Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recreational fishing management

Re: Recreational fishing management

some body has done a good job in the NT

somebody recognised the value of a fishery aimed at sustainability and use by the public sector.

even if this is a small step to creating a better outcome for the public then we should take note and look at the examples presented.

to suggest that a system doesnt work...or wont work because its flawed in the first place...is conceding that we as individuals make no matter when it comes to the outcome

its been said before...and should be said again

ONLY YOU can make the difference....so MAKE one if you belive the system is inaccurate...dont settle for what you get...scream..winge and moan until the system creates the enviroment YOU want

no point having an opinion if you wont stand by your own convictions and try to make a difference.....

call pollies names...have a go at Dept Heads...but if your going to do this..and do nothing..then your wasting your breath on a pointless exercise that achieves nothing other than to hear your own thoughts bounce around in thin air

get off your butt and contact your local memebr..your local Polly and DONT vote for them next time...became a Sports Body...not a group of people trying to change things by doing nothing other than winging to the wall.

maybe thats why fishing is no longer a sport....to make it a recreational pasttime makes it less important.

We as a fshing community should unite to form a solid and cohesive body that has the power to change things....

look at the shooting body in America...they can decide on who gets to be President for goodness sake.

we have for far too long let ourselves be pushed to were we are now...if you dont like it...tell the right ppl..or become the person YOU want to represent you in this

Well we did have QFMA. History always repeats itself. In time we will have another QFMA again.

Thumps is on the right track, don't just sit back and say it can't be done. > It can be bloody done, but only with numbers. To those that say the FO's will be divided........why?????? What ministry do our water police come under??????? Can't work for more than one minister...yeah right!!

Theres talk about size limits and bags, Can anyone show me where these are remotely connected to commercial fishos.???????????

We are nothing more than a recreational group of people that enjoy our past time and at times (especially for southerners) makes us tourists. We are no way involved in primary industry. Sit back and think about it, you can make a difference.

If SOMEONE got off their butt...and lobbyed hard enough....got enough names..and had a Representative Body to present the RIGHT ideas...then the pollies WOULD have to take notice

how many "fishing chat comunities" discuss this issue..and do nothing!!

why cant we as a group of "9743 registered members." who take time to be interested enough...in our chosen recreation form a Lobby Group

some electorates dont even have this many voters

if ppl are so interested in this...then stand up...and be noticed

i am no Einstein in ALL fishing matters but i do know things arent right and need some direction...or our recreation will be lost in a very short time

I put my hand up....who will follow????

I couldnt agree more Thumps,
    BUT
    I have in the passed been involved on a political level and fisherpeople are possible the one group that is so easy devided, catch and kill, catch and release ect.
    A big move in the right direction may be to choose one small area that you can get 75% of fisher people to agree on and use that as your point to lobby on and bring the group together.
    Another problem is only a very small dedicate group have energy to keep up the slog (and for those that have done it, well done, as it is a huge marathon)
    so maybe while we as members keep posting our views there will be people reading those posts and just maybe, oneday
    cheers
    blaze

It always amazed me that the word " Harvest " is used to describe what the Commercial Fishoes do. My understanding ( and now having discovered different ) was that one had to " sow " to " Reap " , which is another name for Harvest. So below is the meanings of Harvest.

har·vest
    n.
    The act or process of gathering a crop.
    The crop that ripens or is gathered in a season.
    The amount or measure of the crop gathered in a season.
    The time or season of such gathering.
    The result or consequence of an activity.
    v. har·vest·ed, har·vest·ing, har·vests
    v. tr.
    To gather (a crop).
    To take or kill (fish or deer, for example) for food, sport, or population control.
    To extract from a culture or a living or recently deceased body, especially for transplantation: harvested bone marrow.
    To gather a crop from.
    To receive (the benefits or consequences of an action). See Synonyms at "/search?q=reap".
    v. intr.
    To gather a crop.

As what the solution is to your Question Dave ..... !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know that in the DPI&F there is a " Recreational Fishing Unit ", but what powers or control that unit has is un-known to me.

I do know that the DPI&F have this vision, that if a resource if found, then we can make money from it, so Harvest it !

I can again acknowledge the efforts of the NT government is recognising the importance of a " lucrative " recreational fishing industry. As pointed out here many times, a commercial caught Barra gains x amount of $'s, and is lost. That same Barra can be caught many times over for an amount far exceeding the commercial rate, by the recreational angler.

