Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: National Animal Welfare Bill: Fishing Prohibition

Re: National Animal Welfare Bill: Fishing Prohibit

After some advice the nuts and bolts of this is the bill is proposed by the Democrats and supported by the greens but has no other support. It is effectively buried BUT!!!!! be very aware the RAP closures and the National Oceans Office and its agenda to close 30% of all coastal waters was also a democrats policy and when they (Meg Lees) controlled the senate and Howard wanted her support to pass the GST the trade off was Government adoption of the democrats national oceans policy....science NEVER drove RAP...politics did.

The greens and democrats are now in the political wilderness because they are no longer in a balance of power position.....that role seems to be falling to Barnaby Joyce.

This bill will sit on the shelves UNTIL/If EVER the democrats control the senate again!!

Bartlett is just trotting out a plee for the leafy green and tree hugger vote but this will not save him at the next election....GONE...Outta here!! It is however, or should be, a wake up call. This bill, in the "right" political climate, could be passed....just like similar bills have been passed in Europe where all forms of C & R, Competitions and live baiting are banned and rec fishing is increasingly viewed as the socially unacceptable pusuit of an ecentric few........a bit like duck hunting is here and now. Cast your mind back 20 years and duck hunting was fine and then project your thoughts 20 years forward. Where will fishing fit in the social fabric?

TFPQ will not be making a submission on this bill, we really don't want to give it any credibility or start a public debate on the whole C & R issue. That said, we are not ignoring it and the Nationals will & have dealt with it on our behalf.

Regards

KC

gif

Live Baiting also banned

KC is more positive than me that the Greens are gone. # #I think they will come back harder than before and are not a spent force. # The next election is absolutely the make or break for Fishing in Australia. #

This Bill may get up for other reasons #- Howard may do a deal to get his IR legislation through the Senate. # #The Greens needs a win, #and Howard wanst his IR Bill. #So it is just possible there may be some strange deals that go on. # #If that happens Fishing will be dead before Christmas.

Derek did a great job in his analysis #- thanks.

But he did miss one point. # #Under S87 #Animals Used to feed Another Animal I think we would also see a total ban on Live Baiting. #

This Legislation would also see the end of Kids Fishing Days (under the same section that stops fishing competitions)

Again: #this has already happened in Germany which is the leading legislation that other Green Parties tend to follow.

Gary

Fishing for Food is Fine......
    Humane Killing of Food is fine.

I (personally) don't care about C&R "only" comps ,as until "equal prizes" are given for C&K guys fish-capture as well ,they're discriminatory in my book

Live-baiting & C&R of "legalsize" fish are issues ,to remain aware and focussed on with foresight NOT "hindsight"

Fishing WON'T be banned EVER ,but just like the 1kg.line on "maximising the thrill" of the capture ,is less practised nowadays, so may some of the lesser FOOD-GATHERING techniques.

JMO ,no shitstir intended.

Strange,I typed "Fishing in Germany"into google and found a page that actually invited me over to go fishing in nearly every country in Europe,could someone post some web sites that state the facts on what is or is not legal,from what I've read sport fishing is alive and well right throughout Europe.

Derek_Bullock

http://www.anglerverband.com/texte/n...oeko_0015.html

Read that. The propose Animal Welfare Bill in Australia just about mirrors it.

Derek

Derek_Bullock

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...15/ixhome.html

Looks like the UK is going through the same thing as here. They also have a Bill on the go.

Derek

Does anyone seriously think this will eventuate in this country?

Derek_Bullock

Although this is a PETA website it tells about the bans in Norway. http://www.fishinghurts.com/feat-fishNorway.asp

A lot of people do Banshee. It's something we shouldnt ignore otherwise it will be here for sure. Australia is the last untouched area for some of these groups.

