Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Support Shane Boese TFPQ Candidate

Re: Support Shane Boese TFPQ Candidate

Just a couple of quick thoughts on this campaign (IMHO):
    (Please note the term "we" below is used to describe fishos in general not TFPQ, I count myself as one of them, fishos that is)

1. We need to stress the point that the fishing lobby is not extremistly (is that a word?) against every form of closure, eg the seasonal closure on Fraser Is seems to work well and I havent met even one fisho who doesnt agree with the concept and the need. We need to stress that what Fishos want is responsible and scientifically based sustainable management. That means a combination of bag limits, size limits (and in some cases, some closures) WHERE NECESSARY to ensure that we can enjoy the fishery resource indefinitely. We (or at least me) are not ANTI-GREEN we are SENSIBLE-GREEN, preserve for sustainable use, not lock away from every-one.

2. Shane, it's getting down to the wire, you need to announce your preferences BASED UPON FISHING ISSUES. Obviously individuals can vote however they want and base it upon whatever issues they want, but they are now looking to you for guidance on which of the major parties presents the best option for them on fishing issues. I guess thats the responsibility you must assume if you stand on one issue alone. Your supporters deserve to have their vote count even after they've made their point by supporting you, so please indicate preferences and encourage your supporters to use preferences.

3. TFPQ, I fully support your stand and were I in one of your electorates you'd get my number 1 vote but I'm not in your electorate so now I must decide between the parties I have on offer. TFPQ needs to issue a general statement of preferences based upon the overall policies of the major parties or needs to issue an electorate by electorate preferences based upon individual candidates stated positions. (Obviously the former is simpler).

The above points need to be widely publicised WELL before polling day.

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbefishin
    Just a couple of quick thoughts on this campaign (IMHO):
    (Please note the term "we" below is used to describe fishos in general not TFPQ, I count myself as one of them, fishos that is)

1. #We need to stress the point that the fishing lobby is not extremistly (is that a word?) against every form of closure, eg the seasonal closure on Fraser Is seems to work well and I havent met even one fisho who doesnt agree with the concept and the need. #We need to stress that what Fishos want is responsible and scientifically based sustainable management. #That means a combination of bag limits, size limits (and in some cases, some closures) WHERE NECESSARY to ensure that we can enjoy the fishery resource indefinitely. #We (or at least me) are not ANTI-GREEN we are SENSIBLE-GREEN, preserve for sustainable use, not lock away from every-one.

2. #Shane, it's getting down to the wire, you need to announce your preferences BASED UPON FISHING ISSUES. #Obviously individuals can vote however they want and base it upon whatever issues they want, but they are now looking to you for guidance on which of the major parties presents the best option for them on fishing issues. #I guess thats the responsibility you must assume if you stand on one issue alone. #Your supporters deserve to have their vote count even after they've made their point by supporting you, so please indicate preferences and encourage your supporters to use preferences.

3. #TFPQ, I fully support your stand and were I in one of your electorates you'd get my number 1 vote but I'm not in your electorate so now I must decide between the parties I have on offer. #TFPQ needs to issue a general statement of preferences based upon the overall policies of the major parties or needs to issue an electorate by electorate preferences based upon individual candidates stated positions. #(Obviously the former is simpler).

The above points need to be widely publicised WELL before polling day.
    G'day ratherbefishin

Your Number 1 of the above points is being widely publicised, the brochures and post cards distributed to the public cover a lot of what you're saying.
    As for the preferences, there's another thread here dealing with them, don't know if I agree that preferences must be made anyway. I believe the current approach is the correct one.

I'm lucky enough to be in Cleveland, so TFPQ gets my vote, if I didn't live here it would be the Coalition getting the nod, it's time for a change, Beattie is way too arrogant to stay.

regards

redspeckle

Here is Shane Boese on Campaign Trail from weekend

redspeckle

[smiley=dankk2.gif] to Gary & Jeremy and Steve helping Shane Boese on the weekend just gone getting out and meeting the people at the boat ramps and Electrolate of Cleveland
    Mitch

Shane Boese talking with the public at Wellington Point boat ramp Saturday 26th.