Cheers Phill

Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

The_Walrus

These days if you want to "manage" rec fishing in Qld, you talk to any department other than DPI. Ie, EPA, NPW, etc.

Luc

"so maybe while we as members keep posting our views there will be people reading those posts and just maybe, oneday
    cheers
    blaze"

one day what???

im sorry Blaze but whilst i see your point..and have witnessed it so often myself..and agree with what your saying

maybe one day what??

unless WE act...then who will benefit

noone ever got anywhere without stumbling a few times

and if all we are is a bunch of selfish people that use our sport to glorify our own achievements..regardless of the cost to our fish stocks....then we deserve all we get

and what we will get in the end...is nothing because WE...right now....didnt stand up and fight for it

"I can again acknowledge the efforts of the NT government is recognising the importance of a " lucrative " recreational fishing industry. As pointed out here many times, a commercial caught Barra gains x amount of $'s, and is lost. That same Barra can be caught many times over for an amount far exceeding the commercial rate, by the recreational angler.

Cheers Phill"

is this our starting point???? is this what we want??....a unification of both saltwater and freshwater anglers, both catch and realease and catch and kill

Why can it be achieved there and not here????

who stood up and made the government change its ways in the first place??

the original question was WHO should be responsible for recreational fishing

the answer is simple...the ones that bl**dy use it.....US

are we such a group of apathetic boofheads that we cant agree to fix what we so desperatley want fixed??

or do we go the way of the polititians...and let infighting and snide remarks leave us as a voice in the dark...giving ourselves a pat on the back every time we do something good....and passing the buck everytime we are too afraid to answer to the real questions

yes lets fight on one issue....yes lets unite on one that we can almost agree on...and grow.. not stagnate and let the whole thing degrade till its not worth fighting for
    and lament that we should have done better

apathy kills....and i for one dont want our resources and our recreation dead

how long since QLD won the State of Origin???.....do they give up????and have we all stopped watching because they havent won ???

apathy kills....and i for one dont want our resources and our recreation dead

just as a side note

i see that on a few other topics...people are very quick to congratulate others that have achieved through adversity

they say ...how teary they get at those stories....how they get goose bumps over those stories.... how proud they are of others that do what some would call ordinary... because they have suffered some misfortunte in life.

what i say...is what we, as capable humans take for granted...those people dont...and they fight for what they want...and what they believe can be achieved...they fight because they believe it can be changed.

their not the ones that are disadvantaged....WE are because we take what we have for granted....we sit back and congratulate ourselves on being "normal"

i will not publicly congratulated these people that just do what WE all should do....i will not pat someone on the back for doing what WE could do...

i will be sad that we congratulate these people and dont see the real point....we are, and can be greater than what we are

but we choose not to be

until this changes....then we will lose our rights...and our recreation..and no dept will have any resistance from us

gif

Thumps

Then go for it. will YOU start up a branch of the Fishing Party in your arae? Email KC - you will get all the help you need, and have a real input into policy.

Work out what well thought out policies you want - and put them up.

Go for it! its the only option that will make a real difference

Gary

i will

and who will follow???

email sent

now where is the support from those that seem to care...but would rather sit back and watch someone else do the work??

and would rather continue to let it slide?

item one.....barra as a rec species only in Qld

withhold ALL boat licence fees to the Government until we are heard..that should get there attention

Dasher,

All commercial fisherman in Queensland are bound by the same size limitations as rec fisherman. One size fits all - no arguement.

Brett

Thumps, I'm sure your heart is in the right place, but not sure about your head.

I have also been involved in political lobby groups, and I can tell you from hard experience that sending an email is a complete and utter waste of time.

This govenment ONLY RESONDS TO

1. Consistent and repeated adverse exposure on the front page of the papers and TV (see dolphin feeding issue where Beattie had to step in to sop his stupid Minister from taking legal action)

2. Enough people upset about it in a specific electorate to unseat the local member (economic issues like cane farming in Nth Qld)

3. Legislation forced on it from the Federal Govt

The rest of the time it WILL do what it damn well pleases, and we are NOT united, or vocal enough, or attractive enough to the media to have a chance.

But don't let me talk you out of it!!!!!! if you have so much spare time, send all the emails you want.

the email was to the fishing party here in Qld

and my offer was to do what i can

maybe one man can make a difference