Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Moreton Bay Closures - what's happening?

Re: Moreton Bay Closures - what's happening?

Why would anyone believe what the libs/nats have to say? Look at what that little toad in canberra has done to us over the years. And remember that after little johnny has gone we then get pete the cheat, would you trust him..............I WOULDNT. I have never been political until now. Like most ppl I went and voted every couple of years for which ever yahoo was running and didnt think much about it. I have always been a labor voter because back in the day they where actually suppose to be the voice of the working class. What happened to them. But I digress of the topic.

We have to get past all the rheteric(if that is how you spell it) and start working together. Not everyone is going to agree with 100% of what TFP is saying or what Adam is trying to get across, after reading a lot of his posts I have found him a very passionate and thoughtful person who just wants to help us. I am at the moment tending to agree with the TFP because they havent become pollies yet, they are committed fisho's that want to fight to keep our rights alive. There is a quote that I like and seems to fit in well at the moment, "Man has only those rights that he can defend" it might not be PC but it does sum up the way I feel.

I cant see TFP ever becoming a party that could take power in QLD, but maybe that is a good thing. They can concentrate of looking after our rights and pushing the greenies further out of the power bargaining extremists that they have become.

I am not a member of TFP so I am not pushing their agenda because I am part of the party. To me it just makes sense. And maybe they can help us to keep OUR rights. As another ozzie said when he formed another political party was, he was there to help keep the bastards honest.

Kel

Just a quick touch on Tunamans comments. It is not just the lock-outs which are the problem. It is the specific areas targeted and even more importantly the enourmous multi-media PR campaign which goes hand in glove with the rezoning.

While really only having the GBR rezoning to use as a benchmark (just as the green lobby are using the GBR rezoning as a benchmark)

* TV/Radio/Print media campign aimed at convicing the general public. Particularly the Non Fishing public that the sky is falling and it is all the fault of the dirty rotten fisherman.
    * Teach our kids that fishing is bad for the environment.
    * Make us feel guilty because we like to go fishing
    * Lots of publicity (public shaming) of anyone caught breaching the laws (regardless of honest mistakes) & the criminality of the breaches (A breach of a GBR zoning law results in a court case and mandatory criminal conviction as well as a substantial fine.....all for what should really be a "parking ticket").

These factors combine to produce up to a 42% drop out rate in participation in recreational fishing (Qld DPI figures).

Fishing along the GBR coast has become more of a stress than a relaxation. That is what is looking over your shoulder in Moreton Bay.

All this could be avoided with management regimes which specifically target any overfishing or even potential overfishing issues.

1. Identify the fisheries issues and species health/breeding dynamics and sustainable harvest.
    2. Adjust recreational harvest to sustainable levels using accepted norms such as bag limits, slot sizing and closed spawning seasons Where NEEDED.
    3. Remove any unsustainable fishing activities......and clearly we have problems with inshore beam & otterboard trawl as a potential flashpoint.
    4. Provide TAC quotas on all commercial fisheries, again based on sustainablity.

DON'T JUST LOCK US OUT & THROW AWAY THE KEY.

That is not "management" it is exclusionism..they are our parks too, not just the greens.

KC

I'd just really like to appeal to EVERYONE who has a concern to write or e-mail their local state member and tell them where their vote will be going unless assurances are given. It's a great time to strike when their futures are in the balance.

Hi Hicksy,

Sorry to say that Labour have not committed to anything, just because
    they have conveniently released a statement.
    Remember Paul Keatings, L.A.W. Law, Fiasco.

Cheers Mick

Quote Originally Posted by tunaman
    Addam Australia is a island, we are surounded by water. You are trying to tell me, that shutting down 1/10 in your area, and the one area
    is only 50% shut down, this is going to affect your fishing?
    Well can see your not happy about it , but who is.

signed tunaman
    Ditto to everything KC said in regards to Tunamans comment. However just to answer Tunaman in real simple terms... I dont know about you tunaman - but I have trouble accessing parts of port phillip bay, the great Australian Bight, the kimberleys and pretty much anywhere else I want to fish- thats not within an hours drive - I USED to be able to go to Hervey Bay... but not going there anymore - I wouldnt know where I can or cant fish. So your argument about Australia being an island and I can fish anywhere I like - doesnt make any real sense... or maybe I'm just slow - can you please explain in basic terms - really slowly... how I am supposed to get back from work (in Brisbane) - be in the water an hour after - Darwin Harbor is my chosen destination for this trip and be back in bed before midnight with a couple of keepers in the fridge?? Yep maybe I'm slow - but I cant see how it can be done - or maybe your boat has a rocket Tunaman??

Would love to tow my boat up to the GBR... but 80% of the good fishing areas are now closed. Did you hear how they nominated the closure areas? They asked the recs and the pros where they fished "just so we dont close those areas down" so the pros handed over detailed log books... guess which areas they closed???

It looks like tunaman believes in the 'spillover effect' which still has yet to be proven. Even the extreme greens don't believe in it. In one of their submissions for the Port Stevens Marine Park (not satisfied with locking away many of our prime fishing spots) they are already eyeing off the remaining areas. Their justification more more closures is that the displaced fishing effort from the sanctuary zones might lead to overfishing in the areas still open! So there you have it in their own words.

