Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Show us your weather shots!

Re: Show us your weather shots!

Just another day on the pine @ DWB

Here's a few nice ones. Lovely calm day at Twin Waters and a sunrise at Golden Beach.
    Joel
    Fishing for the thrill, not for the kill

An afternoon at Noosa:

compared to pommyland!

kev
    Last edited by kingtin; 10-05-2008 at 09:21 AM.

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

Saw these on your website above Kev. I love the blackpool one, it looks like something out of a Stephen King novel! How do you get such vibrant blues in your photos?
    Joel

Quote Originally Posted by imnotoriginal View Post
    Saw these on your website above Kev. I love the blackpool one, it looks like something out of a Stephen King novel! How do you get such vibrant blues in your photos?
    Joel
    The Blackpool one (colour) is a fluke. I left the undeveloped film in the car in full sunlight and it changed the properties of the film.

Joel, I try my best to capture what I see, but what our brain recognises, (compensates for), often film or digital doesn't. Like the old adage.....the camera doesn't lie.

We often see what we want to see, but I know that the camera won't depict it that way, so when our brain sees through glare and recognises deep blues, the camera doesn't, so I help it along with a polarising filter that cuts down the glare (shine) and sees through to the colour.

You can further enhance that by using photoshop. As blue is a primary colour, you can tell photoshop to enhance blues, and no other colour. If you told it to "saturate colour" it would saturate all colour, so the blue would still not predominate. You need to "visualise" a pic where blue is predominant 'cause blue represents Qld and sunshine.The skill is taking a pic with no other blues in it, other than what you want to enhance. ie if you want to enhance blue sky and water, just make sure there's nobody in the pic wearing blue rimmed glasses

Folk sometimes think of photoshop as cheating, but it is no different than manipulating in an old fashioned darkroom.............it's still a skill that has to be learned and a skill that is useless if you don't initially "capture the moment" via the camera lens.

kev

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

Hey kingtin, great pictures. The last time I went to Blackpool it did not look like that. Dare I say thet Noosa is a bit cleaner than Blackpool down on the beach!!
    Don't play stupid with me...I'm better at it!

Here is a shot off the front of my property in Fiji, not a bad day!
    Don't play stupid with me...I'm better at it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Gump View Post
    Hey kingtin, great pictures. The last time I went to Blackpool it did not look like that. Dare I say thet Noosa is a bit cleaner than Blackpool down on the beach!!
    Yeah, at Noosa, you don't have to wade through condoms and donkey shit

kev

Quote Originally Posted by kingtin View Post
    The Blackpool one (colour) is a fluke. I left the undeveloped film in the car in full sunlight and it changed the properties of the film.

Joel, I try my best to capture what I see, but what our brain recognises, (compensates for), often film or digital doesn't. Like the old adage.....the camera doesn't lie.

We often see what we want to see, but I know that the camera won't depict it that way, so when our brain sees through glare and recognises deep blues, the camera doesn't, so I help it along with a polarising filter that cuts down the glare (shine) and sees through to the colour.

You can further enhance that by using photoshop. As blue is a primary colour, you can tell photoshop to enhance blues, and no other colour. If you told it to "saturate colour" it would saturate all colour, so the blue would still not predominate. You need to "visualise" a pic where blue is predominant 'cause blue represents Qld and sunshine.The skill is taking a pic with no other blues in it, other than what you want to enhance. ie if you want to enhance blue sky and water, just make sure there's nobody in the pic wearing blue rimmed glasses

Folk sometimes think of photoshop as cheating, but it is no different than manipulating in an old fashioned darkroom.............it's still a skill that has to be learned and a skill that is useless if you don't initially "capture the moment" via the camera lens.

kev
    Cheers for that Kev. So far, I've been focussing on getting it right at the moment the photo's taken, composition, rule of thirds, focus etc... I figure you can photoshop at any time, bit hard to go back and change the angle or placement of the subject later . How much does a polarising filter cost? Would this help like polarising sunnies and get you less glare on shots of fish in the water?
    Joel

Cheers for that Kev. So far, I've been focussing on getting it right at the moment the photo's taken, composition, rule of thirds, focus etc... I figure you can photoshop at any time, bit hard to go back and change the angle or placement of the subject later . How much does a polarising filter cost? Would this help like polarising sunnies and get you less glare on shots of fish in the water?
    Joel
    Yeah Joel, that's what it does, cut down the glare so you can see through to the colour. They work best when the sun is at 90 degrees to whatever you're photographing. If you have the sun directly behind you or in front, it'll make no difference at all. You jut rotate the filter till you see it darken and the glare disappear

kev

Cheers Kev. What sort of price would the filter set me back? I'm using the fuji s5700.
    Joel

Cheers Kev. What sort of price would the filter set me back? I'm using the fuji s5700.
    Joel
    What size filter thread on the fuji? They vary according to size. My wide angle has a 77mm thread and that bugger cost me a hundred bucks. My standard lens is 58mm and that cost about 35 bucks. I have a spare that you can have at 55mm if that's the thread on yours?

edit; OK, just found out that yours is only a 46 thread si it may be cheaper because of it's size or it may be dearer because of economy of scale (not a lot of cameras have that thread so not as much demand). If it is excessively dear, price a step up ring from 46 to 55 which may only be a couple of bucks and then you can have this spare of mine.

kev
    Last edited by kingtin; 14-05-2008 at 05:53 PM.

Cheers Kev. Will probably be a while before I invest in that. At the moment I have to save up for a big beach rod so I can go jewfishing with Pete! In the meantime I'll just look at my photos with my sunnies on
    Joel

I've tried to enhance the photo using the program that came with the camera. I think it's improved the colours in the shot. The altered image is on the right.
    Joel
    Last edited by imnotoriginal; 15-05-2008 at 09:39 PM.

here are a few of my pics,the first two are a storm that hit redcliffe a couple of years ago,these pics were taken less than 1 minute apart,the weather in tin can bay and blue moon setting over lake pedder in tassie,
    Last edited by catfishkid; 01-06-2008 at 10:54 AM.