Thread: 1770 Marina ' seepage '. update

1770 Marina ' seepage '. update

It has been a long process, but I am getting results. Not the results I would have hoped for, but at least I get responses and information from the Miriam Vale Shire Council about this problem.

I am unable to reproduce the report here due to copyright laws, but I will outline jist of it.

Council and EPA have conducted tests etc. The EPA had one fuel tank sealed off due to the leak. The EPA have injected a dye to attempt to track any further leakage.

What they have not done is stop the seepage or stop the operators from selling fuel from both tanks.

Here is MY response to the last corrospondence from the Council.

Thank you for your reply in regard to my enquiry about the ' seepage ' at the 1770 Marina.

I have read the report and would now like to clarify some points.

The report says the seepage appears to be diminishing, although it is expected to continue.

My question would be, why is there not something done about this seepage now. Some sort of containment must be installed to protect the localised environment against the Hydrocarbons that have been detected in this ' seepage ".

The report goes on to say that " One suspect tank was subsequently sealed off ". The operators are utilizing BOTH tanks.

I see many problems here. The Marina Operators are selling fuel from both tanks, one tank is leaking and the seepage continues. On the surface, nothing seems to have been done to stop the seepage. I acknowledge the work of the Council and the EPA, but more is needed to protect the foreshore and marine animals from the dangerous Hydrocarbons being filtered into the surrounding system. To simply offer a dye to track the leak is not good enough. The seepage must be stopped, or at the very minimum ' controlled and contained ".

Myself and the 1770 / Agnes Water community would like assurances from the Council that all commercial activity and development at the 1770 Marina site, has had stringent council approvals and all building applications and licences are in place.

Regards

Phill Kliese

The fight continues.

Cheers Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

DaveSue_Fishos_Two

Re: 1770 Marina ' seepage '. update

Good one Phil! I an honestly say that this has been going on for a number of years. I used to frequent Round Hill, numerous times a year since 1971. We haven't managed to get there as often as we would have liked for the past 3 years, but still manage at least once or twice a year. The seepage has been evident, both by sight and smell for a good while. If you wish to put my name as a reference on any of your correspondence I would be happy for you to do so.

Hope to meet you this weekend at Hummock Hill!

Cheers
    David Weir
    104 Rickart Street
    Nth Rockhampton 4701

Re: 1770 Marina ' seepage '. update

Thanks for the update Phill. I'm sure that everybody appreciates the hard work you've been putting in to this.

From your previous reports on this matter, does the operator have a bit of clout around the place? Seem strange that the operator is allowed to sell fuel, even though 2 regulatory bodies have identified that there's a problem.

Keep up the good work. People like this should be forced to stop operating until the problem is rectified. Seems to me that the Council and the EPA seem to be taking a softly softly approach.

TOL