Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Moreton Bay Closures - what's happening?

Re: Moreton Bay Closures - what's happening?

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead
    [quote author=Gary Fooks link=1155192328/45#56 date=1155673971]Adam

I appreciate your explanation of the parliamentary process

But as Moreton Bay is already a Marine Park, due for a 10 year review. Then is it possible that the drastic changes will simply go through cabinet and be tabled in the House. IE no debate?

In other words we will lose Moreton bay by regulation not legislation?

Look fwd to your thoughts.

Gary
    Gary...As the current Marine Parks (Moreton Bay) Zoning Plan 1997 is under the Marine Parks Act of 1982 then hopefully any changes will have to be debated on the floor of the House.[/quote]

Yes Gary after I had posted that I was thinking exactly the same thought - the rezoning isnt legislation - so the process is slightly different... have to do our homework and find out.... I think Pinhead might be right - but the voting part I'm unsure of.... will ask!

My main aim with the comment re process was to get the post back on track.... fully realising that TQFP isnt a registered party at the state level as Pinhead has pointed out - they are still the best forum to recommend policy changes at the govt level (in my opinion) because they are the only political body who stand to gain legitimacy in the Govts eyes. Without legitimacy you have no voice.

The only way to do this is to get right behind them - if you cant vote for them - volunteer some time to hand out how to votes at election time - spread the word anyway you can - preferably outside this forum... we already know this issue - get it out the amongst other fishos and boaties. Contact Shane Boese and his team and ask how you CAN help... I'm sure he would love a hand.

But the main thing... lets stop fighting amongst ourselves and do something real!

Adam

Greg makes the point that the (now) 4 The Fishing Party (Qld) endorsed candidates in the state election will appear on the actual Ballot paper with the code IND and this makes our job more difficult. We have to ensure all booths are manned, all voters talked to, and How To Vote cards clearly identifying who to vote for. Name recognition will also be important.

He also makes a good point about checking the intention of local cadidates in regards the rezoning of the Bay.

By tommorrow I will draft, on TFPQ letterhead, a questionaire. Bombard your candidates with it. At least they will know we are watching over their sholders.

email me personally on kc@whitsunday.net.au & I will provide you with a pro-forma questionaire for your electorate. For the purpose of specifics this really should only be used in Bayside seats.

Greg is right in suggesting we can't make the type of impact which we ideally would have liked....BUT.

We make a huge impact in the one bayside seat we run in AND make sure every Bayside candidate gets a swag of member letters asking their intentions and they will get the message.

Read again Adams overview. He puts it better than me. This is about politics, not about fishing, not about environmental outcomes and definately not about what is fair, just or right.

KC

Hi all here is an e-mail that I received from Mr lawrence Springborgs office today concerning the moreton bay closures lets read an weep but lets send the message home

9 August 2006

Moreton Bay fishing ban feared

The Queensland Coalition fear recreational fishing will be banned in half of Moreton Bay if the Beattie Labor Government is re-elected at the next State Election.

Conservation groups have launched a campaign to have “at least 30 – 50% of Moreton Bay within reserves (protected areas closed to all extractive activities)”.

In State Parliament this week, Shadow Fisheries Minister Mike Horan asked the Environment Minister Desley Boyle to give a guarantee the Beattie Labor Government would not close half of Moreton Bay to fishers.

“The Minister refused to give that guarantee, saying only that the State Government would start a review of the marine park in 2007 to be completed by 2008,” Mr Horan said.

“With Labor currently trying to elicit preferences from extreme green elements ahead of the next State Election, this is a dangerous time for recreational fishers who are rightly suspicious of what Labor’s plans are for the future of Moreton Bay.

“Locking up half of Moreton Bay would anger a lot of people, with a 2001 State Government recreational fishing survey finding almost half a million South-East Queenslanders went fishing at least once a year.

“The Beattie Labor Government has a track record of introducing fishing closures with only token consultation, and has a track record of shutting down fishing in Moreton Bay, with bans in four key areas introduced in 2003 allegedly to protect sharks.

“Farmers, timber workers and horse riders have borne the burnt of Labor’s environmental extremism in the past, but now it seems it is the mums, dads and kids who just want to go fishing in Moreton Bay who will be affected.”