Derek

Derek_Bullock

Scotland is also considering similar legislation

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publicati.../1683736/37451

DaveSue_Fishos_Two

Always keep in mind that this is not Germany or England or Scotland. This is AUSTRALIA. We don't do things the way a lot of countries do, that's why so many of their nationals are living here in AUSTRALIA. Our democratic system, and the pollies answering to us at election time, will ensure we never see a total ban on rec fishing in this country, ever. There are far too many of us. Millions in fact. But if people choose to write to Bartlett and co and keep the pot brewing by making a song and dance about his ridiculous proposal you can be absolutely certain that it will result in at least some change. They would already be laughing their heads off just from reading this thread, the desired result has already been achieved. Ignore this scare mongering completely. That sends them the loudest message possible: "We're not interested in even commenting on your ridiculous, idiotic proposal. Goodbye Mr Chips". Speaking of which I am sure Mr Don Chip would turn in his grave if he could see how his beloved Democratic Party has evolved at the hands of under achieving out of touch amateurs.

Cheers
    Dave
    Cheers
    Dave

Derek_Bullock

Dave

I wonder if that is what people in Europe thought back in the early nineties. I bet the average fisherman thought that it would never happen to them over there.

Derek

Well I guess if they take fishing off us then we wont feel so bad when we are working our weekends and holidays for $6 an hour under the new "IR REFORMS"

Why do these idiots keep getting into positions to control our lives?

DaveSue_Fishos_Two

Derek

Our country, Australia, is an island. The largest in the world as I'm sure you know. There aren't a hell of a lot of countries who enjoy being surrounded by temperate waters where fishing can be a year round pursuit. That's why so many of Australia's population are rec anglers, and why the majority of the population lives on the coast. The Pollies and their families fish too, (maybe with the exception of Bartlett) and I'll wager that a bloody lot of Bob Brown's followers are rec fisho's too.

Total banning is just not going to happen here. There are far, far, far too many of us. It is true that probably none of us believed 20 years ago that duck shooting would one day be banned. I am sad for those shooters, but fishing.............. the number of fisho's would heavily outweigh any other outdoor recreational activity in this country.

I won't be posting anything further on this thread. I feel that already I have commented further than I would have liked to on Bartlett's braindead proposal. I do appreciate everyone's own thoughts though and respect the opinions of all.

Cheers and thanks

Dave

Always keep in mind that this is not Germany or England or Scotland. This is AUSTRALIA.
    Reel Nauti,
    It is because this is Australia that we should be concerned.
    Your approach of "just ignore it and it will go away" is typical of the Australian approach to any political involvement.
    Australians don't understand our political system. They don't understand how preferential voting works. They don't question the fact that their duly elected member is most likely simply going "toe the party line" rather than represent the wishes of their electorate.

We may not see a total ban soon, but death by a thousand cuts is still death.

cheers,

Owen
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

Derek_Bullock

Dont think for one moment that Andrew Bartlet developed and wrote this Bill. This is a masterpiece that has received a lot of research and effort from every conservation group in this country, high profile public servants and a number of overseas conservation organisations as well.

The good old Democrats under the leadership of Bartlett are just a front for them all in this matter.

Ducks this time .................... live baiting next ............... tcatch and release ........... then fishing competitions. The writing is on the wall so dont ignore it.

I am disapointed in the Fishing Party attitude that the Nationals will fix it! Read what Gary wrote about the IR reforms. Deals are done as always in the back rooms and corridors of Parliament House regardless of public opinion. Think of the reef closures. You didnt all expect that to happen but it did though and there are more to come with the Great Sandy Marine Park just around the corner and later the Moreton Bay Marine Park. What after that ................ the Gold Coast Marine Park.

What areas south of Brisbane will be next to be closed to fishing. Remnember Beattie promised in 2002 that this would happen along the whole of the Qld Coast or have you forgotten. Perhaps someone will decide that Palm Reef or somewhere off Currumbin is overfished and needs to be closed to fishing as part of a Gold Coast Marine Park.

Burying your head in the sand and saying Australia is an island and a great country full of great people wont stop it.

Cheers

Derek