Thread: Questions on camping on Straddie

Questions on camping on Straddie

Hi all being from the nthside have never ventured with boat to South Straddie
    Question is if we wanted to camp on south Straddie what ramp would be best and also must be secure for car and trailer
    Also do we need to book or just show up to camp on beach?
    I have seen comments on "Bedrooms" maybe that is a good place
    Are camp fires permitted ?
    Any comments would be appreciated.

Re: Questions on camping on Straddie

Hey Paul,

I am a pretty regular visitor over to South Straddie in the boat and often gone for a few days.

Quick rundown of it all for you and anyone else is as follows.

Great 4 lane ramp at Jacobs Well with parking, can get a bit full during summer months. Invest in a trailer lock ($25 locks car to trailer) and park against the wall near the camp grounds. Its under flood lights there and also has occupied cabins looking over the cars, so people are not too sure if the the car belongs to the people sitting on the deck of the cabin. There is no cost for parking or launching there.

Bait and tackle shop is right on the ramp and sells ice, there is also a bottle shop and small supermarket just across the road from the ramp for any last minute forgotten things.

It depends on where you camp on South Straddie as to whether you need to book and costs involved. Places like the Bedrooms and Tipplers advertised on this website

http://www.caravancampingnetwork.com...mpgrounds.html

say that there is a fee, and I suppose for electric BBQs and toilets there would be. Personally I camp just north of Pandanus Island on the sandy beach there. Only amenities there are rubbish bins. I think there may still be a fee to camp there but I never seem to be at camp when the ranger comes

Take a look at Nuggets map of Jumpinin on here via hints and tips and then Nuggets Saltwater site.

Also if you have Beacon to Beacon then take it or copy the relelvant pages as navigation can be a little tricky out there as you are running down stream from Jacobs Well towards Tipplers Island and then upstream once around the bend, so your beacons change sides. Its a great trap for young players.

Anchoring boats so they are always in the water can be a bit tricky with big tides. I use a 75mtr anchor rope which is fashioned in such a way that I can drag the boat in and out using it while the anchor remains 20 metres or so away from the bank. PM me and I can explain it if you want.

Hope thats of some help to you... Enjoy your time out there and I am looking at getting my hands on a Ausfishing Flag somehow to hoist when at camp as others are more than welcome to come and say hello.

Hi bootyinblue.

Thanks you heaps for the detailed information and for your time,
    You have supplied great info and we have decided to maybe make a day trip and have a bit of a browse as I have several weeks up my sleeve.
    Thanks heaps again

Paul,

Check your PMs

Hi Paul, That was good info from Booty. You might also like to check out the area just to the east of the huts on Crusoe Island - it is quite good except in strong south east winds. Almost directly opposite that, on the other side of two channels separated by sandbanks, is an area on a Goldbank. That place is very busy though - lots of dog owners take their dogs there for a walk - and you know what dogs do when they walk! Apart from that it is a good campsite and fairly well protected from the south east winds.

The other area to try would be on the very northern tip of South Stradbroke but you should plan to arrive and leave on the very top of the high tide so that packing and unpacking can be done without too much walking back and forth.

Paul - I forgot to add some information about the area to the east of the huts on Crusoe Island. In summer it is home to very large Huntsman spiders so, if like me you aren't fond of them, don't camp. The other side of Crusoe, the northern shore, is even worse for them. The swamp is closer to places where a tent can be pitched. Many winters ago I camped there and, for a time, it became quite warm. The tent filled up with flying ants. I sprayed them, switched out the light and sat on the beach fishing.

On my return to the tent and switching on the light I found that the tent was infested with very, very large Huntsman spiders. They were leaping all over the place. I slept on the beach under a tarp. The next night was just as bad. I moved over to South Stradbroke and didn't come across another spider, large or small. Cannot work that out as I was camped near trees in both places. It might have something to do with the swamp area in the middle of Crusoe.

I camp at sth straddie at least once a year, down by vmr which is just south of tipplers resort, it has toilets hot and cold showers and bbq with sinks to wash dishers, it does cost but you just put up a tent and the ranger comes around and get's the fee's, up at the resort these the pub with live bands a shop where you can get everything (bit more expensive the coles) ....also you are allowed fires but must be in the concrete pipes they have on the island, you just find one and roll it back to were you want it,( I make sure I clean up the ashes from the old fire site as people leave broken bottles and stuff in the fire tubes,) nothing worse then seeing a young kid with their foot cut wide open from an old broken beer bottle, also lot's of wallibes and goanna's (1 mtr plus ), heres some phot's of our site last year, you can keep a good eye on your boat to, as you will see in one of the phot's was taken from campsite.

cheers Chris
    may you get a bend in your rod and your esky open often

So does the fly-screen tent mean that the sandflies are bad over there??

I'd take a good insect repellent. Sometimes you won't have a problem, but then at others we've almost been carried away by mozzies.

Brett

PS I like bushmans, there are 2 strengths and I'm pretty sure they both have sunscreen in them too.

May 2006 Order New Hilux - June 2006 Order ARB & Other Goodies - August 2006 Organise fitting of ARB & Other Goodies - 2nd September 2006 Delivery of New Hilux with Goodies - 2nd September 2006 Break Goodies - 3rd September 2006 Use Angle Grinder to Modify New Goodies - 4th July 2007 BEND ARB rear protection bar (Big Rocks) - 31st July 2007 Notice cracked welds in the ute tub. TWIST!! - September 2007 Bend Alloy Side Steps - Feb 2008 Install steel side steps - March 2008 Bend Steel steps & Punture Diff Lock Air Line

With the ol bushmans, great stuff, i swear by it, but if your allergic to it like Bec or others youll get a reaction, she recently tried a new type of spray that apparently eats your body odour,,,, seemed to work with no reactions so far..

cheers
    Mike

few mossies but not to bad,then again I don't get bitten but wife and boys react bad to bite's......
    cheers Chris
    may you get a bend in your rod and your esky open often