Thread: Computer assist needed !

Re: Computer assist needed !

OK, tried Scan Disk in Normal operation.... " not enough memory "

Started comp in Safemode.

Scan Disk............." not enough memory "

Defrag................" not enough memory "

I have no memory.........apparently

Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Ctrl Alt Del and close down every resource that is running that windows will let you stop. This might free up enough resources to let you run scandisk and defrag. Where abouts are you Phil? I would be happy to try and help out. I am on the north side of Brisbane, Might need to see it to figure it out though thats the only problem. 64mb should be enough to run windows 98 quite fine with minimal programs running. like I wouldn't want to try and burn a cd with only 64mb. but would browse the web and be writing up a word doc without any dramas..

Brandon.

Heya Phil

No guarantees but the following might free up enough resources if it doesn't blow up your computer.

(this one is optional, just a clean up) Click tools>Internet Options>delete files>tick 'delete all offline content'>ok

Restart your computer then try the following,

hit alt+ctrl+del then click task manager, look at the processes and right click and end process on any of the following (shutting down a lot of net security proggys so make sure you are not online at the time)

IEXPLORE.EXE
    zapro.exe
    anything beggining with avg - if you have any other anti virus running and see a name similar shut it down as well.
    anything with ipod or itunes in the name
    anything to do with your internet provider eg bpcable.exe
    (access may be denied on some of these)
    Try defrag then.

Regardless of whether it works or not restart your comp to allow those proggys (anit virus and firewall) to reload.

Thats basicly what i said Straddie. clearing out internet explorer won't do much if its not a Hard drive space issue. I think Phill has either too many programs running when windows starts, or there is a problem program chewing up all the memory.

Good luck with it Phil.

Brandon.

Heya BrandonH

Yes it is pretty much a duplication of what you said, sowwy
    I often have a number of windows open and am going from one thing to another doing work while reading and posting so at times there can be an hour between me starting to type something and posting it, which was the case here.

Safe mode only boots nesacary programs there wont be any Anti virus/firewall protection proggys running to switch off. Its pretty much a bare windows running with no external software loaded at all.
    You may well have a problem with Windows Phill, Give us a call and we can check a few things over the phone but it may need to go into your local PC tech. Ill be in and out today if im not around leave me a number and ill get back to you.

NP Straddie, It dosn't normally bother me much at all but i haven't really been listened to in this thread and that kinda pissed me off somewhat. Seeing I am trying to help someone with a computer problem and its my line of work..
    Anyways I am leaving this post alone now. Phil seams to have enough help.

Brandon...

Brandon, I have taken your advice ( and posted here earlier ) checked out Hard Drive space, and found lots there. Also have removed all but one, background applications. This made my computer run faster, but still no luck with the Scan Disk or Defrag. So it seems, I may a program chewing up the memory, as you said.

Further, I do not have any Anti-Virus protection installed. Nor do I have a firewall. I have Trend Micros PC_Cillin, that I install every six months or so and run a scan for bugs. But this software turns my computer into a snail or something slower, so I un-install it after it has done it's work.

I am not a computer wizz, so all this info takes time to " absorb ' into the grey matter. The problem with the computer is not pressing or urgent, therefore I am just poking along, taking it all in, and making the best decision I can, gleaned for the infomation provided. Should I choose to eventually call someone regarding this, it will be for no particular reason other than, probably like throwing a dart at a bunch of names.

I do appreciate the time and effort, everyone has put into this so far, and will keep you informed on what happens, should I be able to rectify the problem. Maybe the problem is the USER

Cheers Phill

Straddie, I hit ' Alt, Ctrl & delete ". The dialouge box that comes up has NO Task Manager ?????????

it only has, End Task, Shut Down and Cancel !

What now ?

Phill

Also, just completed the task of " deleting all offline content ". Computer didn't blow up, and still no diff to defrag or Scan. Bugga !

One thing I may tell you, is that although I have a 40gig HD, it was partitioned ( I think that's what they done ), as they ( comp store in Milton ) said windows or my comp would have trouble running it. dunno !

Phill

Here's something that'll make you laugh.

I received an email form by Service provider saying that I have exceeded my monthly MB ( 400 ) and that my access will be slowed to 28kbps ( is that it ? ), but, since I have closed all background applications/ programs, the bloody computer loads internet stuff faster than full broadband speed. Go Figure, maybe someone can explain this to me ?

Cheers Phill.........learning something new everyday !!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill
    Here's something that'll make you laugh.

I received an email form by Service provider saying that I have exceeded my monthly MB ( 400 ) and that my access will be slowed to 28kbps ( is that it ? #), but, since I have closed all background applications/ programs, the bloody computer loads internet stuff faster than full broadband speed. #Go Figure, maybe someone can explain this to me ?

Cheers #Phill.........learning something new everyday !!!!!!!! # #
    Do you normally go over your limit? This early in the month??
    If not i would be looking for spyware/trojan etc which is possibly related to the other issue and hogging all your memory allocations.
    You could run the free online check http://housecall.trendmicro.com This will scan and remove most possible threats from your PC....Though on 28Kps it may take a while to download and install.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill
    Also, just completed the task of " deleting all offline content ". #Computer didn't blow up, and still no diff to defrag or Scan. #Bugga !

One thing I may tell you, is that although I have a 40gig HD, it was partitioned ( I think that's what they done ), as they ( comp store in Milton ) said windows #or my comp would have trouble running #it. dunno !

Phill
    Phill is it still partitioned or did they remove the partition? Sorry im not sure what you meant there.
    If it is partitioned how much "free" space does your C drive (or the one that has windows installed) have free?
    I never setup partitions on my clients machines for that excact reason. Majority of PC users dont realise they can install to other locations so by partitioning a drive you effectivly remove a large portion of there available disk space...

With regard to my usage, I normally don't go over, but I am only 4 days away from the end of My Month. I had too many days of over Easter, May Day etc.

Went into Trendmicros thingie. Froze my computer, lost half my Desk top, cursor would not move over all the screen, and then I couldn't shut it down. 35 minutes later, I'm back !

I use Ad-Aware every 2 days though. ?

Partitioned Hard Drive !

Well I don't know if they did this, or what they did, but I do remember saying that they had to do it, because windows 98SE would have trouble.

I don't know how to find a ' partition " or know how to find out how much space is on either side ?

Phill

Thanks Phill I guess it was just one of those days ...

Windows 98 had problems with large partition sizes (due to fat32 formating), I can't remember the limit but this is why they could have partitioned your drive. Anyways if you double click on your my computer icon and have a look there, if your drive is partitioned you will have a

c:\
    d:\
    and
    e:\ if you have a CD drive installed, if you have 2 then there would be another drive letter, or if you plug in a usb key..

If you don't have an E drive but have a CD rom you don't have a partitioned Hard drive and most of below you can ignore..

Drive C is normally the drive the swap file is located but you can change that and i know some techs who perfer it on a seprate drive to the Operating system. Anyways right click on both C and D drives (if the second partition) and click properties you will get the pie chart i talked about earlier for both drives and you can double check the free space on them.

Oh! one other thing, When you go into C drive (double click on c:\) what colour are the files and directorys? if some of them are blue someone has enabled file comperssion and this can cause all sorts of dramas so worth a check. you can undo this by highlighting all files and right clicking one and then properties. There should be a compression option at the bottom of the screen.

Brandon...