Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum sealed bags

Re: Vacuum sealed bags

Thanks baldy picked up a 550 today from the Good Guys for $230-works a treat. going to check out vacuseal at Caboolture -there bags seem a bit cheaper if you go by there website. only thing is there bags are listed as 30cm but as they are close will go and check them out.will post how I go.

thanks for the help cheers John
    Work to live
    Live to fish

Hi guys
    Baldy head cannot find the bags on the Curreys site at all. Where do yo find them???????????????? How much and how many do you buy at a time.
    I looked up the link for vacuseal and have found they are just down the road at Caboolture so will check them out tomorrow.
    What i have been doing is buying the resealable zip lock bags and putting one inside the other. This seems to work ok but prefer the thicker bags.
    Will let you guys know how the vacuseal ones work out and how much they are.

Ronnie

Ronnie check out post #30!
    I buy a couple of packs @ a time. They are 100 to the pack.
    Come in Small, Medium & Large sizes.
    cheers baldy

I have had a Foodsaver for about 18 months now and love it. Keeps fish fillets great and no freezer burn. As good as the day they were caught. I have also done whole fish with no problems. As for stews etc. I freeze them before vacuum sealing them. I have done muffins etc to take out on the boat, but just by sealing the bag not vacuum sealing. As mentioned in an earlier post, water tight! I have never had any pop. Yes the bags care a bit expensive, but I have to spend the kids inheritance on something.

I agree i love using my bags, put them in microwave, freezer and reuse sometimes as bags do add to your costs but are well worth the money.
    don

I have been looking for some time. this thread has just convinced me to go ahead. I searched the net for info and found vacuseal, but their gear looked expensive. found this site:-

http://www.winequip.com.au/Food+Equi...5b88b3770b93fe

I think I'll head into a good guys store, and get the 10% off for cash.

Cheers Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

I am intrigued as to how these work...I have just used ziplock bags...push the air out before sealing them. Works fine that way.

As stated above Greg, these work much better than zip lock bags. The type of product you can freeze is unlimited. I have even had mates freeze ice, yes I know, but, they get a bag of party ice, seperate it and vacuseal it into smaller flat bags. the ice lasts many times longer this way and also packs nicely into eskies.

Pillies with a little seasalt and vacusealed will last forever and be very convienent.

You can freeze a soup in a container, then vacuseal it, back into the freezer. When you want it, heat up a saucepan and drop whole thing into it, cut open top, pour into cup / mug, yumo.

Even the matches, etc while camping, great ideas mentioned in previous posts.

vacuseal pre-greased bearings for trailers for long trips.

That's it, I'm off to get mine, haven't bought myself a pressie in a long time !!!

The only issue I have been warned about is the liquids or juice from certain foods , sometimes they can get sucked into the pump. There must be a way to stop this or a machine that eliminates this !!

Phill

my question is: If these create a vacuum in the bag then how much moisture is taken out of the product during this process?

Depends on the type of product you are going to freeze i suppose.

the domestic type units will not pull a skin off a rice pudding so i don't think they'll suck the juice from a pillie.

I am actually heading out tomorrow ( Easter saturday ) to the Good Guys as they are having a 15% storewide. Good timing I reckon.

I am going to attempt to vacuseal / vacpack some chook gut, Greg. I think this will show up any shortcomings in these units.

You may be able to put the gut in a ziplock bag and then vacupack the whole thing ??

I like the idea of vacupacking salted pillies, yakka, slimies etc. Also all other types of biat. I usually get 10 -20kgs of Mullet fillet at the right price at the right time of year, so to be able to have a good , no freezer burn stock at my disposal is going to be a bonus.

vacupacking pre-rigged trolling baits also appeals, as you know how soft those bonito get once frozen then thawed.

I will endeavour to get a good rundown on the unit when I purchase it, hopefully i'll get an experienced salesman / ( person ).

I'll keep ya posted.

Phill

hey guys what would happen if you vacum sealed dry ice????
    after a couple of beers i just started to think about it,

cheers chris
    may you get a bend in your rod and your esky open often

It would last a long time I reckon ? The thing that destroys dry ice is oxygen/ air.

I bought a Sunbeam Foodsaver today.

Good Guys had their 15% off so i paid $220 and $33 for some rolls.

I will try it out over the next week or so.

Phill

we bought one from target for $240 and its been real good and you cant go pass there warrenty as they replace it not fix it so you get a new one on the spot if you have problems so chears and beers

Always semifreeze or freeze anything thats a bit liquidy like stews, bloody meat etc. I defrosted some meat sealed 6 months ago to make some biltong and was amazed how fresh it was. looked like it had just been cut from the beast. Had no problem with fresh fish straight from the esky. Also good for smoked fillets.

Biltong sealed and frozen will keep fresh for ages.

Cheers
    Brad

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    It would last a long time I reckon ? The thing that destroys dry ice is oxygen/ air.

I bought a Sunbeam Foodsaver today.

Good Guys had their 15% off so i paid $220 and $33 for some rolls.

I will try it out over the next week or so.

Phill
    Phil..if you create a vacuum then the mositure from the product will boil off...hence my original question. What keeps the moisture in the product?