Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AMCS post objecting to our rally

Re: AMCS post objecting to our rally

Well again we have some peanut who tries bring in something totally irrelevant to try to shore up his own BS issues. Isn't it funny how the scumbag minorities come out and issue public statements expressing disappointment when another group stages a protest that it, to say the least, spectacular and responsible in the way it is conducted.

They are really clutching at straws making a link between the issues here and the slaughter of the seals. Like I have said in another post, they would have people belive that we go fishing in naval destroyers rolling depth charges off the stern as we go.

I wonder what sort of grasp on reality Mr Bohm has - or doesn't have??

Horny

Live every day as if it's your last - for one day you're sure to be right!

Looks like someone out there has taken a real disliking to the AMCS web site

imported_admin

Change their tune a bit

Sept 2
    AMCS Media
    MEDIA RELEASE
    2 September 2006
    Conservationists disappointed in anti-marine park rally
    The Australian Marine Conservation Society expressed disappointment at a rally being held today in protest of the rezoning of Moreton Bay Marine Park.

Craig Bohm, National Fisheries Campaigner with the Australian Marine Conservation Society said, “All Australians would be appalled by the slaughter of 40 protected fur seals in Bass Strait this week. The Australian Government should finally ban guns on boats and stop this senseless killing of our protected marine life.”

Craig Bohm, spokesperson for the Australian Marine Conservation Society said, “Moreton Bay is Brisbane’s aquatic playground and is there for us all. It is important that we continue to access and enjoy all of Moreton Bay’s natural assets. The 10 year review of Moreton Bay Marine Park offers us an exiting opportunity to ensure our collective uses don’t threaten the Bay’s long term health and productivity.”

“Unfortunately, the rally organisers, whoever they are, have not take the time to really consider the future health of Moreton Bay, and this is most disappointing,” Bohm said.

“The reality is, the Bay is under threat from too many competing interests and impacts. On average 200 turtles and 15 dugongs die each year in Moreton Bay from human activities. Increasing population pressure, the drought and pollution are also taking their toll,” Bohm said.

Bohm continued, “Less than 1% of Moreton Bay Marine Park is fully protected and most agree that this is not enough. The Institute of Marine Science (AIMS) recently announced that in less than 2 years after the rezoning of the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park, some fish species are already 60% more abundant in the fully protected ‘green zones’ than in fished areas. The fully protected green zones are clearly working on the Great Barrier Reef and can also offer Moreton Bay great benefits to its marine life and its productivity.”

“This is why the Australian Marine Conservation Society is calling on the Queensland Government to establish a scientific taskforce to advise on what protection Moreton Bay needs,” Bohm said.

“The taskforce should also tell us which habitats in what areas need protection. Many of those areas are likely to be critical fish nurseries and critical habitats of threatened species. It is time to stop rallying and take collective action to protect the economic, social and environmental benefits Moreton Bay offers us all,” Bohm concluded.

For more information contact Craig Bohm on 0427 133 481 or 3393 5811
    Today

AMCS Media
    MEDIA RELEASE
    2 September 2006
    Conservationists disappointed in anti-marine park rally
    The Australian Marine Conservation Society expressed disappointment at a rally being held today in protest of the rezoning of Moreton Bay Marine Park.

Craig Bohm, spokesperson for the Australian Marine Conservation Society said, “Moreton Bay is Brisbane’s aquatic playground and is there for us all. It is important that we continue to access and enjoy all of Moreton Bay’s natural assets. The 10 year review of Moreton Bay Marine Park offers us an exiting opportunity to ensure our collective uses don’t threaten the Bay’s long term health and productivity.”

“Unfortunately, the rally organisers, whoever they are, have not take the time to really consider the future health of Moreton Bay, and this is most disappointing,” Bohm said.

“The reality is, the Bay is under threat from too many competing interests and impacts. On average 200 turtles and 15 dugongs die each year in Moreton Bay from human activities. Increasing population pressure, the drought and pollution are also taking their toll,” Bohm said.

Bohm continued, “Less than 1% of Moreton Bay Marine Park is fully protected and most agree that this is not enough. The Institute of Marine Science (AIMS) recently announced that in less than 2 years after the rezoning of the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park, some fish species are already 60% more abundant in the fully protected ‘green zones’ than in fished areas. The fully protected green zones are clearly working on the Great Barrier Reef and can also offer Moreton Bay great benefits to its marine life and its productivity.”

