Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: GT Fishing

Re: GT Fishing

Thanks again for the kind words , to answer some of the questions - The return took a bit of swimming to get him going again,I dont think GT s like being photographed but he did take off with authority after a short swim? As for the take -WOW- I saw his head breach the surface (had no idea what it was) from about a metre from the popper on the retrieve then a BIG splash and ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Just cant wait to do it again if I ever get so lucky.......

Awesome GT. Well done, ESPECIALLY on 30lb leader - or was that meant to be 130lb? - whatever it was, that is a massive GT. Congrats to you and also congrats to the photographer - that is a very nice photo.

If you're interested in confirming your guess of it's weight, I reckon Damon Olsen of Nomad Sportsfishing Adventures would be more than happy to give you an estimate if you emailed him the pic. That's a good pic of the fish and he'd be able to get a fairly good idea from that photo. He is considered an expert in the feild of BIG GT's. Check out his website:

http://www.gtfishing.com/GT%20Homepage.htm

His email address is:

info@nomadsportfishing.com.au

Again - well done.

Cheers,

Rob Mc.

Thank you kindly for the great info Rob, #Gee Nomad catch some big ones 68kg...... RESPECT.......

I would like to know his weight for sure but the info I already have is from a friend who catches big fish (GT's etc) all the time, as his most fortunate lifestyle allows him, lucky duck..... The leader was 30 lb about 5 to 6 meters long for the shock factor when trying to pull up a fish like him, I have caught quite a few more since him now, and truley feel I #have them wired and I find that this combo works extremely well for me, having only dropped a couple ; #but I don't believe the gear I am using will stop those fish any how.....

Must go and prep for another big battle this weekend... Hope you all have a great fish....

Sorry , but a big thanks goes to my son James ( 10 ) for the photo's - he comes along with me on most trips and never complains about 12 to 14 hour days out - When I look back on the photo's taken all the best shots are from him, I always seem to cut off heads or tails or both so I know how lucky I am that he takes the shots..... #

Thanks Nippa ..... #

Did I mention he was heavy......... Red face #

# # #

Cool .... yea that is where my next coming trip will be on the nomad fishing charter for those huge gt ...

and i was told that the leader got to be 80lb to 120lb for those monster GT..... and your leader is 30lb wow .....

Awesome fish, thats what dreams are made of.

Cheers Phil

HEY MAN can you take me out to do some gt fishing wink wink ?????

#

GT Warrior ,

On the last photo I can see the leader which is thick enough , are you sure it is 30 lbs leader or No. 30 Leader , Japanese rating ? If it is No. 30 Japanese leader , that mean it's 120 lbs leader .

In my GT turf , using 30 lbs leader wud last only a few seconds after initial strike and we are likely to use 120 lbs. leader as the minimum , some goes as high as 180 lbs. but the norn now are using 60 lbs x 2 Twisty and then some 6" - 10" of 200 lbs flurocarbo leader .

I reckon that Gt is a qualified 50+ kg , congratulation , man .

JonLi .
    It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so .
    Mark Twain .

who gives a rats ass what the leader is. the fish is a ripsnorter end of story

That smiles what its ALL about!

I'll just keep day dreaming like the rest...

Hi GT Warrior - AWESOME fish mate - Bloody HUGE

I dont mean to be a stick in the mud, but I tend to agree with Jonli. In that pic the leader does look a lOT thicker than 30lb, and

Quote Originally Posted by GT_warrior
    ... with 80lb braid and a 30lb leader.. #He towed me along at 6-8 knots for 15 minutes in me 4.5 metre tinnie.
    leads me to 2 questions:

1 - why would anyone put 30lb leader with 80lb braid, and;
    2 - what tension would be in the line when towing a 4.5m tinnie at 6-8 knots - a LOT more than 15kg I'd suggest

My questions sound harsh, but I don't mean to be - I just can't think of a more subtle way of putting it. All I say is that are you SURE it was 30lb?

Hi again

I'm with Morty 103 and GC Brett thanks fella's..... to Pinchy07 I realise the line looks thick but to me 30lb IS. I checked it again but it was 30 lb SHOGUN and the reason I use it on 80 lb braid is because I was targeting yellow fin on the popper at the time I hooked the GT, Normally I would use this out fit for jiggin in 100m + of water were a 100 to 150 lb leader is the normal. But on that day I was launching the popper 60 to 70 meters in the cast and the knot size of any heavier leader was to big a restriction on the casting distance required , so I used the 30 and it was perfect - my drag is aproximatley 9 kg at lock up and it was at this setting the whole time he was connected, hence being towed around. I dont think you question is harsh but fair, as I too would question it it I wasnt their............................................. .......... but i was.......... # # # # #

platty_85

awsome gt bro, would have been a fight and a half

bcb20

Mate, a fish of that calibre earns some major bragging rights, well done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!