Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best catches on camera

bidkev

Re: Best catches on camera

When I got my first boat. catching vermin back then P!ss poor polaroid pic unfortunately.

The fish in the box are mackerel. that's as big as european Mackerel grow. They're the smoked ones you see in the stores. The flounder looking fish is a plaice and in the bottom right hand corner you can see the tail of a conger eel. There's another one off camera that went 86lbs that the deckie caught. She was having her picture taken by someone else and it failed to come out. If you want something doing....do it yourself, that fish is only in the memory now and no pictorial record of it

kev

bidkev

Must be jinxed..nearly lost this pic as well

I would feel so bad if i owned half of them photos some of them are really bad yous did not need to keep or them fish i bet half of the fish sat in your freezers for months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bidkev

Quote Originally Posted by jackextracter
    I would feel so bad if i owned half of them photos some of them are really bad yous did not need to keep or them fish i bet half of the fish sat in your freezers for months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mate, you need to think of other people's circumstances before you pass judgement. In the last 15 yrs the minimum people resident in my house have been 5. There have been times when there have been 11. A bin full of fish doesn't go far with that lot and you forget that sometimes you can go a month without wetting a line.

You're not the first one to question other's fish keeping habits and you probably won't be the last. Just wish folk would they would mind their own bloody business when they know bugger all about the poster's circumstances. FWIW, When there's fish in the freezer, I don't keep a fish under 40 cms.

cheers

kev

me to kingtin nothing under 1 meter i am no very good at posting photos sorry.......let my rod do my talking

when most people go fishing they keep every thing thats legal no wonder the fishing not as good as it use to be how many times have you gone fishing and caught nothing or very little and you thought to your self this is shit why cant it be better fishing, well if people did not keep every thing they caught and some one told them about catch and release we could enjoy much better fishing im not saying you cant keep anything im just saying keep fish in moderation dont just keep every thing you catch when you dont need to.

bidkev

Quote Originally Posted by jackextracter
    <snip>
    im not saying you cant keep anything im just saying keep fish in moderation dont just keep every thing you catch when you dont need to.
    Did you even read my response? Some pople *need to*. They can go months without catching. I think you're preaching to the already converted mate and this kind of topic has been covered so often. Despite how you may interpret the pictures of huge catches, if the fish get eaten then does it matter if you catch 50 in one trip or 5 in 10 trips or even blank 49 times and score a biggy on the 50th trip, The end result is the same.

kev

While I can appreciate both points of view here,I do think that posting photos of such large catches is going to shorten the time untill Queensland has far tighter bag limits .

We have a catch limit of 40 fish.
    But 40 Port Phillip Bay flathead would have less fillets weight than one of your medium sized reef fish

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/dpi/nrenfa...25707A00140BA1

Have a Merry Christmas
    Seabug

hi guys, this my big sambo for the year( actually unofficial ballina record, the bloke who had it b4 me told me), 26.85kg, actually my best ever, soon as i learn to compress my photos on my pc so i can send , will send more. cant work the smileys either. had pc for 1 month . muzz

fishingnottake

thats a damn fine sambo? where did you pull it from :|

As if you *NEED TO* keep that amounts of fish are you saying your poor and you cant buy or provide food for your self and your family so you keep every thing you catch does it make you feel good that people like you are wipeing out the fishing for our kids to enjoy and when they grow up their kids > > > >

bidkev

One man's poverty is another man's wealth mate. We all have different views of what poverty is but I can assure you that I've experienced *real* poverty but that has nothing at all to do with a "need to". I'm saying that there are in my family at the moment and we eat fish twice a week. How long do you think *any* of these catches would last in *my* household which often increases in numbers? How do I justify the huge expense invested in the sport if there is no material gain? Is the "need" to provide *well* any less worthy that another man's moral need to catch and release?

How much do you think I put into the economy every time I set out to catch fish? It costs me at a minimum, every time I go offshore, 100 bucks in fuel alone. There are far more factors than take limits in the equation when it comes to fishing. For example, if I (or other fishos) didn't catch, would we then buy more fish, which in turn leads to greater demand on the pro fishers so the stocks are reduced anyway?

If I could be arsed, which I can't, I could argue all day about impact on stocks from both a recreational, and pro point of view. This isn't the issue here, what is at issue is how you took umbrance at other posters being proud of their achievements in their sport and turned that around into something "dirty" without thinking as to whether those pictures are truly representative of the persons posting them.

"People like me" ???????? Mate, since coming to Oz I ain't caught more than 15 fish at a session. That's with 6 or 7 of us on the boat. Yeah I go on a pillage and rape of the sea every time I go out. The vermin tremble in their little salt laden bootees.

The point that I'm making is that you appear to be judging the catches pictured here as if there was only one person in the boat and as if they catch at that rate every time. If you're not, and you think that these pictures in this thread are an indication of how the guys here treat their sport, then I suggest you gain a little more knowledge of the posters before passing judgement. I think we all here are well enough educated in fish conservation without having someone else preach.

You said, "I would feel so bad if i owned half of them photos some of them are really bad yous did not need to keep or them fish i bet half of the fish sat in your freezers for months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "

Think how that could be better put simply by asking the posters about their catch and if you find a cause, then try to educate them, (if that is your aim), instead of coming straight out and condemning them. If you want to educate then you have to first gain an ear and condemning someone outright will not get an ear it will just serve to have those you are talking to "switch off".
    Being judgemental without a valid discussion gains/proves nothing and certainly doesn't further a cause.

cheers

kev

GO KINGTIN....ITS THE BLOKES WHO FISH THE RIVERS AND CREEKS RAIDING THE NURSERYS THAT DO MOST OF THE DAMAGE...NICE SAMBO ONERABBIT

gday kev,
    bloody great photos you got there! i shudder when i see those ones of you fishing that pier - ive been there myself, as mum grew up near there! it was bloody freezing, and when that swell kicks in she roars like nothing else! so yeah, you got more stones than me that's for sure! i bet you thought you were in paradise when you came out. i do, and i was born ere! but it is a great thing to have fished in different parts of the world, especially somewhere as harsh as there!

gday onerabbit,
    thats a fantastic sambo you got there! beaut fish.

gday jackextractor,
    mate i know if one person took all those fish you'd question it, but most on here would be feeding quite a few i'd imagine. as kev said, in big families decent catches dont last! i know these fellas are attuned to the environment - they wanna keep fishing it too, so theyre not really out to hoard for the sake of it. but yeah, if it was just for themselves or one other, then i'd totally agree, and so would they.

cuzza

lookin at the photos and i know why its getting harder to catch a FEED. sick of hearing (we used to fill tubs of fish or we bagged out on fish last weekend.)think of the future guys.