Thread: Artificial Reefs closures

Artificial Reefs closures

Hi all, just been reading some of the posts and a thought came to mind. I do not know myself but have come accross people who have helped with the creation of artificial reef/bommies in a lot of the areas that are now being fought over in respect of closures. I understand that these things were created to enhanse habitat for more fish. Are any of these areas subject to the closures being discussed. Seems a little unfair to close something man made. I think there should be more artificial reefs created if the buggers want to keep us off the natural ones but I suppose people have also been trying to get this happening in the past also.

Re: Artificial Reefs closures

Hi Reef Fisher,

I know that the Bundaberg Artificial is safe at the moment, but
    the major land based reef/rock fishing areas of Bundy region
    have been closed. Bundaberg and Burnett councils have now
    called for a moratorium on Great Sandy Straights Green zones.

Following the GBR closures, there was a push to have areas
    in the GBR MP set aside for the development of artificials, but
    it does not seem to have got of the ground.

cheers Mick

cheers for the reply mick. Trouble these days, trams old buses and tyres are not suitable for making of reefs, despite the fact that most of the older reefs are made of exactly that and are thriving. Just got me thinking how anyone could justify closing a reef that is not natural if these tree huggers are so concerned about nature/native habitat. cheers andy.

Derek_Bullock

Guys

There would be nothing stopping the AMCS and other conservation groups from pushing on closures of the artificial reefs in Moreton Bay as part of the review coming up.

Derek

Bugger em, they dont want anyone to make artificial reefs because they rekon it damages the environment. we know it helps. damn hippies want it both ways.

hi madmix
    the reef is safe but the last barge taken out to elliot heads the goverment wanted $5000 to drop it down there .barge was free people supplied there own time to work on it . supplied boats to tow it and drop it off. now the goverment wants them to pay to drop off anything at the reef when everything done is voluntary and all the things dropped off are supplied for free. just another way of the goverment getting a dollar

cheers
    mal