Thread: Snapback action

Snapback action

Went offshore last week with 2 plastic virgins and introduced them to the joys of playing with snapbacks in 60-70feet of water.Best trout of the day (out of 10 caught).

Re: Snapback action

Little cobe

Bludger trev

Another trout

Nice one Iank!
    Some nice fish there, did you get them on the drift?
    What color did you find most succesful on the trout?

Cheers, Tony

Tony,
    All caught on the drift, all the bigger trout fell for the darker colours on the day, black with red flecks, red shad and watermellon, usually we find it dos'nt mater what colour we use.
    Cheers Ian

nice pics mate, gee that bludger would have fought!!

I think this was the first bludger caught for the day and did it give me hell, they were that thick that after catching them on plastics, poppers,fizzers and fly we had to drive away from them to have a rest, pound for pound I think they are a match for GT's.
    Cheers Ian

Nice fish there Ian - interested to know what tackle you were using - rods/reels and line.

Cheers,

Moffy.

Moffy,
    The 3 of us were all using different outfits, but basically they were all 7 foot, 6kg rods, reels were all 4000 size and they were all loaded with 14lb fire line with 50lb flurocarbon leaders, brands used, reels- shimano and tica, rods- shimano, wilson and strudwick. All the outfits handled the day quite well as over 50 fish were boated that day.
    Cheers Ian

hmm - have just such an outfit - will have to throw it in (along with the snapbacks) next trip out the reef. Thought it may have been a bit undergunned for trout - will have to give it a crack.

Thanks Ian.

Thanks for the inspiration will definetly be packing my snaps next time I go out

I have some snapbacks in my tackle kit - but haven't got round to using them yet. By the time I attend to a bottom bouncer with bait, a floatliner with dead or live bait and a L/F 8 ft 8-10 kg rod for throwing slugs I run out of time and seem to be constantly on the run.

They're funny looking little fellers with a tail design that doesn't seem to give them much action. Could anybody share the sort of action they need to put on them to catch the various types of fish. I hear they are good for snapper and mackerel and now from ian that they work a treat for trout.

thanks

Tony

Tony, snappys work great for reefys and pelagics. When fishing them for reefys such as snapper drift over the patch of reef you usually fish with bait, drop the snappys to the bottom and hop them up off the bottom with small sharp lifts of the rod. After a few jigs or hops allow them to sink back to the bottom again. The snapper will normally hit them on there way back to the bottom as with most reefys so keep in touch with the plastic while it is sinking and you will feel them bump it.

Jason.

Thanks Jason - I'll give it a whirl (if the wind ever stops blowing!)

Tony