Gelsec,
    I'm only one electorate north of you (Lytton) which includes the Wynnum/Manly area (as well as the Mud, ST Helena and Green Is, not that there's many voters there, but I have noticed a few fish about). I haven't seen anything about TFPQ around here (I'll admit I havent been into Water Tower Bait & Tackle for a few weeks). The only way I know about the issue at all is from this website.
    I am however an active member of a major political party and I am personnally very cogniscent of avoiding abusing this website for political issues, but when it comes to fishing issues and where they cross over with politics, sometimes you just need to call a spade a spade. So here goes:

I personally know our local candidate and have 'gotten in her ear' about fishing issues. (Her? that gives away the party allegiance doesnt it! There's only 1 female candidate in Lytton, so I guess I can stop beating around the bush, Amanda Wiklund, Liberal) She is now, as well aware of the issues as I can make her, and she has been asking the Liberal Party HQ repeatedly for a formal policy statement/media release. I know that her counterpart in Cleveland, Andrew Trim, has been talking at length with TFPQ and Shane and between the Amanda and Andrew, I suspect the pressure they both brought to bear on Coalition HQ was, at least in part, responsible for the Coalition media release on Sat.
    Amanda has openly stated her support for sustainable management of and access to the fishery, rather than closures.

I have personally spoken to the Greens Candidate here in Lytton and he was openly advocating large scale closures of Moreton Bay AND closing beaches to 4WD traffic. He wants to have only buses with trailers on the beaches. When I challenged him that it was impractical for me and my family of 5 to carry gear for a camping/fishing holiday on a bus, he had no response, didnt even try to offer an alternative. When I put the premise to him that closures were a cop out by those who were not prepared to make the effort to manage an issue, again he had no response. I pressed him for a few more issues and he just packed up and moved on, he had no answers. (We did agree to some extent on the Dams issue though)

I would like the opportunity to speak to the Labor Candidate in Lytton but he seems to be too busy with the state level campaign and is nowhere to be seen (other than his corflutes) around the electorate. I guess that shouldnt surprise me he hasnt been available to his constituents for the past few years, why should that change now. Anyway I digress, on that basis I'd have to make an assessment on the Labor Party line. Since Beattie did the side-step down at Wello Pt two weeks ago and given the history of preference/vote deals between the greens and Labor, I wouldnt trust them an inch on this issue.

You all, can call me biased if you want, I have declared my party loyalty above, but in my opinion if you live in Lytton and you fish there is only one choice:

Amanda Wiklund, Liberal.

(And if she gets in, I will ensure this issue stays in the forefront of her mind)

DaveSue_Fishos_Two

Without meaning any offence, I think it is a shame that Shane is not more appropriately attired. You can shoot me down and you can say what you like, but people do definitely like someone to 'look the part'.

Just my opinion

Dave

Guys,
    One other point I meant to make above.
    Talk to your local candidates, face to face if you can, or on the phone or email if you cant. Let them know your position on this issue and ask them theirs. That way you can make your own assessment in your electorate. If your in a 'safe' seat (of either persuasion) then its even more important to let them know your opinion. If your in a swinging seat then be a bit more coy and seek their opinions first before you declare your hand.
    Either way, this election campaign is THE BEST chance we have of bringing this issue to the forefront of the public and the political agenda, don't waste it. get out there and let them know its an issue IN YOUR ELECTORATE.

Quote Originally Posted by Reel Nauti
    Without meaning any offence, I think it is a shame that Shane is not more appropriately attired. You can shoot me down and you can say what you like, but people do definitely like someone to 'look the part'.

Just my opinion

Dave
    So which one is Shane Boese? Is he the one with the blue Tshirt and shorts? or the one in the other photo with the Fishing Party Polo shirt on? If he's the one with the Fishing Party shirt on - then I think that he is "appropriately attired". I dont think we expect a fishing party representative to wear a suit. Do we?? Now on the other hand if its the guy with the shorts and tshirt - then reel nauti has a point.

