Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What off road camper, the good and the bad.

What off road camper, the good and the bad.

Hi fella's thinking about another toy to clutter me yard up.
    Something differant for the kids, so maybe comfortable camping.
    So thinking of buying a off road camper to tow, just barely,,,, behind me NJ pajero 3 litre.

So was wondering whats good and bad in the wind up, flip out front and back with the double beds each end.

Not looking new up to 12 K. Any help sugestions, what to look for what you need, Etc. Even if you think there a waste of time and have no resale value. Cause there dear as poison New, even used there dearer than the same year model car.

Cheers.
    A marriage licence should be like your fishing licence!
    Expires every year and you get a 3 day pass when you go interstate.

Re: What off road camper, the good and the bad.

i have off road cub windup pullout dbed 3way fridge cooker sleeps 3 in and 2 in annexe very happy! pulled by 3.3v6 navara have to look in mirror see if its still there! thanks for tip 12v for navara !
    don't take life to seriously no one gets out alive anyway l !

Yeppers,

I got one of those 'toys' in my garage too.

Only got a few small pics to show ya, thought we had more. Mines a little Jayco I #bought second hand, and your right #they aren't cheap and they go quick ( as in resale).

Quite easy to put up only takes about 15-20 mins depending if you use annex or just the overnite awning. We tried it out first in a caravan park then up at Inskip a few times. Mines not a true 'offroader' but tows easily behind the commodore (road) or Suzy 4x4 along the beach.

Opens out to over 19 foot and folds back to 12 foot which makes it easy to store in the garage.

Cheers,
    Tony #
    Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people seem Bright ...... untill they speak

easy to store in the garage too
    Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people seem Bright ...... untill they speak

I got a ripper pop top camper off eBay last year for 5k pull out beds + double and single sleeps 7 all up sink stove oven fridge the lot.
    Tight lines <*)(((((((((><

Thanks Fella's for your input went out today with the family to take a look see.

Hmmm the 12k one would have done me, wife wanted the 19K one, I thought hell why not buy the new one it's only 5K dearer than that.
    Nice them coramal's with the push out kitchen, But even though it was brand new several to choose from, being out in the open all set up she already looked worn out. (probably set up for at least 12 months)

So I reluctantly come home considering 25K would buy a lot of Hotel accomodation, or even new camper Hire ones, that would be newer in years to come.

So I don't know going to keep an eye on Ebay, don't like me chances of picking up a bargain though.

Then they tell me I have to electric brakes on me Paj, 450 Clams, what ever happened to overide brakes.
    A marriage licence should be like your fishing licence!
    Expires every year and you get a 3 day pass when you go interstate.

Personally i think they have a use for different people. For myself, i dont se the use o haveing an extra amount of kgs behind the truck for what you get. You still have to set it up, extra fuel towing it , cant tow the boat. I would rather be putting up a tent, there are some great tents avail now, easy and quik set up, they take up less room, no rego, etc.
    Jewie

Good point there Jewie, already have 3 cars 2 boats and a box trailer to register. I forgot how much that all costs me. It also annoys the sh!t of me.

Quote Originally Posted by JEWIENEWIE View Post
    Personally i think they have a use for different people. For myself, i dont se the use o haveing an extra amount of kgs behind the truck for what you get. You still have to set it up, extra fuel towing it , cant tow the boat. I would rather be putting up a tent, there are some great tents avail now, easy and quik set up, they take up less room, no rego, etc.
    Jewie
    Have to agree a little here however the minister for war and finance is a bit of a 4 star camper and at around 2.5 hrs in the blazing sun to set up our tent and assorted gear and 12 mins to pop up the caravan I take 2 vehicles 1 to tow the boat and 1 to tow the van and bugger the expense
    Tight lines <*)(((((((((><

Friends of ours have a T-Van and they love it. It is the only 4wd campertrailer that doesn't fold up onto the bed. This keeps the mattress dry even when packing up in the wet.

However....

We have a 3 room tent and all the gear to go with it (2 kids). It takes a similar amount of time to pack the trailer away as it does for us to pack up camp. The main advantage is having everything organised and in its place. I am installing drawers in the back of the 'lux and have bought plastic boxes (good quality or they fall apart) to store gear in both in the ute and at home between trips.

Its a matter of preference. If you want a camper trailer here are my reccomendations.

Get one with INDEPENDANT SUSPENSION. If you are going offroad it is a godesnd.

Sorry, got distracted by the Victorias Secret on the TV.

The independant tows so much better, and if you go through rough stuff it is so much more stable. Also, a fold out hard floor is great, an extra spot where you can keep mud out of if it rains.

Good Luck

Brett

Thank's fellas, going to have another look today, with your info on board.

Have a close look at Trackabout Campertrailers that sort of money will get you into a Safari with a couple of extras or a fully tricked Deuxe 4x4 tourer with change. Cant go passed them for trailer build quality or the canvas work. I used to be involved with a retail outlet stocking a large range of brands and the guys there all thought these were the best bang for your buck on the market.

I went out wanting a camper trailer that would go offroad and ended up with a Jayco SWAN to keep the financial controller happy, so now we do 4+ star camping and I still have to walk to the bl@@dy beach !! geez

Anyway, ended up buying another tent in case I take young sanchez up the beach for a weekend camp / fish.

Still I do like camping in the Jayco, comfy, all the cons, DVD / TV for the boy, can cook up a storm and speaking of same it bucketed down over Chrissy at Hastings point and we didn't cop one drop

You can take that on the beach no worries, we have a viscount pop top. Its 12ft long 7ft wide when folded down and ways about 800kgs, i have towed around double island with my jackeroo. Will be towing to moreton with my 100 series next time i head over, its also been to farser the cape and kakadu.

Dont know if you ment you couldnt take it off road, or you didnt want to. But you certainly can.

Yeah I have been thinking that I don't really need a serious off roader lately.
    Just a few rough tracks and the odd hard beaches, should have me covered. So maybe just a bit of height and some wider wheels.

Can't imagine why the off roaders have so much chunky steel holding them together, when it all rely's on that flimsy 2mm thick box tube, tow hitch that hooks up with a half inch pin.

Am I missing something here,?? those off roaders a built tougher than the articulated computer air seeder I use to tow behind a turbo charged duel wheel tractor. That thing was forty five foot long and 25 foot wide, I drove it over and in to everything including a wombat hole that swollowed it.
    Well that did snap the PTO. but nothing else on it.

Thinking there over built to buggery.