Also it is their stated aim to lock anglers out of 50% of coastal waters (NCC policy). As anyone who has been affected by these parks knows that 50% sanctuary zones equates to 80-100% of worthwhile fishing locations. #

Well thought out and well said Billfisher... its a matter of give an inch and take a mile... shouldnt have ever let them take that first inch

Quote Originally Posted by Got_the_Fever

We have to get past all the rheteric(if that is how you spell it) and start working together. Not everyone is going to agree with 100% of what TFP is saying or what Adam is trying to get across, after reading a lot of his posts I have found him a very passionate and thoughtful person who just wants to help us. I am at the moment tending to agree with the TFP because they havent become pollies yet, they are committed fisho's that want to fight to keep our rights alive. There is a quote that I like and seems to fit in well at the moment, "Man has only those rights that he can defend" it might not be PC but it does sum up the way I feel.

I cant see TFP ever becoming a party that could take power in QLD, but maybe that is a good thing. They can concentrate of looking after our rights and pushing the greenies further out of the power bargaining extremists that they have become.

I am not a member of TFP so I am not pushing their agenda because I am part of the party. To me it just makes sense. And maybe they can help us to keep OUR rights. As another ozzie said when he formed another political party was, he was there to help keep the bastards honest.

Kel
    Thanks for the support Kel!! and by the way... the day that TFPQ becomes typical pollies is the day they wont get my support any more either. If they ever get funding... which comes by getting a member elected and start to employ real political strategists etc (and dont need me - I'm strictly volunteer) if those guys arent died in the wool fishos - then I'm out too. I dont want to be a pollie and I know the guys in the party dont want to be pollies either... but this is a fight we have been forced into - and we cant afford to let it slide. Keep your eye out for some events we have planned... cant say anything yet - just keep Sept 2nd free (its a no fishing day) - hope to have everyone there. (even tunaman )

I dont think I have anything on for that day, unless the dr wants to poke, prob and drain me some more.

Kel

Hi Kel,
    Just bring the Doc with you.

Not sure if I,ll be in Brisvegas about the 2nd, but will
    listen out just in case.

cheers Mick

I keep trying to bribe my dr. Keep telling him if he can stop all the damn pain I will take him fishing and actually bring him back. Other wise I will take him out but maybe forget to bring him back.

Kel [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Good work Kel

It was only an apinion to what I think is a fair thing, in the hope, that the people, that make these changes, see our anger in the currant way
    they are doing things. I heard, that the polly,s and the greens, etc
    read these posts, with very keen interest, and they also know how
    much money fisherpeople put into the system. When they put out
    in the news, that they are going close down or change some, they are
    simply testing us to see how much of a stink we are going to kick up. They know we are an important element. I hope. for a lot of reasons.
    Like I said befour, we all need to pull together, and raise our dislikes,
    in the name of fairness, and if we dont, they will think we are happy
    with what they are about to do. I have never seen or heard of any
    protests in the name of fishing, like others have done for their causes,
    and I mean big rallies, that hit the front pages, and seen on the news.
    Why cant we hook up our boats , and pick up every fisherman we can find, and block a complete hi way for as far as the eye can see. Can this be done, or Iam I off the track, and should #stay out of , what dont understand. I wont take any offence to your replys.
    Surely they cant shut down every fishing spot, they,ed be cutting their
    own necks. If they make it so, and people start walking away from
    fishing, a lot of people will be out of bizness, they must see that.

tunaman

Tunaman the idea of hooking up the boats and having a protest rally is a good one, but acutally using them to block a highway would bring the boys in blue down on everyone as if it was the wrath of god and would put the general public against us for the inconvience that it would cause. Having the protests in the media would amplify what is happening and put the pollies on the spot.

Kel

Quote Originally Posted by Reel Nauti
    Pinhead, Is that the same Bill Ludwig (spelling?) who is Mayor of Livingstone Shire? That is local govt. When was he an MLA?

Dave
    Bill Ludwig is the president of the AWU and Qld branch Secretary..a very powerful man in the Labor movement...one of the chief puppeteers in the Qld Labor movement.

I like Tunamans idea of a trailer boat convoy, but not blocking a highway.
    If we got enough people together to do it (maybe with pro fishing placards on the boats) it would make the news. I am pretty sure if it was big enough politicians, being interested in self preservation, would see potential votes rolling past in their cars and trailers. It would be a massive logistical challenge getting lots of cars and trailers together for just such an event, but if somebody is ready to make a date (it will have to be soon) and a rendezvous point (I reckon a long stretch of quiet road, maybe out near Pinkenba, we could park nose to tail until we are ready to roll) and we could drive somewhere that will give us maximum exposure without breaking the law.
    Another thought, we could get a fleet of boats to drive up the river with placards. If we got enough boats involved we would be sure to get on the news, and it might be fun too! We could have the fleet go up the river through the city and west end.
    Any takers??
    Cheers,
    Lunatic.
    "Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore." -- André Gide