“This is why the Australian Marine Conservation Society is calling on the Queensland Government to establish a scientific taskforce to advise on what protection Moreton Bay needs,” Bohm said.

“The taskforce should also tell us which habitats in what areas need protection. Many of those areas are likely to be critical fish nurseries and critical habitats of threatened species. It is time to stop rallying and take collective action to protect the economic, social and environmental benefits Moreton Bay offers us all,” Bohm concluded.

For more information contact Craig Bohm on 0427 133 481 or 3393 5811

Well he likes to walk the talk, but what a lot of rubbish.

Sounds like he doesn't like any opinion that does not agree with his current thinking.

Well Mr Bohm the people fishing and using the bay for leisure have been around a lot longer on the water, and better understand the system.

Qualifications are great but you need to take the blinkers off and see what the bay is used for.

Yeah, lock it up, chuck em out, concentrate them in a smaller area and then we can claim "Look at the damage all those people are doing in this small area."

Consultation and science base of full consultation, with input from all users and then we might believe that he has the Bay at heart.
    At the moment he seems to like the attention that he is getting.

Poor soul, really feel sorry for him, all his qualifications??? and no one taking his word as gospel.

Regards Trev
    Fish for the future, enjoy the present but think of your children.

DaveSue_Fishos_Two

I emailed Craig Bohm about my concerns and he has taken the time to reply. I have written back to him, and asked for his permission to post his communications for all to read. Will let you know what he says.

Cheers
    Dave

It is interesting to note how he describes the organisers of the rally "whoever they are" like they are some anonomous band of outlaws and that only HE has the full picture. I have asked to receive their e-mail updates and I urge all others to do the same so that we can then question them from their own interest groups.

Cheers,

PS: I will be posting whatever I hear as well of course to alert everyone. They no doubt, have their stooges on this website as well.
    Horny

Live every day as if it's your last - for one day you're sure to be right!

DaveSue_Fishos_Two

Craig Bohm has given me permission to post up the emails I have received from him. I just have to work out now how to do it.

Dave

Just do a select all, copy and then paste into your normal message.

DaveSue_Fishos_Two

To: "'Sue McGuiness'" <usweirs@bigpond.com>
    Subject: RE: Moreton Bay
    Date: Friday, 8 September 2006 3:40 PM

No problems, David. This if public information if you choose to make it so.

I have been known to wear towelling and have a long family history of
    fishing and spearfishing. My grandmother could cast, haul, land and rebait
    for whiting with a fag in her mouth without dropping the ash once (chain
    smoker). We use to sit in the boat staring at her and the ash which at times
    beat the fishing.

Scientific data - yes we need to find what we can. I think we are missing
    many basic data sets for Moreton Bay fish species and alot of data has only
    begun to be collected in the last decade or so. I am desperately concerned
    about Shifting Baselines - long term trends that are masked by poor
    information and poor memories.

I find the latest DPI State of the Fisheries Report very difficult to read,
    not specific regionally and open to very wide interpretation. We clearly
    must do better but also should apply the rule that the less we know the more
    precautionary we need to be with our exploitation rates. A bit like an
    insurance policy I suppose.

Anyway, we will have to do the best with what we have. Some decisions from
    the rezoning process wont be clear and obvious and will be highly
    politicised - unfortunately. The best we can do is focus on discussing how
    we ensure the health and productivity of the Bay is maintained, and where
    possible enhanced, and constructive outcomes may be found. AND, as my old
    man says, we should play the ball not the man.

Kind regards

Craig Bohm, Australian Marine Conservation Society

#_____ #

Sent: Friday, 8 September 2006 3:23 PM
    To: Craig Bohm
    Subject: Re: Moreton Bay

Thank you for your reply Craig

It is not just public access that really concerns me, it is closures to
    fishing which are not based on 'factual' evidence. 'Scientific' studies have
    a proven history of flawed assessments, the recent closures of parts of GBR
    are in itself testimony to that. If a study is to be real, genuine, honest
    and as accurate as possible, then I believe fishermen should be brought
    right into the assessment process. Size of catches, numbers, species, moon
    phases, season, etc etc etc. They are the ones who are frequenting the
    habitat, look after it, and know more about it's content than a few so
    called 'experts' called in to have a quick look at things. Sustainable
    marine habitats are supported by all, fishermen included, but it should not
    automatically be to their exclusion. We were taught how to fish by our
    forefathers and their forefathers, don't you think we want a sustainable
    environment for our children and their children? Some of us might wear
    towelling hats, some of us #might stink of bait, and some of us might enjoy
    a beer with our friends, but we are not fools or careless 'vandals' who
    don't care about the future of the bay.