Media Contact – Scott Whitby 07 3406 7430 or 0402 109 549

Cheers
    Steve

DaveSue_Fishos_Two

So for those of us that can't vote for TFPQ but don't want any more closures etc, are we supposed to vote for the bloody opposition. Would we be better off fishing wise? Yeah probably. Would we be better off in every other aspect of our lives.................I'm not so sure about that. Until the opposition can prove themselves with sound policies, strength in unification etc etc, I honestly don't see them as a sound alternative. So what do we do?.............Like I said in another thread, I really believe Qld's are shafted this time.

Dave

Reel Nauti,

I agree with your comments in regards to the opposition; they are not a sound alternative.

If a miracle occurs they still can't decide who is going to be leader. If Libs win more seat then the Nats will Sprinborg still be leader?????????

Will the LIbs be concerned about Moreton BAy?

There are just too many question marks for it to be viable!

So whats the alternative?? Better the devil you know?? OK... so now you KNOW your'e going to lose your Bay fishing rights. So.. LIVE WITH IT!!

OR...

IF you feel you have to vote for premier pete and his band of bay closure cronies.... Make sure Labor doesnt get your primary vote, make them fight for it through preferences... that will send a very small message (but as long as they win even by one vote - they dont care) but in the meantime get behind the Fishing Party add your voice to theirs - in the coming weeks they may be asking for your support - there will be something you CAN do to send the Govt a message.

Dont get resigned and sit in the corner felling sorry for yourselves - get up and go do something!! Right now this is a political battle - so do something political... the Fishing Party is currently our best avenue - lets give them all the support we can.

Quote Originally Posted by hicksy
    Reel Nauti,

I agree with your comments in regards to the opposition; they are not a sound alternative.

If a miracle occurs they still can't decide who is going to be leader. If Libs win more seat then the Nats will Sprinborg still be leader?????????

Will the LIbs be concerned about Moreton BAy?

There are just too many question marks for it to be viable!

After thought.... Dont worry the Libs and Nats know exactly whats going to happen if they win - they know who's going to be leader - even if the libs win more seats than the Nats... they just dont want to say it on TV and I respect them for that.

They are trying to quash speculation and not heighten it..... Its a pity that this small issue (leadership) is all the media can focus on when the whole state is going to crap around us. Why arent they hitting Beattie about his record on health?... dont you remember that once upon a time he was health minister..... The fish rots from the head down - or so they say.

Well I have been sitting back watching the posts. Seems a lot have missed the point. A vote for the opposition will not get them into power, but it will send a strong message to the governing body. If we can get a reasonable swing and attribute it to TFPQ we will gain some respectability. Health, education and police etc. will be with us forever. Areas locked up to the public could be permanent, this is TFPQ's chance to show their strength, you only have one chance and it's your choice. Vote against Labour and send a message to Beattie to let him know why.

Adam have you ever thought about running. You have a great deal of knowledge about palimentry procedure and a true gift with the words. I have listened to your suggestion and put the idea of rolling closures on hold for the moment. Im still working on it but more as a personal project than anything else at the moment.

I would think you would make a great candidate for the TFPQ.

Kel

Quote Originally Posted by Got_the_Fever
    Adam have you ever thought about running. You have a great deal of knowledge about palimentry procedure and a true gift with the words. I have listened to your suggestion and put the idea of rolling closures on hold for the moment. Im still working on it but more as a personal project than anything else at the moment.

I would think you would make a great candidate for the TFPQ.

Kel
    Thanks Kel!!! Been there done that.... and not at this time... I have however committed to them my assistance during this current campaign and I am going to become a member. Right now I think my efforts are best served "behind the scenes" I want to help TFPQ become a major party and not a novelty. To do this they just need a little help from those of us who have some experience in this field... Unfortunately politics is a dirty business and we have to play the game using the same rules as the big boys use - otherwise we risk going the way of all the other 'novelty parties'. I'm really impressed with the leadership of the party and I am pledging my support to them because I think it's the best option we have to make a difference.

Thanks for your vote of confidence tho Kel.... Hopefully we will be in a position sometime in the near future to develop yours (and other) proposals further and see if they make any sense both economically, politically and environmentally. At that time - the TFPQ can develop policy... till then we fight the good fight - to protect our rights!

Thanks,

Adam

DaveSue_Fishos_Two

Adam, I hope I didn't sound as though I was resigning myself to another term of the Beattie Govt, or to anything for that matter. But you've also got to be realistic.

