Thread: PLEASE READ AND ACT - Senate Inquiry

Derek_Bullock

PLEASE READ AND ACT - Senate Inquiry

http://www.aph.gov.au/senate/committee/ecita_ctte/nationalparks/tor.htm

The Senate has referred the following matter to the Committee for inquiry and report by 30 November 2006:

The funding and resources available to meet the objectives of Australia's national parks, other conservation reserves and marine protected areas, with particular reference to:

(a) the values and objectives of Australia's national parks, other conservation reserves and marine protected areas;
    (b) whether governments are providing sufficient resources to meet those objectives and their management requirements;
    (c) any threats to the objectives and management of our national parks, other conservation reserves and marine protected areas;
    (d) the responsibilities of governments with regard to the creation and management of national parks, other conservation reserves and marine protected areas, with particular reference to long-term plans; and
    (e) the record of governments with regard to the creation and management of national parks, other conservation reserves and marine protected areas.

In my opinion the above is going to be another attack on Marine and National Parks in Australia.

Read it well and respond appropriately.

Derek

CHRIS_aka_GWH

Re: PLEASE READ AND ACT - Senate Inquiry

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Bullock

The funding and resources available to meet the objectives of Australia's national parks, other conservation reserves and marine protected areas, with particular reference to:

(a) #the values and objectives of Australia's national parks, other conservation reserves and marine protected areas; #

(b) #whether governments are providing sufficient resources to meet those objectives and their management requirements; #

(c) #any threats to the objectives and management of our national parks, other conservation reserves and marine protected areas;
    #
    (d) #the responsibilities of governments with regard to the creation and management of national parks, other conservation reserves and marine protected areas, with particular reference to long-term plans; and #

(e) #the record of governments with regard to the creation and management of national parks, other conservation reserves and marine protected areas.

In my opinion the above is going to be another attack on Marine and National Parks in Australia.

Derek

i disagree Derek - please see the highlighted phrase/s - these give the inquiry its bias - its got a green edge to it. These are all phrases that say are we doing enough, what is stopping us from planning for the future rather than the rhetorical phrases used when governments want to cut budgets etc by testing value for money

Which senator started the ball rolling on this one ?

Derek_Bullock

Which senator started the ball rolling on this one ?
    Can't find this one out and in fact they haven't to my knowledge released anything about it.

However, dont agree with you that this is likley to be a good thing. All that will result from it in my opinion are further closures and accesses.

When I see something come out of the Government that starts talking about protecting the rights of recreational fishers then I might believe that they are going to help us. In the meantime keep an eye on this one.

Derek

Derek_Bullock

Further quote from their website.

Submissions become committee documents and are made public only after a decision by the Committee. Persons making submissions must not release them without the approval of the Committee. Submissions are covered by parliamentary privilege but the unauthorised release of them is not.
    So if someone like the Fishing Party make a submission then they cant release it on their website without permission from the Senate Committee. Same with me, if I make a submission I cant post it on here without there permission.

Something's not right here.

Derek

Further quote from their website.

Submissions become committee documents and are made public only after a decision by the Committee. Persons making submissions must not release them without the approval of the Committee. Submissions are covered by parliamentary privilege but the unauthorised release of them is not.
    So if someone like the Fishing Party make a submission then they cant release it on their website without permission from the Senate Committee. #Same with me, if I make a submission I cant post it on here without there permission.

Something's not right here.

Derek
    This cannot be right, anybody got the political nouse to advise us????

Good work again Derek.

Well done Derek. Thanks. We have to dig into this one and find out more. cheers baldy

CHRIS_aka_GWH

Derek
    attack on as opposed to attack on those who use ...

we are sailing the same boat Derek,

I understood your initial post to mean it was a government attack on national parks, say to hand them over to development, logging or mining interests.

It certainly seems to be far from it - the timing is interesting when those who access NParks the most would be away ...

Derek_Bullock

KC

Below are the Committee Members. #Barnaby and Ron are already on the committee. #The main concern for all of us is that Andrew Bartlet, Deputy Leader of the Democrats and supporter of anything green is the Chair.

Environment, Communications, Information Technology and the Arts References Committee

Members
    Senator Bartlett (Chair), Senator Adams (Deputy Chair), Senators Conroy, Lundy, Ronaldson and Wortley

Participating members
    Senators Abetz, Adams, Allison, Boswell, Bob Brown, George Campbell, Carr, Chapman, Colbeck, Conroy*, Coonan, Crossin, Eggleston, Evans, Faulkner, Ferguson, Ferris, Fielding, Forshaw, Humphries, Joyce, Ludwig, Mason, McGauran, Milne, Moore, Nettle, O'Brien, Payne, Ray, Siewert, Stephens, Watson and Webber

Derek

Derek_Bullock

Quote Originally Posted by CHRIS_aka_GWH
    [quote author=Derek Bullock link=1135585723/0#0 date=1135585722]

Derek
    attack on as opposed to attack on those who use ...

we are sailing the same boat Derek,

I understood your initial post to mean it was a government attack on national parks, say to hand them over to development, logging or mining interests.

It certainly seems to be far from it - the timing is interesting when those who access NParks the most would be away ...
    [/quote]

Chris

Attack on users by restricting our access and use of both National and Marine Parks and the creation of more and bigger parks.

Derek

All part of the big picture plan to close 33% of all Australian waters to recreatinal fishing, including the beaches...the senate enquiry is really just a way of softening us up first..particularly in the big population(voter) centres.

We will get very involved in this and I will contact Barnaby Joyce early in the New Year...maybe even see if he or Ron Boswell can get a seat on the committee.

As to publishing our submission without their "permission", this is a new one on me but it is vital that our members and supporters have input into the document so a number of "drafts" will at least be available for comment before lodgement.

Regards

KC

Hi Derek,
    Make the submission. Release it on the website. What are the suckers going to do? Shoot you? Blame technology-say the computer did it.
    Better still. Make the submission then join Ausfish under a phony name from a remote computer & post it. Then blame the Commitee for leaking it & kick up a big stink.
    ROLL TIDE, ROLL.................

Regards,
    Peter

bartlett is easy,
    a bottle of wine and a lap dance, should see him quiet in the corner for hours

well done derek for posting this stuff

cheers
    dazza

Derek, submissions are confidential, your quite free to publicly release your submission #if you choose.
    This seems to be the type of thing proposed but it appears the states don’t want to know much about it at the moment. http://www.deh.gov.au/heritage/publi...pine-plan.html
    I’m not sure it’s much of an issue, as the Franklin River showed the Federal Government can always override the states if they choose.
    Regards Charlie