Shirl

David_P

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu
    [quote author=Reel Nauti link=1155715416/30#36 date=1156848279]Without meaning any offence, I think it is a shame that Shane is not more appropriately attired. You can shoot me down and you can say what you like, but people do definitely like someone to 'look the part'.

Just my opinion

Dave
    So which one is Shane Boese? Is he the one with the blue Tshirt and shorts? or the one in the other photo with the Fishing Party Polo shirt on? If he's the one with the Fishing Party shirt on - then I think that he is "appropriately attired". I dont think we expect a fishing party representative to wear a suit. Do we?? Now on the other hand if its the guy with the shorts and tshirt - then reel nauti has a point.

Shirl[/quote]

Hi Shirl,

Yes, Shane is the one in TFPQ polo shirt and I agree with you that he is more than adequately attired. Just because someone wears a suit, or tie doesn't mean they are not full of the proverbial. Just listen to the regular pollies on both sides of parliament

Regards,
    Dave.

A busy time at the Qld Fishing Party stand at the Brisbane International Boat Show, Thursday 31st.

& I look forward to manning the TFPQ stand at the boatshow on Saturday & Sunday Morning.

I'll be the one in the Fishing party polo & the bald scone (@ least I have something in common with John Howard)

If I was wearing my "preferred fishing atire", you would smell me before you saw me"........I might not look really flash but sh*%^ I can catch fish

KC

Thats exactly what we need Mr KC, is real people representing real people. Not some polished suit pushing some artificial and hyped up agenda. I tell you what smells fishy, is Premier Beatties promises, thats what smells fishy! and I'll tell you another thing that smells fishy is those people who pretend to offer support but are really trying to tear you down, that smells fishy too.

I have been a guest on here for a long time and I only just found out how to put my name in, actally my son showed me how. But now that I am here, finally lets tell Mr Beattie he smells, something is off in his office and I think its him, Its time to throw out the trash.

Shirl

Well I joined TFPQ on Friday at the Boatshow and then walked around the Gold Coast Show wearing my Fishing Party Cap.
    Wouldn't you know it the Libs and Labor had their own stands
    Well that became interesting, first up Liberals and I told them that this election the issue for me was fishing in Moreton bay and in a wider sense the concern I have about radical green views having disproportional power over government policies.
    Well the Libs were quite cordial but the discussion didn't get much further.

Next the Labor stand, here the chap with the mouth (sorry but thats the only description I have) immediately picked up the logo on the cap and started talking wildly. I once again aired my concerns but this time the response was a bit more aloof a bit like "you've made up your mind so bugger off..." well I'm well and truly a swing voter I pointed out and there is no TFPQ candidate in my seat (Broadwater) but it is a key seat for Labor...
    By this time the chap in the suit started talking so I asked him to introduce himself, Senator Joe Ludwig federal shadow minister for Justice and customs.
    Well that was like a lamb to slaughter
    I told him what I thought about the greens influence in shutting down the GBR and his response was a bit airy so to speak, so I asked him if he actually knew about the issue at all or I think I said something like.. do you know what you are talking about. Well I'll be buggered but he responded that he did not actually but he would look into the #issue when he got back to his office.

Anyway, I'd just like to encourage people to talk to their representatives and send emails when they have a chance. Imagine if 50 people had come up to them at the show with the same concern!! We do make a difference by being a vocal group.
    Sorry about the long post I tried to abbreviate...

I'm a true swing voter but have supported Beattie for the last few elections, this time I think that I'll do the swing. I was certainly not impressed by the attitude I met at the Labor stand although the local representative is probably the hardest working politician I've seen so she has a lot of street cred.

Good luck to TFPQ and in particular in Cleveland. #

S.S.

Checked the long range forecast and it looks as though the weather won't be great for fishing on the weekend. Will be supporting Shane and handing out how to vote cards on election day. Looking forward to the experience and meeting some Ausfishers as well