TFPQ will probably only be fielding 3 or 4 candidates and it appears at this stage that they may not even be under the 'Fishing' banner. 3 or 4 out of how many seats??? I am not a defeatist, nor do I consider myself a pessimist, but I don't think this election is going to serve TFPQ justice. For those of us who can't vote for TFPQ, sure we can offer financial and ' in kind ' support, but the reality of the situation strongly indicates a return of Beattie.

If, by some pure stroke of chance the coalition takes the reins, I feel that Qld would suffer even further in some situations at the hands of rank amateurs who simply can't organise their own sh1t let alone run the state! (This may change in the future but certainly not in time for this election). I also believe that the majority of Qld's would not see a vote for the coalition as a vote for fishing rights, or a vote against closures of the Bay. It runs much, much deeper than that, and whilst I am sure there will be a protest vote against the govt, I can't see that it will defeat it.

I just hope that when the results are posted, and if the govt is returned, that nobody on this site takes it upon themselves to draw their canes against the backs of the members. This comment is not pointed in any particular direction, but mentioned in the hope that a return of the govt will be seen as a means for TFPQ to be even more prepared for the next election.

Cheers all
    Dave

Your points are well made Dave and be very clear we are not and never will be an alternative Government. 1 seat or 100 seats it does not matter. Our "job" is to combat the influence of the greens, who will also NOT WIN A SEAT.

The situation is clear cut. TFPQ will stand in one Bayside seat & 1 only. This seat will be a litnus test for the "fishing vote" in Brisbane. Post a big number, "we" get influence and credibility, fail and "we" have nothing the Government, either side, will fear.

Having "stuck out our chin" we can not afford to fail.

This really is "our" Franklin Dam. Either heros or zeros.

You are a realist dave. The bookies are too. Beattie is likely to win but he can not be allowed to win in a cakewalk. The Fishing party HAS to make its point in a way which can't be ignored and based on Boyle's press release today...we already are.

KC

KC

I have scaned all the different opions, and this party wonts this, and this party wonts that. Sure every ones points are good. But what about the big picture. The planet is in bad sharp,and theres no easy solution to any of it. #If you retrace the posts I made in the past, there are some good solutions to some of the problems that face us. and unless we
    all come together, and fight for our share of fairness, we have lost the fight before we have begun. But what is fairness? Some places have been shut down for a very good reason. the greenies see it, the polly,s
    see it, and if you see how much nature has been distroyed, and the pollution, thats growing every day, we have to slow down, and put up with a bit change. I dont like it any more than you do, but it has to be
    done. Beening one tracked minded, and looking at our own selfish
    needs, is one of the biggest problems, that all partys need to get over.
    A 1/10 of all fishing spots will be shut down, and for most of us , it will not even affect our fishing needs. But after we grow old and pass on, our children will pat us on the back, and say thanks for leaveing some for us. This is only my opion.

signed tunaman

Quote Originally Posted by tunaman
    A 1/10 of all fishing spots will be shut down, and for most of us , it will not even affect our fishing needs. But after we grow old and pass on, our children will pat us on the back, and say thanks for leaveing some for us. This is only my opion.

signed tunaman
    Dont worry about it Tunaman - our grandkids wont be patting us on the back and saying thanks... they'll be kicking us up the a@$# and asking how come they cant go fishing anymore cause the greens got the whole place shut down. Mate.. the greens arent saying.... lets leave some for later - they're saying... GET OUT NOW YOU DIRTY DISEASE RIDDEN MEAT EATING MAGGOTS..... AND NEVER - EVER - EVER COME BACK!!

Dont believe me?? - go to a site called fishinghurts.com Its got nothing to do with saving a few turtles and Sea moo moos - its got to do with their disdain for our way of life. They want you to stop eating ANY kind of meat.... period!! Today its the fish - because thats an easy target, tomorrow its your hamburger and the day after that you're eating grass!! Yup cant wait for my grandkids to pat me on the back for helping them into that one!

Quote Originally Posted by Reel Nauti
    Adam,
    I just hope that when the results are posted, and if the govt is returned, that nobody on this site takes it upon themselves to draw their canes against the backs of the members. This comment is not pointed in any particular direction, but mentioned in the hope that a return of the govt will be seen as a means for TFPQ to be even more prepared for the next election.

Cheers all
    Dave
    Dave.... KC answered the rest of it quite adequately I reckon... as for my back... dont worry about it - my back is broad enough to take as many strokes as anyone wants to dish out... I wouldnt get involved in this fight if it wasnt. Meanwhile Dave - keep up the good work - no animosity to you at all!