Thread: Greens Policy: Close all Qld coastline to fishing

Greens Policy: Close all Qld coastline to fishing

The following was taken directly from the Qld greens policy website: http://qld.greens.org.au/policies/marine-policy/

If the green vote is higher than fishing vote - expect wholesale closures of all areas to fishing in Queensland - not just Moreton Bay, GBR and Sandy straits... but the lot from NSW to NT.

The Greens are in bed with labor - a vote for the greens is a vote to sell your fishing gear and take up playing video games or Golf - I cant do either.

Send Beattie a message - dont mess with our lifestyle. This is not about anti greens or anti labor its about your lifestyle... you may not like the alternatives but if we dont make a stand NOW its going to be too late - pass the word. The greens are standing candidates in almost every seat in Qld. They stand to gather a large protest vote - particularly from the younger voters... which they will hand back to labor through preferences in exchange for taking away your favorite pastime. Spread the word - dont vote Green!!!!

Can WE afford to disregard this???

Adam

Marine Policy

1. Principles

The Queensland Greens believe that:

1.1 Queensland's marine environment is a much loved treasure that provides a resource for fishers, tourism and recreational users as well as habitat for a vast diversity of marine life, including dugongs, turtles, whales and fish.

1.2 Current levels and methods of fishing are largely unsustainable, depleting both target and by-catch species, and damaging their habitat.

1.3 No-take sanctuaries which protect all marine life are vital for marine health, supporting much higher levels of biodiversity and promoting recovery of degraded areas.

1.4 The aquaculture industry has potential benefits but must be developed in a sustainable manner.

2. Goals

The Queensland Greens want:

2.1 To properly protect the marine environment off Queensland's entire coastline by expansion of the existing park and protected area system.

2.2 To allow damaged habitats to recover.

2.3 To better patrol existing marine parks and protected areas.

2.4 To properly assess potential locations of aquaculture farms before they are established.

3. Measures

The Queensland Greens will:

3.1 Establish a continuous Marine Park from the NSW border to the NT border. Once established, a comprehensive network of no-take zones should be established in the Park to conserve biodiversity and ecosystem values. No-take zones should be established in accordance with the IUCN standard of a 20-30% minimum. Where commercial fishers are genuinely displaced by no-take zones, the Government should contribute to the buy-out of fishing licences to avoid displacement of effort. Extend Reef Water Quality Protection Plan (RWQPP) concept to all coastal catchments, especially migratory breeding and spawning grounds.

Glind

Re:  Greens Policy: Close all Qld coastline t

I read with interest our local newspaper yesterday which had a piece from Shane Moon, the Lib candidate for Pumicestone.
    The Libs and the Independant candidate for Glasshouse, Ken Piva, say that locking up the Bay won't help problems we face. They suggest water quality issues, reviews of bag limits and sizes is the best way to combat any issues we face.
    Hooray, some common sense.
    They also suggest the input should come from those who know the Bay, like rec's, pro's and real science.
    Hooray again for common sense.
    Mr Moon also states that the knee jerk reaction of Green zoning and lock outs will not solve the problems long term, but the real fix will come from smart management which does not affect peoples lifestyleor the economy of those lives depend on the Bay.
    Wow, all of this from politicians. They have been listening to the people and they should be supported. If you can't vote for a TFPQ candidate, there are other options, but not labor or the Greens.
    My view,
    Tim

Gorilla_in_Manila

Adamy,

Yeah, well it doesn't quite say close the entire coastline and ban fishing, but 10 out of 10 for utilising the green's scare tactics right back at them.

Correct me if I am wrong (nicely), but I was under the impression that the legislation that went through when the state made the adjustment to the 3 mile zone to fit in with the GBRMP, actually already applies to the whole of the QLD coast; NSW - NT. Now all the state government has to do is use the rules for "review" of the water covered by that legislation to implement changes like closures in that zone.

I thought the seahorse had already bolted so to speak.

Cheers
    Jeff

Gorilla, You could be right... about the 3 mile zone thing, I dont know - not really an expert on the subject... but I was quite surprised when I saw the Greens official policy that I had to post. And yes you are right - it doesnt actually say what my title says.... but its not a long stretch of the bow to say that it could happen. if the greens get their way. Thats why we have to take their power away before they can use it. Perhaps someone else may know concerning the 3 mile zones??

