marlin.
    About the relations story, someone else will be able to explain it better, but all marlin (black, blue, striped (one or more species ???) and white) are all pretty closely related, then is the sailfish and also the somewhat distant relatives of spearfish and swordfish. Someone correct me where i'm wrong plz

C.J.