Thread: "payback" and shake-up for GBRMPA

"payback" and shake-up for GBRMPA

In the Courier Mail today;

"The Federal Gov't would abolish the independant GBRMPA and downsize reef no-fishing zones, Labor said yesterday.
    Opposition environment spokesman Anthony Albanese said the move was payback for the fishing industry's preference deal with the Fishing Party at the last federal election.
    Environment Minister Ian Campbell yesterday ruled out any changes to fishing exclusion zones put in place in 2004 but made no commitment on the future of the authority, which Mr Albanese said was to be absorbed into the Environment Department."

Does this actually mean anything or is it just pollies spruiking off and looking to score points. It does look like the authority will be scaled down though?

Re: "payback" and shake-up for GBRMPA

To me it sounds great on the surface but I'm cautiously thinking it may just be a rewrite of their intention to remove GBRMPA to Canberra where it will be even more useless.
    Any fishing is good fishing (should probably say Any fishing is...probably going to be illegal soon)

If this is true then it seems The Fishing Party is well on it's way to achieving some of it's goals. To have it acknowledged, whether truthfully or not, that TFPQ has this sort of influence on the future direction of GBRMPA policy is a very significant step in the right direction.

This is pretty important and needs to be set straight.

The Fishing Party (Qld) contacted each of the major parties in the election lead-up to talk "preferences".

Liberal and labor both treated us as a joke and virtually hung up in our ear.

The Nationals however had Ron Boswell on a plane same day (true).

We asked for 3 things in exchange for our preferences.

1. The structural adjustment package offered to commercial fishers effected by RAP be widened to include land based businesses, partricularly those servicing the rec sector.......Campbell, then Howard announced this as an election policy some days later.

2. A review of the GBRMPA and GBRMP Act with a view to making it more representitive, more accountable and ensuring that never again would public input be so ignored........Howard announced this review some days later on Green Island. The review has since been undertaken, with TFPQ involvement and the results are soon to be released.

3. $100,000 a year funding for Recfish.....done!

It needs to be added that we were not the only ones calling for these meassures. It is acknowledged however, both within Government and industry circles that our preference arrangements tipped the scales.
    The fact that they ended up getting Barnaby Joyce elected was a fluke, not an intent. All we wanted was what we asked for to be adopted as Government policy, and it was.

We did not ask for a winding back of green zones....too hard.
    We did not ask for GBRMPA to be wound back or moved to Canberra......just exposed for the lies they told and made accountable.

To a degree this piece is "political point scoring" but there is an underlying truth that getting things changed only happens when you are involved in the political process.
    Lobbying without offering something in return is really just begging.

I would also add that we have absolutely no arrangements made in regards the next round of federal preference arrangements and I will be calling Mr Albanese and reminding him that he might just be shooting off his own foot.

KC

Thanks for the rest of the story KC, the major parties will be calling you next time around, good work, regards.

Already are!!

KC

BAIT_MAN

Quote Originally Posted by kc
    Already are!!

KC
    Just to back up Kc on this issue myself and Matt Mercer meet with Mr Mike Horan, MP...........Shadow Minister for Primary Industries and Fisheries in his office last night. We spent 1 1/2 hours with him in regards to the proposed 33 - 50% closures to Moreton Bay and a number of other issues. The outcome was very positive.

It's good to see that we are able to secure meetings with these political types now instead of being fobbed off. We are seeing the value of our vote. Has there been much interaction with the Qld Minister for Primary industries because I haven't seen a lot reported? Good work fellas.

Have tried and still get "fobbed off"...they have learnt nothing "yet".......they will.

The EPA and Minister Boyles office have told us dead set lies over the GSS issue and Mr Mullherin won't meet with, instead telling us to make an appointment to meet one of his advisors next time I'm in Brisbane....while Horan is prepred to jump on a plane and fly to Airlie Beach.

KC

KC if you want to get Mullherin & Doyles Attention just release a press statement that in the next Election (FEB 07) TFPQ will target THEIR SEATS with a candidate...You will see some action then I'll bet.

Working on our target seats now. We will get their attention soon...watch this space!

KC

Let's keep our fingers crossed for the Gaven by-election.

On Stateline, ABC, tonite they had a story on the cruise ship terminal on the GC seaway/spit. They represented the community side of the debate. With reps from homeowner and community groups it did have a green tinge to it, but it will aid in the fight to stop the terminal. IMO the story came across as anti terminal, regardless of Ann Bligh's reasurances.

KC, thanks for your effort, I'll be watching this space closely.
    BB