Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Moreton Bay Closures - what's happening?

Re: Moreton Bay Closures - what's happening?

Hey pinhead... have a look at the newly released Coalition fishing policy, have a look at labors new "life style policy"... neither of these parties have ever come out with anything that remotely resembles these types of policies - do you think they sit around and think these things up themselves?? or is it possible that there is some stuff happening in the back rooms that you may not be aware of?... The fishing party is having an impact whether you like it or not - they are getting some ears and making some noise - and they (both Govt and opposition) are listening... We have to keep the fight up - keep up the pressure - otherwise I'm afraid you will be right - it wont matter - we wont matter and the bay will be closed.

Sorry to detract from your post Marco - yes saw that... interesting huh?!! The greens are getting their ammo ready and thats just a fire across our bow to let us know that they have us in their sights....

Hey Adam,

A little out of your depth are you?

Stepped into a swimmimng pool with all your fact and fiction and you cant even touch the bottom.

This forum is about fishing but when people like you post bullshit then it will be people like me that pull you into line.

You stated people don't know the difference between Federal & state issues. I put it back on you and you go to water. Taking the easy option of saying this is all about fishing and not answering the questions.

The reality is we are all concerned about access to fishing but I think a lot of us are getting a little annoyed with self appointed we will do this we will do that people.

How about you answer my questions?

Or was my post 100% correct?

Hicksy

Having had too long off the boards due to some work issues it is time to throw a bit of water over this.

Greg has his points about the raw numbers and yes the greens will outpoll TFPQ by miles. So they should. They have been at it for 30 years and have the structure and funding, as well as, to use Adams words ,the credibility, to make it happen.

TFPQ has been at it for 2. Truth be known we started this as a straight out organised whinge session and now have a tiger by the tail & can't let it go.

We have to outpoll the greens significantly every time we stand in the same electorate. End of story. When we do the majors will consider the "what if this is a statewide trend" question. Greg (Pinhead) is wrong in his assumption that the only time minor parties get listened to is in the leadup to an election. We are living proof he is wrong. Some of the things TFPQ has acheived through our ongoing relationship with the Federal Government are remarkable, give our relatively insignificant numbers. From my/our experience an election campaign starts the week after an electiuon finishes and influence opportunities do likewise.
    & as for Hicksy & his red undies. Maaate! This is a fishing chat board and I guess, politics really has no place here. I comment Steve for moving this whole issue to a "news" page. You can not keep bringing every topic back to work choices. I know this is your hobby horse but there is never any pretext to even try to talk fishing politics, just IR.....

At the end of the day everyone has an absolute right to disagree on all sorts of things so maybe, as a starting point, we decide what we do agree on.

1. If you can, a vote 1 for TFPQ and a vote 2 for whoever you want to run the state is a bloody good start.
    2. TFPQ will never be in a position to run the state, or even win a seat, but neither will the greens or family first. This should not stop us having a good go.
    3. Every election we stand in builds our media profile and credibility. THis HAS to be a good thing.
    4. Fishing and access to fishing IS one of the major sideshow issues in this election. Beattie and Springboarg have both announced "fishing" policies. Beattie is in today's courier mail (1/2 page. full colour, with fishing rod in hand. THIS IS NOT A COINCIDENCE. Never before have they even HAD a fishing policy.
    5. TFPQ has done more to make fishing a political issue and vote winner in the last year than anything done before.

So settle please guys. TFPQ is doing this for the right reasons, with no hidden agenda, is not a "johnny come lately" and all we are trying to do is redress what we believe is an imbalance in the political system where the environmental lobby, through its political wing, exerts too much influence. If we get luckiy, everyones a winner, if we crash and burn, then at least we went down swinging.

KC

We have to outpoll the greens significantly every time we stand in the same electorate. End of story.
    Latest Centrebet odds..for a $1.00 outlay

Lab..... $1.02
    Coalition . $10.00 (ten)

THIS ELECTION "is a GOOD time" to give the four(4) TFPQ candidates ,your Nod, for your 1st. preference .....jmo

p.s. Pinhead, re your Greenie polling example....
    84% (of seats) by 2%(avg. vote/booth)
    is 1.68% mate ,NOT 16.8% ....a BIG diff !!

