Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Computer assist needed !

Computer assist needed !

OK, to the IT folks out there, I have a technical question.

Firstly the info you may require:-

I have a HP Pavilion 6611 that has a 40gig HD, 533MHz Intel Celeron processor and 64MB SDRAM. I am running Windows 98SE. OK so I know I am a Dinosaur, but apart from that.

I want to defrag the C drive. Everytime I try to a dialouge box arrives telling me I do not have enough memory to do this and I should shut down any programs I am not using and try again. So I shut down everything except for Explorer, and it still tells me the same story.
    Question is.........what memory is that puter talking about and the second part is how do I fix it ?

Another simple question is, can I plug in another Motherboard ( 1 gig ? )and SDRAM or something similar,,,,,,say 256 in size ?

If you know the answers, can you post them in english as I am puter ILLITERATE...........

Cheers Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Darryl

Re: Computer assist needed !

Im not in IT Phil but it sounds like virtual memory , which basically is your sd ram. Go out and buy a stick of 526 and just slot it in next to the other memory stick. Easy to do mate.

Just take your ram with you tho as to make sure it isn't ddr ram.

Bout 80 bucks was the last 526 i bought, probably cheaper now.

Hope that helps.

Darryl.

Darryl

Ps Phil , for roundabout 350/ 400 bucks you can do a total upgrade on your comp, you buy a kit which contains new peocessor, motherboard,case and ram mate. Basically you put your hard drive and cd roms out of your old machine into the new case.

This will give you 3.2 gig processor and half a gig of ram.

Darryl.

mmm sounds easy.

I think I should go for the upgrade. But !

"and just slot it in next to the other memory stick. Easy to do mate. "

what other memory stick ?

Cheers Phill

Darryl

Hhaha ok, well take the side of your comp off, unplug it first

Look inside and you will see a stick of ram that looks like link attached. It has two clips on the end, normally white. Just add another stick next to it, as there is normally 3 slots for ram in most cases, sometimes only 2.

http://www.fonerbooks.com/r_ram.htm

Make sure you aren't discharging static onto any electrical components when you touch them, static will kill almost anything inside the box. You can either use a wrist strap, or what I do is leave the box plugged in, but NOT turned on. Open the side of the case, and touch the metal frame, this should discharge any static. Don't be on carpet when you're working on the comp.
    Strictly speaking your memory problem is likely to be the hard drive being too full of stuff that the page file hasn't enough room to swap on. You'll need a free gig or so of space. Tried starting in safe mode? This loads a minimal number of drivers and programs and really helps get defragging done on an older comp. You're best advised to make sure you get the right memory if you plan on upgrading it, you're most likely using PC133, but possibly PC100, and it depends on your computer whether or not the 133 will slow down and run stably at 100 if you put a faster stick in a slower board.Have a look for a program called Aida32, it's free and will tell you a lot of info about what's on your comp before you go buying bits that may or may not work properly in your computer.If you have trouble finding it, let me know and I'll email you a copy.

Good advise Jewseethat I am in IT and see things like this all the time at the UNI I work at I think the memory problem your having Phil is a Hard drive space issue. the RAM/SDRAM/ddr whatever your running needs to mirror its infomation onto the Harddrive as a swap file. if there isn't enough room on your HDD to load this file it will lockup or report a message similar to what you have recived. Also to do a defrag you need 10% of your total HDD size free. this could also be your problem. check the properties of your c: drive (right click properties) and check out the pie chart, this should tell you what you need to know about space on your drive.

Your system is a bit old and lacking in ram but running windows 98 you don't need too much ram, only if your using office 2003 or wanting to play some grafic intense games or cad or any other intense program would you need to really upgrade your ram. I am running a P3 500MHZ with 256mb of ram as a windows 2003 test server at home and it works fine!! a bit slow but it does everything my little network needs to do If you were to upgrade check out www.umart.com.au. I get all my IT gear from there (not UNI stuff) you get a really good deal and they have LOTS of stock. I did an upgrade a couple of months ago (on my main system) to a 3gb P4, intel Motherboard, 1gb ram, DVD multi drive, 200GB STA drive, Radon 5400 video card and new case and it all came to $800. If your after something that lasts longer than a couple of years get an intel Mainboard installed. costs about 20-40 more than an acer or other brand but well worth the piece of mind
    PM me if you want some help!! depending where you are and what you want to do we might be able to work out something with me doing some IT work for you and you giving me some "lucky Phil Lures"

Cheers
    Brandon...

start the pc in safe mode, press f8 ithink when starting windows.. defrag in that... pretty sure that works

you might struggle to find ram compatible with your machine...

have 37.4gig and 33.7 free ??????

phill

64 meg of ram doesnt run much these days, no doubt your machine would have a fair share of services running in the background chewing up resources...

try safemode to defrag, it doesnt load up anything thats not needed..

Darryl

Go with Gbanger , Defrag and if that doesn't work (wich i will be surprised) , Go and get a stick of ram for it. 64 meg is bugger all ,and when it comes to virtual memory if your printing photo's and stuff i'm surprised your comp doesn't lock up Phil.

Darryl.

Give me a pm with your phone number as i'm in the wholesale computer industry and i'll get my tech to give you a call if you like.

Good info so far. Gbanger ! how do I start comp in Safemode ?

Bream_Reaper01. I will take you offer up as well.

I don't download music or vidoes, don't play comp games or print out photos. What the hell do it do ?

Cheers Phill

Phill to start in Safe mode press the F8 key as the computers booting up. Just keep hitting it and it will bring up a menu> select safe mode using the arrow keys > hit enter.
    Run your defrag than just restart the PC as normal. Wouldnt hurt to run Scan disk before you defrag (should be able to run this in normal operating mode) select repair faults and run a advanced scan(may take a while to run tru just leave it running and go fishing )
    If your after some more SD ram give me a call (PM'd you my number) I have heaps of it kicking around the place here somewhere. Rarely use it these days so its just collecting dust....

Thanks Archer, will do.

Let you know how it goes.

Phill