I also have it on VERY good authority from a source deep inside the greens that they are calling on community consultation regarding closures in Moreton Bay... But not OUR community - only the "green" community and further more they want a "guarantee" from the EPA and bureaucrats that once they have developed their report for implementation - that the bureaucrats wont edit or change or politicise the report... so they just want the EPA to accept their recommendations and adopt them as policy without further consultation with any other Bay users. I cannot quote this source - very sorry or else they will be discovered within the organisation and locked out. (so I cant comment further about this.... sorry)

Gorilla... I hope for our sake we can corral that cagey little seahorse and keep him in the pen (so to speak)

Gorilla_in_Manila

Adamy,

Maybe check with KC. I was following it on here at the time, coz my old stomping grounds had just been screwed over with the Byron Marine park.

As per normal operating procedure, it was very hard to find any published info on what was happening with that QLD legislation or the full ramifications. Looked to me that Beattie slipped that little swifty through whilst everyone was moaning about the GBRMP.

If it is the case, then it's even more critcal that fisho's get a politcal voice, coz ANY government that gets into power on a state level in QLD could implement changes under the review system when ever it suits in the future. ie the seahorse has bolted but with a fishing jockey onboard we can hope that he will be constantly reigned back to some extent.

I will be very happy to hear from someone that knows a bit more about this and overjoyed to hear that I've got it wrong.

Cheers
    Jeff

Re: #Greens Policy: Close all Qld coastline t

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_N
    I read with interest our local newspaper yesterday which had a piece from Shane Moon, the Lib candidate for Pumicestone.
    The Libs and the Independant candidate for Glasshouse, Ken Piva, say that locking up the Bay won't help problems we face. They suggest water quality issues, reviews of bag limits and sizes is the best way to combat any issues we face.
    Hooray, some common sense.
    They also suggest the input should come from those who know the Bay, like rec's, pro's and real science.
    Hooray again for common sense.
    Mr Moon also states that the knee jerk reaction of Green zoning and lock outs will not solve the problems long term, but the real fix will come from smart management which does not affect peoples lifestyleor the economy of those lives depend on the Bay.
    Wow, all of this from politicians. They have been listening to the people and they should be supported. If you can't vote for a TFPQ candidate, there are other options, but not labor or the Greens.
    My view,
    Tim

There are parallels to be made with water quality and the decline of fish stocks.
    Listening to any old Bay fisho's, the fishing started going backwards in the 50's, that's also when commercial development and industrial expansion was on the increase in Brisbane.
    It's only been in the last 10yrs or so that stringent pollution controls have been enforced on dumping into the river, and lo and behold the
    river fishing is picking up. This is no coincidence.
    The overall general health of the bay won't be solved by locking it up.
    This is the Greens solution, lock it up, they don't any solutions at all!
    They know that any alternative solutions will dilute their doomsday argument, and portray them as purveyors of BS to advance their political aspirations.
    With any luck they'll go the way of the Democrats soon enough, once the electorate wakes up to their true motives and character, they'll fizzle out.
    They're not trying to save the environment, they're trying to build little empires for themselves. (my own thoughts)

Jeff,

You are 100% correct, it only takes a stroke of the pen to change the "no go" zones to us. Unfortunately, this is a battle that will NOT be won at this election, it will be an ongoing campaign for the foreseeable future to ensure our rights to fish.

On a different note, but still relating to the greens, I had to shake my head in disgust when Peter Beattup said on Wednesday (I THINK) that if the water crisis keeps going, he will have to pay farmers not to farm their land for a year. Well alot of thought went into that one (Had to be a Greeny advising him on that one).

Send the farmers broke, and buy back their worthless land from them, revegetate it and turn it into state forest with a view to becoming National Park. That'll keep the green preferences won't it. Not only that, but bugger up our economy into the bargain.

Peter Beattup and his gang have to go, and then the battle is won for our fishing rights, but not the war, it will be long and protracted, and dare I say it, we are going to lose alot of fishing areas before it is all over.

There are many ways to vote, but the only way to make a difference is to take every single "How to vote" card and make sure that wherever you are, you make sure that labor and those that are giving their preferences to them go down last.

It just doesn't seem fair, but whatever happened to one vote one value, because they way it works you might just be voting labor in whether you want to or not!

Over and out > > > > >
    Horny

Live every day as if it's your last - for one day you're sure to be right!

