Thread: Camping Reduced by 50% at Inskip Point

Derek_Bullock

Camping Reduced by 50% at Inskip Point

Recreational fishers once again under attack following a Govt knee jerk reaction to reduced camping by 50% at Inskip Point.

Reminds me of the old saying "Be careful of knee jerk reactions as you may dislocate your knee".

See camping post at http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfis...m=1136274239/0

Cheers

Derek

Barrymundi

Re: Camping Reduced by 50% at Inskip Point

years ago you were not even legally allowed to camp there

i have seen inskip at easter and xmas and the place looked like a mad womans s''''. people just camp wherever. stuffed if i would ever camp there and plenty of dogs. prob good idea to organise it. i have been going to double island for years and i would be happy tp pay for a permit. might keep all the idiots away. the ones that scream up the beach. i dont have little ones any more but shit it would worry me no end.

It is about time the government opened up some new camp sites rather than closing them down like they seem to be doing at the moment and thereby puting more pressure on the excisting ones.

Louis

I spoke at lenght to David Gibson this afternoon (organiser of protest), no one is denying some problems exist with current strucure....it is just that the Governments and EPA's answer to this is to close it down...what about employiong more rangers, better waste control measures, better enforcemnet and a permit system? Why is the first reaction....close it?? Surely this is just the same horse/different jockey approach to national park management.

We will work with Mr Gibson on this.

KC
    TFPQ

Haven't been to Inskip or Double Island for years but I see from reading this that the idiots still know how to find it. More rigid permits may help but then being an idiot doesn't mean they don't have $$ to pay permit.

(I had one idiot run over the tip of my rod one night on DI beach as he was yahooing his way along..broke my fav surf rod of the time >)

gif

Thsi is not a reaction to the fight. Government does not move that quickly, especially over Christmas. They had this closure idea ready and waiting.

There is a broader plan to get people off Fraser Island

Recall what happening with the Road ubgrading - and banning beach use.

G

Passports is what's needed. They say it is the population explosion that's to blame.
    My solution...if you can't prove you lived here in 1980...no permit!! Simple....
    Seriously, blaming the population explosion has become the answer to everthing! Except our poor performance at cheatball, I mean the NRL

There are just a few more people here now than there were in the 'good old days' though and it must really take it's toll on places with a delicate eco' balance, lets hope that amiracle happens and they make a decision favourable to fishers! Although this won't be likely, we can always dream.

it's not a knee jerk reaction.
    i have 2 uncles that are rangers there this reduced camping thing has been in the pipeline for sometime. The place definately need more regulation than it has. i dfinately do not even consider camping any school holidays due to the amount of people virtually camping ontop of each other.
    kleiny

G'day Gary,

I think you may be on the right track.

Louis

Derek_Bullock

Those who have been to Inskip will know that it is a prime camping however, there is still no water and the toilets are few and far between.

Surely an upgrade of facilities would be a more appropriate way to go. Camping fees are currently $4.00 per person or $16.00 for a family group.

At 4000 people a night they are most likely pulling in $12,000 to $16,000 a night. #Take that over the main 4 weeks over Christmas and thats any thing up to $448,000 without even providing reasonable facilities. #How many average big Caravan Parks can do that.

Derek

G'day Derek,

Those are some incredible sums of money involved.

You'd think the Government would be trying to encourage camping etc considering the level of income it generates rather than trying to lock people out.

Louis

Derek_Bullock

Local Member Calls For Answers

MP wants answers on future of Inskip Point camping

Friday, 6 January 2006. 14:30 (AEDT)Friday, 6 January 2006. 13:30 (ACST)Friday, 6 January 2006. 13:30 (AEST)Friday, 6 January 2006. 14:30 (ACDT)Friday, 6 January 2006. 11:30 (AWST)

The Member for Gympie has called on Environment Minister Desley Boyle to direct her staff to respond quickly to community concerns over proposals to restrict camping on Inskip Point, near Rainbow Beach.

The Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service is proposing to reduce the number of people who can camp at Inskip Point by up to half during busy periods.

Elisa Roberts says she wrote to the Minister seeking clarification about campers concerns in mid-December.

Ms Roberts says there still has not been any official word from the Minister's office on the matter and that's just not good enough.

"It's not like her office is closed down completely - I mean there's got to be a government running 24 hours a day.

"There are people out there who are really, really worried about this, particularly the Rainbow Beach community, the business community, people who live there and I think it's a little remiss of the Minister."

Ms Roberts says people have the right to know about the future of the camping area.

"I want to be able to tell my community, my constituents, what the Government's planning to do and until the Minister gives me something I'm not able to do that."