Consider us please, and with the respect that we deserve.

Cheers and thank you

David Weir
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: usweirs@bigpond.com
    Cc: 'Craig Bohm' <mailto:craigbohm@amcs.org.au> #
    Sent: Friday, September 08, 2006 1:50 PM
    Subject: RE: Moreton Bay

Hi David

Thanks for your email.

I support your call for actual facts, hence our call for a scientific
    committee to lead the review of Moreton Bay Marine Park.

You may want to read more information on our website regarding our position
    on marine parks and public access. I'm sure you will find we actually have
    alot in common regarding the desire to maximise the health AND productivity
    of places like Moreton Bay.

Kind regards

Craig, AMCS

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Sunday, 3 September 2006 8:13 PM
    To: amcs@amcs.org.au
    Subject: Moreton Bay

With reference to the trivel Mr Bohm posted recently about Moreton May I
    submit to you my comment.

When you people start discussing actual facts and researching your subject
    thoroughly and legitimately, you may gain some credence. In the meantime,
    many of the public are wising up and looking for substantiated facts. This
    is what will, without doubt, bring your deception of so many to an end.

David Weir
    Rockhampton. Qld

(Thanks BB. As you would all be aware the bottom email is the first I sent.)

Cheers

Dave

i suspect mr bohm either doesn't know about the submission some of his peers have made to the national conservation parks enquiry or he is stretching the truth when uit comes to including fishermen in the consultation process, if you follow the link and wade through a fair bit of crap you will find a paragraph that states,\
    "Recommendation
    Fisheries managers require more finally tuned direction from fisheries policy
    makers about what sustainability targets they should achieve.
    Fisheries management committees must be restructured to reduce the
    number of fishers directly sitting on influential fisheries management
    committees."
    page six of the document i think
    further
    "1. Stakeholder consultation
    AMCS has been involved in the countless working groups, committees and
    workshops as part of the government process to deliver a CAR system of
    MPA in the southeast. For over 6 years, stakeholders have contributed
    significant time and resources into the process and have received little in
    return outside of the fishing sector and oil and gas industry. Stakeholders
    have been subjected to too many meeting with limited or no outcomes,
    impossible expectations and infeasible negotiations.
    A general lack of commitment and ongoing changes to timelines has
    resulted in stakeholder burn-out and frustration."
    are they not significant stakeholders?
    link follows
    184 Australian Marine Conservation Society (PDF 66KB)
    hope it works
    obviously the amcs has a hidden agenda of it's own
    regards
    graeme

Quote Originally Posted by Adamy
    [quote author=Ausfish link=1157260064/0#11 date=1157274860][quote author=Cheech link=1157260064/0#7 date=1157273774]

I was once told that there are lies, and there are damn lies, and then there are statistics.

Statistics show that 49.725% of all statistics are made up #

[/quote]
    I recently had this discussion with Gary Fooks - I thought it was 49.726% Now I'm confused [/quote]

Sorry to add levity to this discussion but given that the standard deviation for this statistic is 2.38, you could both be considered to be correct. #

Quote Originally Posted by charleville
    [quote author=Adamy link=1157260064/0#12 date=1157275240][quote author=Ausfish link=1157260064/0#11 date=1157274860][quote author=Cheech link=1157260064/0#7 date=1157273774]

I was once told that there are lies, and there are damn lies, and then there are statistics.

Statistics show that 49.725% of all statistics are made up

[/quote]
    I recently had this discussion with Gary Fooks - I thought it was 49.726% Now I'm confused [/quote]

Sorry to add levity to this discussion but given that the standard deviation for this statistic is 2.38, you could both be considered to be correct.
    [/quote]

Ah Bruce... thats levity that only a statistician would get...... loved it!! For those who are saying... what the...?? I run Business Statics course at GoldCoast campus of Griffith Uni... be happy to explain.

sorry not trying to insult anyone else here... I wouldnt have got it either if not for bus stats.