Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Seaway cruise terminal a dead duck

Re: Seaway cruise terminal a dead duck

Hey Darren

So it doesnt matter what impacts the Terminal has on the Broadwater, the benefits will far out weigh the impacts.

So if the place dies in the arse after the Terminal is put in (fingers crossed it doesn't) Who is that going to benefit???

Wishey
    Bush N Beach Fishing Magazine
    4BC 1116
    "BERKLEY" Catch More Fish
    Fish Head Fishing Tackle

Wishey,

Your reading too much into it.

I didn't say that, I said in it's current form I don't think the impact is more than the outcome.

I spent a long time in the hospitality industry in this region on the Broadwater, and I can see the benefits it will bring.

The post was originally based on what they were saying in the papers and current affairs.

My post was to point out there is two sides to every story.

Just my two bob's. It's fine if you don't agree. That's life.

Regards

Darren

Darren,

Ok no worries, point taken.

I feel pretty strongly on this subject, I think we will agree to disagree.

Opinions are like noses, everybody has a different one.

Such is life

Copyarlater

Wishey
    Wishey
    Bush N Beach Fishing Magazine
    4BC 1116
    "BERKLEY" Catch More Fish
    Fish Head Fishing Tackle

Done!!

I was at the Underwater footage night on Thursday with a bunch of other Ausfishers. Once again the first questions were grabbed by a few lobbyists pushing their views on the Cruise ship terminal. Totally the wrong forum if you ask me and they didn't collect any brownie points there.

I was blown away that for an organised group their only arguments were that the residents of main beach would be inconvenienced by conrete trucks and that there was a fear that the passengers would not buy any local meat pies so the local shops would loose their regular customers that visit the spit.
    To be fair there were also concerns about the impact of dredging the seaway but this was the other two points raised.

I left the meeting and realized that the footage we had just seen of fantastic life in the seaway was all due to the man made structure and piping that was introduced some years ago. Like Wishey has pointed out it took many years for the waterway to recover after the massive changes of the seaway last time but today there is extensive marine life in the Seaway. The pipe is at about 13M in depth but to get it all to 12M will mean extensive dredging in the channel and I guess introduction of more wall and structure. Hopefully in the long term the area will recover once more. I wonder however if the population growth is not impacting the area more than a terminal ever will.

B_B,

Was very surprised by the comments on the night, very shallow by the ones there. There has to be some way to save the marine life that is there.

A comment a few pages back also spoke about tugs positioning the boats against moring. On entering the brissy river I was quite surprised at the amount of turbulated muck that these tugs produce when pushing / positioning the vesel, it went for about 200 metres and was about 50 metres wide, the visibility would have been zero. You dont want such a thing happening in the sea way.

Cheers Steven
    Cheers

Steven

Derek_Bullock

Maybe time to revisit this.

Derek

Hi all this is the end of fishing at the Gold Coast if we think that shipping is going to stop because of 20kt winds we will be badly mistaken the only problem is that if they kept the terminals at Brisbane river there would be less damage on the enviroment as they will have to dedge the Seaway and surrounding area as well as extend the walls out either side this may with luck be to exspenive we can only hope but this will make the runnout to wild on big tides

Hi all
    the irony of all this is in the governments (LETS LOOK AT BEING MORE ENVIRONMENTAL) the Beattie Government is looking at destroying the Gold Coast with its Shipping Terminal but i have not seen one person talking about this topic if this goes ahead we as fisher-person's will agian be held to boundaries within the coast but the other irony of this is that the Southern end of South Stradbroke island and Wave Break Island is already a National Park so please inform the public as to how, which and why the Government is going to build a Shipping terminal there does this now mean that the South Stradbroke island land is going to the highest bidder in the land developers or are they just Scr!wing us agian taking away from all the stuff-up this Government has had I think most fisher-person would like to know sorry guy's but I think that with all the conservationist and greenie's you would think they they would have had something to say on this matter destroying more Breeding grounds just for a few more dollars

Cheers
    Steve
    P.S placed this on all for people to reply I think we need to know

gif

There is a public meeting - a show of people power in February

Some of those that will be there are a bit to Green to be my best friend - but "my enemys enemy is my friend"

In Victoria the Fishng Party lead a group of interst groups to try to save Port Phillip from a similar Dredging.

I wil get you all the date an details

Gary