DaveSue_Fishos_Two

I think some of us are and well and truly past settling KC. As you know, I have had my own issues with Adam and now it is clear others on the site have very similar problems.

Personally, I have had my own differences with Adam, which I had hoped had been settled through the PM,s. But clearly, this may have only settled some issues between he and I. How many members, KC, are you going to permit this jumped up little smarty pants to offend before you finally put a clamp on him or disassociate TFPQ from him completely. In my opinion, enough is enough. It would seem to me, that the longer this thread is allowed to continue, the more damaging it is becoming to TFPQ.

Just my opinion thank you

Dave

Hi Hicksy...mate..you got me. Luckily I won a bag of minties off Gary so at least it won't cost me.

Just goes to show....politics is a funny game.

Happy to conceed. The greens did not preference Labor. Buggered if I know why. Maybe Beattie is so sure of winning he can afford to do without them.

See tonight Fleggs chief of staff has pulled the pin. Didn't like the blonde joke... What a hoot.

Anyhow Hicksy. See you at the boat show...plus anyone else who wants to talk fishing or politics...personally, I'd rather talk fishing.

Next bet we have should be to wear our undies on the outside for the day...you the red ones, Me the fishy ones and I'd recon Adams would be blue....as for Dave's...I'm not going there.

Don't know is he is a Jimmy Buffet fan but he has a song about........Now I get old I don't really care I don't go to church or wear underwear...............it's called "A pencil thin moustash"

Anoth JB song I really like is "A pirate looks at 40".......goes "yes I am a pirate, 200 years too late, the cannons don't thunder there's nothing to plunder I'm an over 40 victim of fate"

I think there's something in that for all of us

Anyhow.....another good day to be in TFPQ. The rally is gaining legs, fishing continues to be news and who knows, without the green preferences we might just roll a couple of seats.

Hope to catch up with a few of you at the boatshow Saturday arvo & Sunday morning.

KC

I really can't see what the problem is.

It is great to see people who feel strongly and passionately about fishing voicing their opinions. We may never think things should all be done the same way, but at least we are prepared to put our opinions forward and do something (most of us I hope).

The differences between you guys are tiny compared to what you have in common. Put the differences aside. All fishers badly need all of you on our side to fight the green lobby.

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Glind

Just as the fishing vote is a "protest" vote against State Lab/Green and whoever, I think it will be John Howard who will judged over the IR laws.
    The guys who bring up the IR stuff are using that as a "protest" vote against Little Johhny.
    I thought we were voting on things like hospitals, roads, water, dams, Moreton Bay etc etc etc............
    Dunno, I might be wrong.
    Tim

hey would just like to add my opinion.
    i think it is great to see that someone is taking an active role in conserving our fish stocks(you think it would be fishermen not politicions). closing of parts of the bay WILL allow substantially more fish to mature and breed greatly increasing juvenile recruitment in the entirety of the bay. sure you may not be able to fish in all the spots you would like to but i would rather only be able to fish in 50 percent of the bay then watch fish stocks continue to drop. without proper management there is not future fishing, this has been proven all around the world, im just glad australia is a world leader in fisheries management.

cheers
    mick

jim_farrell

Your right mick, I don't know how we all missed that angle.

You've obviously done a lot of research, kept up with news articles, read most of the threads here before posting and are aware of the background of TFPQ.
    If we had only spoken to the people whose life or work is based on fishing in CQ and FNQ, who have benifited from the GBRMP, we would've seen your point of view.
    Also it is remiss of us to dismiss the science produced by the AMCS that has doubled the population of coral trout on closed reefs in 2 years. Their recommendation for 30% to 50% closures in the bay, without any form of study, shows that they have the most financially viable way of attaining proposals for marine park management.