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower
    J

It just doesn't seem fair, but whatever happened to one vote one value, because they way it works you might just be voting labor in whether you want to or not!

Over and out > > > > >
    Hey Hornblower... I agree with a lot of what you write.... The way things are going with preference deals (Labor using Just vote 1, Libs using just vote 1, FP; just vote 1) it almost is one vote 1 value... Looks like only the greens and perhaps family first will actually be delivering preferences. This is a real pity because without preference deals - the coalition have no chance... there are far too many Laborites out there... they dont care how bad the hospitals are, they dont care how bad we need water and how this Govt squashed the coalitions 4 dams they had approved before Beattie took power - they dont care about roads and families and police and all that stuff - as long as their guy gets in - thats all that counts. It has been pointed out in this forum that Labor has been in Govt 17 out of the last 20 years... so who has caused this mess???..... No couldnt be labor - its Johnny and his IR laws.

Yup here we go again - another 3 years of broken promises..... at least we can fight for our right to go fishing in the bay - cause after all is said and done - thats all we might have left!

Oops I got off track.... meant to talk about one vote 1 value... its back in fashion and the winners and grinners are labor.... HATE GRINNERS - cut em up and throwem back!!!

Australian Marine Conservation Society

The Australian government has committed to protecting our oceans through Marine Protected Areas (MPAs). Australia already has the biggest MPA in the world (Great Barrier Reef Marine Park) as well as the largest marine reserve in the world (Heard and McDonald Islands). Moreton Bay is also a marine park; however the current zoning of the park protects less than 1% of the area. This is 100% unacceptable.

The Moreton Bay Marine Park zoning is currently under its 10 year review. This is our opportunity to demand that more of the Bay be placed under permanent protection for future generations. AMCS believes it is necessary to have at least 30-50% of Moreton Bay within reserves (protected areas closed to all extractive activities). To help achieve this, AMCS will be organising a series of free community seminars in South-East Queensland to inform the public about the amazing animals that live within the bay and the issues surrounding its protection. The AMCS website will also provide a gateway for you to find out more about Moreton Bay as well as providing an easy way for you to contact politicians with your concerns and have your say.

Australian Marine Conservation Society who have presented a paper to the EPA calling for up to 30% to 50% total closure of the bay.

A bit of info >

There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.

Isn't that just like the Greens. Who will we be protecting the fish stocks for, if we can't fish it. I suppose the Indos and the Japs will be able to benifite from the increasing fish stocks, by there continued illegal fishing in our water. Who knows they might even let us import our fish from Indonesia or Japan in the near future.

Camo

Hi all
    74 green canditates are contesting the upcoming State election
    Regards Peter

Thanks Adam, Yes it is all a worry, but talking about it here is a start, I'm telling everyone about this who will listen to me, and also a few who won't

By the way, as I was going to work this morning Dave Downie had on the fishing show a young lady called Donna (I forget her last name) who represents the Moreton Bay Access Alliance (I think I have that right), we have more people on our side then we think, and I encourage all to get onto Dave's website to download the petition and sign it. Also The Alliance apparently have postcards to send to politicians to get our message across. I will inquire as to how we get hold of them.

Cheers
    Horny

Live every day as if it's your last - for one day you're sure to be right!

Re: #Greens Policy: Close all Qld coastline t

Hi all
    have read the post with great interest and with most of the scientific results and the so called rocket scientist that they forget to mention that the lack of rain the over development of the foreshores, industrial run off and the fact that we are in one of the longest droughts seen in Qld for queit some time is having a very big effect on not only water supply but also our fishing the salinaty build up is due to lack of rain not over fished or the fact that we are runnning our motors in the bay's or river ask the oldr fisho's and they will tell you the bay is just coming back but still has a long way to go if we get good rain then we will have bait fish in the bay not in the far reaches of the rivers but then who are we most cerntianly not rocket scientist just poor old fisho's that live for the sport and know when the fish are they and some no why they are not there

Yup here we go again - another 3 years of broken promises..... at least we can fight for our right to go fishing in the bay - cause after all is said and done - thats all we might have left!

Adamy hope fully it will not be that way but if it is with the Beattie Government return to power and they do not produce the goods it will be the last time anyone will vote for the Labour party as they will just knot be trusted as we do not just them now > >

time to send the Beattie and greenies home like bad little doggys with there tail between there legs

Cheers
    Steve