Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Chat Board Feature Requests

Re: Chat Board Feature Requests

Hey Steve,

Let me start by saying what a FANTASTIC site this is. I'm sure I speak for every other Ausfisher out there when I say that not only is it an enjoyable and entertaining way of finding out what and where the latest action is in the fishing scene, but it's a great way to meet new people with the same interests and start new freindships. I'd love to know how many people have become mates purely through this website. All that plus, I'd have to say I've learn't more about fishing techniques and locations through this site than reading any magazine or watching any TV show.

Anyway, that aside, I reckon a great feature would be to break the reports down into sub-groups defined by location. ie. instead of having the "saltwater", "freshwater", and the general "reports" section for people to post fishing reports on (and us having to search both "reports" AND "saltwater" to look for offshore reports in the brissie area for eg.), maybe have the Chat Board broken up something like this:

"Fishing Reports" (with the following sub categories, or similar)
    # > "Saltwater"
    # # #- "FNQ - Townsville to Cape York"
    # # #- "Central Qld - Bundaberg to ??, maybe Home Hill/Ayr"
    # # #- "SEQ"
    # # #- "Far Nth NSW"
    # # #- "Central NSW"
    # # # # etc. for all states, maybe even providing a sub section for each
    # # # # state with sub-sub sections for areas within each state??
    # > "Freshwater"
    # # #- "Qld"
    # # #- "NSW"
    # # # # etc...
    Then the following categories as they appear now:
    "General" (for general chat as it is used now)
    "Tackle"
    "Boating"
    "Camping"
    "For Sale"
    # etc....

Could maybe even separate the "saltwater" into two main sections as well - "Offshore" and "Estuary"

Note that these are only a suggestion and many locations would need to be added (like "Gulf of Carpentaria" for eg.)

The other thing to consider I suppose is that some people may prefer it the way it is now, and be able to "browse" the whole reports section to find out what's going on all over Australia without having to navigate through a whole bunch of different sub-categories. And I myself can see the advantages in this as well.

Maybe a poll should be taken on this before any changes are made?? What do you think?

Maybe as a starting point, just rearrange it as follows:

"Fishing Reports"
    # > "Saltwater"
    # #- "Offshore"
    # #- "Estuary"
    #> "Freshwater"
    #> "Fly"
    then the same old:
    "General"
    "Camping"
    etc...

At least that would fix the current problem of having two options to choose from in which to post a report on offshore - "Reports" or "Saltwater"...??

If the archive system could be set up wherby such similar matters could be stored in groups, within in the existing chat headings.
    For example,Under boating, Fuel, Steering,Electrics,Rust etc etc.
    This would make it easy to look up stuff, that you know has been on the site before. I know you can search, but the results are not always brilliant.
    Perhaps there is a better way to search
    Regards David

How about a thread where people can put GPS marks in. It would help out new people that haven't ventured offshore much and maybe a page you can click on to see how certain knots and rigs are tied and made.

mharper2001
    That would be a good idea. Very big help to some
    Steve is there any way that we could have a spell check. Maybe there is already one that i don't know about. I am one of those who need it
    planning the next onslaught 6.5m Profish
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sportfish_5

Quote Originally Posted by mharper2001
    How about a thread where people can put GPS marks in.
    hehehe - Gee -There would sure to be millions of marks forthcoming - NOT

Greg

I know not many people would give out there own GPS Marks but I was thinking just General Ones like Currimundi Reef, The Twelve Mile and places like that so people could get in there boat and have a general GPS Mark to go to. Once they get to this GPS mark they can have a drive around and find there own spots. It would be like a Central Point to where they wanted to go. Anyway at the end of the day it was just an idea.

It's probably a stupid idea but I will ask the question anyway. How about a section where members can put in useful websites they have come across? I didn't even know about www.seabreeze.com.au until i came to this site and read it through a thread.

Actually thats not a bad idea mharper, note there are a few links on Ausfish but I know what you mean stuff like weather links, sites with GPS marks for those that need some etc, could get a bit cluttered if missused though.

Sportfish_5

How about an "ignore" button in the chat forum to block out posts from your own personal serial pest list.