Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: General section for non-fish related chat?

General section for non-fish related chat?

Hi there fellow Ausfishers. Just getting a feel as to what everyone out there thinks of having a section that covers absolutlety anything whether it be fish related or not. Those topics that people feel is cool to share with everyone like saving Koalas as an example that don't fit in with fish chat always end up going to the "Test Board" and I think that they really don't belong there either. What does everyone think? I think it would be a good idea but I may be a minority. Let's put it to the vote. Be interesting to see where this ends up too.

Poodroo

He who aims at nothing is sure to hit it.

Re: General section for non-fish related chat?

Hi All
    i'm with Poodroo on this one we see all the facts of fishing the destruction of the evironment and some poor soles out there trying to close our fishing grounds but there is other news out there like the koala find that will give us all hope that people are still human and not a thoughtless mouron's

Cheers
    Steve

Would it simply be better to rename the test board "Miscellaneous" ?

Personally I would not like to see this become a forum for anything else.
    Ausfish to me is FISH!

If I want to chat about making pumpkin scones uspide down in zero gravity I'd google that and join that chatboard!

:-)

JT

Both good points I think that it dosn't really matter either way it goes. Like I always check the testing thread to see what people are up to and what unfishing related stuff is being posted!! maybe a sticky post on the front page stating that "testing" is where all non fishing realted chat shoudl happen!! once everyone knows no problem

Cheers
    Brandon...

PS: for the sake of this forum and the people running it it is in our best interests to keep the number of threads/options to a minium otherwise it will get too big to manage and it will end up going down the tube like a lot of other forums.

finga64

I'll join JT's train of thought.
    Name of the site is Ausfish not Aus-koala or Aus-enviro or Aus-anything-else-that-takes-your-fancy.
    Maybe this section called Misc. banter (ta JT and the test section becomes test and help.

But it's just fine as is

Well more the point of this is you can't even congratulate someone for reaching gold or platinum without it ending up in the "test board" section which I really don't think is a suitable spot. The other reason I raised this is that yes we all love fishing but there is obviously the odd occassion where something not fish topic related is still important to someone otherwise they wouldn't bother raising the topics in the first place.

Poodroo

Well Mod 5 I can see your point but I still can't understand one thing. There was a thread about how to preserve beachworms in the "reports estuary" section that was never moved. Why? It was clearly nothing to do with that section. I know it is a fishing site but I still cannot see why you can't have a section where you can congratulate someone for reaching platinum without having it relocated. I am not trying to be a trouble maker, I am just trying to raise a point that perhaps we do need an appropriate section. Regards,

Poodroo

I agree this is the most overmoderated forum I have ever seen, if it didnt have so many sections there wouldnt be so much work to keep it all on track

I have seen plenty of bigger forums with an "general chat" section that runs smoothly, afterall its not a sandpit is it, most members are grown ups

whats wrong with like minded people having an area to have a chat?

If you believe threads and posts are in the wrong section or you have an issue with a particular thread, use the button and let us know. #As much as we try to monitor all threads we sometimes do miss things.

Thats where your assistance helps us to maintain the boards.
    Regards

mod5

Quote Originally Posted by Royce
    I agree this is the most overmoderated forum I have ever seen, if it didnt have so many sections there wouldnt be so much work to keep it all on track

I have seen plenty of bigger forums with an "general chat" section that runs smoothly, afterall its not a sandpit is it, most members are grown ups

Interesting comment for your first post. If you dont like the way Ausfish is moderated I suggest you go find another website.
    Regards

mod5

Well I for one think this is still the best website which is why I spend so much time on it. Apologies Mod5 if raising this issue has created waves as it was never meant to and I will use the appropriate "alert" button if it helps you guys not miss things.

Poodroo

Quote Originally Posted by mod5
    [quote author=Royce link=1161637763/0#8 date=1161682475]I agree this is the most overmoderated forum I have ever seen, if it didnt have so many sections there wouldnt be so much work to keep it all on track

Interesting comment for your first post. #If you dont like the way Ausfish is moderated I suggest you go find another website.
    [/quote]

a wee bit harsh,,,,,,,,,might be he's first post,,,,,but he may have been a """guest""" for awhile,,,maybe

i do agree a bit on this,,,,,,,,some threads remain in general chat that have absolutely nothing to do with fishing,,,,but are a general info piece to members,,,,,others remain for a short period and vanish,,,,,

most of the members go where first after they have logged on??????????????

i think """test board""" would be low on the list,,,,

then theres the other threads that are related to fish'n,,,,sort off,,,,,that you wish would go away,,,,,,,,,but don't,,,,,,as your avatar suggests mod 5,,,,,,,,so little bullets

choppa

can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

Quote Originally Posted by mod5
    Interesting comment for your first post. #If you dont like the way Ausfish is moderated I suggest you go find another website.
    lovely community spirit there champ, anything like that on any of my boards I'd remove your status, did I say I didnt like it? I couldnt care less, I just commented it was pretty heavy.

yep lurker for a long time, dont bother posting as I have more to learn from here than I do to add, but I know forums and the difference between a forum being a place where people come to get info and leave and it being an online community where they stick around is the feel of the place and comments like that and the lack of anywhere for members to have a chat puts this in the former

Great_White

It sounds like a good idea Andrew

Peter