Enjoy your golf in your steam powered golf buggy..... That is of course unless you believe a percentage of the golf course should be closed due to impact on fauna and flora.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Batters_QLD
    hey would just like to add my opinion.
    i think it is great to see that someone is taking an active role in conserving our fish stocks(you think it would be fishermen not politicions). closing of parts of the bay WILL allow substantially more fish to mature and breed greatly increasing juvenile recruitment in the entirety of the bay. sure you may not be able to fish in all the spots you would like to but i would rather only be able to fish in 50 percent of the bay then watch fish stocks continue to drop. without proper management there is not future fishing, this has been proven all around the world, im just glad australia is a world leader in fisheries management.

cheers
    mick
    Since when does the EPA have the role of managing fish stocks? It is the role of the DPI&F, and they are doing just fine with the current bag and size limits. There are no recreational species in Moreton Bay currently under any threat of extinction or even depletion. DPI&F figures show relatively stable catch rates of all major recreational fish. So why are the closures required? Answer - they aren't. This is simply a means by which the radical green groups can start to put and end to fishing.

Back in your box Mick, there's a good boy.

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."

Apathy is the enemy

its not just the EPA there are many other organisations that influence these kind of things. Jim i am only really new to the subject but have learned plenty about the subject through fisheries science at uni, have definetly heard about the coral trout situation, they all claimed it they were ruining fishing at the time. jeremy where exactly have you gotten these figures from?? i would like links. you cant seriosly say that fish stocks havent been declining in the bay, maybe your not paying attention. were not talking about extinction here, if by depletion you mean declining stock numbers then there definetly is a risk.

"simply a means by which the radical green groups can start to put and end to fishing"

basicly the stuben view many have taken. fishing will never be banned so dont use that excuse, so as long as ther are fish in the water (the closures will help) we will all be allowed to fish.

mick

its not just the EPA there are many other organisations that influence these kind of things. Jim i am only really new to the subject but have learned plenty about the subject through fisheries science at uni, have definetly heard about the coral trout situation, they all claimed it they were ruining fishing at the time. jeremy where exactly have you gotten these figures from?? i would like links. you cant seriosly say that fish stocks havent been declining in the bay, maybe your not paying attention. were not talking about extinction here, if by depletion you mean declining stock numbers then there definetly is a risk.

"simply a means by which the radical green groups can start to put and end to fishing"

basicly the stuben view many have taken. fishing will never be banned so dont use that excuse, so as long as ther are fish in the water (the closures will help) we will all be allowed to fish.

mick

of course fishing will never be banned, if the greenies get their way we will still be able to fish in all the barren/structureless, devoid of fish areas that we want to.

i don't think we all disagree with closures, so long as they are only temporary & they are opened again for us to use. i am sure most probably won't even disagree to seasonal closures during breeding.

the thing is that these people do not want that, they want it shut down completely.

you cant seriosly say that fish stocks havent been declining in the bay, maybe your not paying attention. #were not talking about extinction here, if by depletion you mean declining stock numbers then there definetly is a risk.
    mick
    You are in favour of these closures eh Mick! Lets start with you stating which species require additional protection than the bag and size limits already in place, and the evidence (catch raters or whatever) which backs this up. If you can do that, I will debate this issue with you sensibly.

Jeremy

Apathy is the enemy

Battlers_QLD,

Just by typing something in capitals does not make it true! All you have stated is opinions with nothing at all to back them up. In almost all cases traditional management techniques are more effective than sanctuary closures (conclusion of our CSIRO, University of British Columbia and many other fisheries professionals). They conclude that large scale sancutaries are likely to just reduce the performance of the fishery through loss of productive areas and overfishing due to displaced effort in the areas left open.

You are wrong again if you think that 20 - 30 % sanctuary zones are anything other than a defacto ban on fishing. These zones are designed to put nearly all the worthwhile areas off limits to fishing. Its no wonder that 42% of anglers just gave up fishing in communities affected by the GBRMP. The draconian $25,000 fines and criminal conviction for catching a fish in the wrong place had something to do with this as well!