Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Computer assist needed !

Re: Computer assist needed !

Archer.............tried the sfc.exe........... Bugga !

Will make decision any minute now !

Stay tuned !

Hammer or RAM ??????

Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

GRRRR!! I had just typed a heap of info and lost it >

Only thing about getting another piece of ram for a hp or other name brand PC is that you may need a special piece of ram (yes there are many different types of SDram) there are 2 main speeds but most pc-133 ram will step back to 100, then there is double sided, single sided, silver and gold..... Anyways You could take it into a place like Umart and ask them to try a couple of differnet sorts for you? Cheapest they have is 128mb PC-133 for $55.00, the Disc Shop is quite cheap also but don't have the range of SD ram umart has.
    I have a couple of 64mb SDram cards at home somewhere, your more than welcome to try them if you like? they are old but i am sure that most of them are still working its been awhile.. anyways let me know and we can organise something..

cheers
    Brandon.

I was stating 256 as bare minimum, it's interesting, cos of course Microsoft will tell you that XP will happily run on 128MB of RAM, and when I moved into my current home there were 3 PCs all running XP with 128MB of PC133 SDRAM and all users complaining about them running slow. Doubled RAM in all systems and no complaints since, how easy was that, but yeah, I agree, I wouldnt build a system without 1GB of RAM these days, just don't think an old clunker like Phil's would be worth putting more than 256MB in. (go the hammer)

yeah i have seen that too > My first Pc at my current work was a P2 running 128mb of ram!! and the boss expected me to runn windows 2000 on it without complaining well it wasn't that long b4 i got myself a new pc

Windows 98 is a different story though, 128mb of ram should run quite well as long as there arn't too many newer/memory intence programs you want to run on it.

Brandon..

PS: no charge for the old ram if you are interested in giving it a go mate (just noticed i didn't mention anything about that in my previous post).

OK, Brandon, I will take the challenge.

I have no problem letting you know my address here.

Lucky_Phill
    C/- Agnes Water Post Office
    AGNES WATER QLD 4677

Yes, the buggers know me as that around here

You could send it COD if you like, other than that I WILL reimburse you ( when I make some more" you know whats " )

Let's just re-cap.

This computer runs OK, fast enough for me, well, it could be faster considering I am now on Broadband. I have , Thanks to you guys, made it run a little faster already by shuting down the ' proggys " on start up. Now only if you could tell me how to do this" automatically ".

So, I still cannot run DeFrag, but that is what I need to do and hopefully having extra RAM will solve this prob.

AND YES I KNOW, I am running a PC from the dark ages, but until it has a brain fart, I'll keep the old girl.

Once again, thanks to everyone for thier input so far. Stay tuned.

Phill

BTW, Brandon, if I am going to post a long reply in Ausfish in the time slot 6pm to 9pm, I type it up in Word or Works first then copy and paste it.

Phill

Sounds good Phill I will get a couple of these Sticks I have into a padded bag and send them your way I don't really want anything for them (except a couple of you know whats ) so i won't COD the delivery.

Give me a day or 2 and i will get a couple of diagrams for you to follow with installing ram and you should be fine! Send me a msg or reply to this thread when you get them and let me know how it goes!!!

I guess i wouldn't normally do this for someone i don't know but seeing your posts, your lures and what you have done for this great site that i'm now addicted too!! I know 100% your a good bloke and #I don't have any dramas in helping you out if i can

cheers
    Brandon...

PS: will remember to do the word thing next Peak hour!! Lol

gogecko

Sorry to butt in late, I just came across this.

1- why are you trying to defrag if youve only used 4 gigs? You have 33 free of 37g? run this machine into the ground until it breaks! Dont spend any money on it unless its RAM under $40. Defrag is wise maintenance for those who use hard drive space, but you dont use much space.

2- 64 mg of ram is too low, IMHO. More ram will fix everything, old ram like this is cheap on ebay.

3- you shouldnt be running modern progs like TRend micro PCilin and Braodband associated issues. Many patches and updates will not be Win98 compatible, so UR gonna need to upgrade sooner or later. Patches have lots of conflicts with 98.

4- you MUST run a firewall. Did you see the pensioner on Today Tonite with no firewall who got his machine hijacked by trojans, and got a bill with Optus for all sorts of charges, even tho he doesnt have an account with Optus. You realllllly need Trend micro 2006, so you need a new computer. Get a good second hand one for $300 and stop all these issues.

Brandon and Archer have given excellent advice, and Im not as technical expert as them, but even I can see you are very exposed to trojans. You are probably being port scanned from korea or russia every 60 secs. What do the other guys think?

cheers

Andrew

Gecko,
    Windows 98 #isn't targeted much anymore for hackers, yes his system does sound a little exposed but I don't think he has too much to worry about.
    You can have a fragmented drive with 95% of your drive free, its all about the data thats on the drive. the more you copy or move stuff or install and uninstall software the more often you need to run a defrag. Everyone with windows 98 should defrag about once a month or so depending on how much they use the Pc. windows XP has a different file structure and dosn't need it as often though i encourage my clients to run one every 6 months or so.
    Extra ram will make a difference for Phill but mainly in the speed of bootup and opening programs once up and running. It may enable him to run a defrag but i doubt it. either way it will be a good upgrade for him as long as his Pc accepts the ram. I am sending him a couple of different sticks of 64mb ram i have laying around (basicly for free ) hopefuly one of them works we will see

Phill, I have been flat out of late mate, I have found the ram i was talking about but haven't got the package and instructions done yet will have it sent by the end of the week for ya.

cheers
    Brandon..