Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: midgie repellant

midgie repellant

Hi All,

My mrs tried the midgie repellant that was suggested but didn't seem to work. Maybe if you are allergie it has no effect. She is absolutely covered in bited which are all infected. a few others tried the repellant and it seemed to keep them away but for people who are allergic it seems to have no effect. The midgies are horrible things and it looks like i will not be able to go camping with the mrs. She spent 3 days on antihysamines which wasn't too good. Thanks for all the help and advice everyone gave me but to no avail it wasn't to be.

Regards
    Howzat

Re: midgie repellant

Hi Howzat,

I missed your original thread but, have you tried a mix of;

1 part Detol (True Detol only)
    1 part Tap Water
    and a small amount of baby oil (sufficient to make the stuff stick to your skin).

Put the mix into a spray bottle and give it a good shake then spray on the exposed skin. It beats the clappers out of anything else commercial or homemade. It also gives an anti-bacterial layer to prevent infection of any bites that you do get.

May the winds blow lightly upon your sails
    May the seas buffet gently upon your hull
    May your chiller be full of piscatorial delights

Sorry to hear that mate,

At least if you had Dettol in the mix it should help prevent the bites becoming infected.

Allergies are terrible things. We've got a few wierd ones in my family, a number of them my own. My dad's had his tongue swollen so much it restricted his airways and his heart knocked into an irregular rhythm a couple of times by an allergy that's never been identified and he has to carry an epi-pen at all times.
    I find the green Telfast is the best general purpose non-prescription anti-hystamine. I used to suffer much more from the anti-hystamines than the allergies themselves as a young bloke...

I know roughly what your wife's going through, and can only offer my sympathy and hope you find something that works for her.

Good luck,
    Mike

Howzat,

My personal experience is that these little f@rk!!s clone themselves every change in recipe of repellent so to be more resistent to it next time. I am over the bites and the itch 2 days later. I simply wear 2 tracky dacks, two pullovers cos one pair they still get through. My hands still cop it but what more can you do, they were here first.

I guess it comes down to your will to go fishing.

I do however feel sorry for your missus, the allergic reaction to them must be terrible to deal with.

LW

ive seen malcom douglas cover himself in mud before, perhaps you could take her down to nudgee beach at low tide and get her to roll around for a bit .... you would definatly be able to check if it works down there...

hey howzat,,,,deepest sympathy for the better half as i know personally the torment these things cause some folks,,,,i spent 8 months in hospital as a kid by sandflies/midge bites,,, didnt have a piece of skin that wasnt scabbed by my scratching or covered in blisters by the bites,,, unfortunately i passed the same allergic reaction on to my kids but they dont seem to as badly effected,,, i still get ""swollen"" bite areas now but luckily no where near as bad as i was,,,,acouple of ideas that help me (mind you i said help,,, not cure) vitamin b injections from the local doc,, and i use the hottest chillie powder i can find and mix this with rid or aerogard once i've sprayed it on,,,, i smell like a chinese hot pot but the little buggars dont like it to much,,,,,you need to moisturise your skin after a day or two of using this concoction as it drys out a bit,,, but if you still get a few bites i use hairdresser strenghth peroxide to stop any further annoyance,,(this is not recommended by my doc,,,but weigh up the costs of creams and ointments and i'm way in front),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,choppa
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

This product is put out by Avon as a skin softener, it is called 'Skin so Soft'

It was discovered purely by accident, that it REALLY DOES keep mozzies and sandflies away.

Definately worth a go, I use it quite often.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

I'm not sure if this works or not but it may be worth a try. I was recently watching a Korean television show that shows various science experiments. One question that they tried to solve was what the effects of red light had on flies. It was pretty cool. They shined a red light on a fly and it stopped dead. It wouldn't move even though they poked it with sticks. The moment they stopped shining the light on it, it got up and flew away. Maybe putting a red cellophane (spelling?) sheet over a porch light would keep them from bothering you on your next bar-b-que? I wish spring would get here sooner because I wanted to try this out first hand. If this actually works, it will be great. No more buzzing "pain-in-the-necks" to bother us.

If anyone tries it, let us know if it works or not please.
    "When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.-- Mark Twain"

the red light might stop insects but it will bring in pests of another kind.

I agree with Roz - that Avon skin-so-soft is the best repellant that I have ever used. You can use the Replenishing Body Cream or the after shave cream because they both work. Sandflies won't come anywhere near you.

If you forget to apply the cheapest and best remedy is to fill a squirter bottle with half methylated spirits and half very black tea.

Detol & Olive or Baby Oil works well - but burns your skin fast in sunlight

Warning - spraying Detol on Cane Toads - will kill Cane Toads within minutes

Who knows what Detol does to Humans

cover body well - Long pants & long sleve shirt for best results

Made up the sprays and went to jacorbs well for a weeks holiday midgie repellent no work and will never go to that midgie infested place again

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4x4
    Made up the sprays and went to jacorbs well for a weeks holiday midgie repellent no work and will never go to that midgie infested place again
    no need to be so negative bruce...I have spent many many nights round the Well and the Pin area..the best midgie repellent is taken orally...an internal deterrent...it's name..Green Ginger Wine...drink enough of that and you will never worry about midgies again.

AND - another deterrent is to sit in the water up to your neck and drink rum. Now that works!

Sorry to hear of your bad experience at Jacobs Well, Bruce. I go there all the time in summer and winter. For the summer I have a lightweight pair of trousers which my wife made for me from calico (I think). Wear a long sleeve shirt as well as light socks and shoes and apply Skin-So-Soft to exposed areas. After dark when the sand flies disappear and mosquitos come out the combination works on the mossies as well.

All clothing should be very light weight to be comfortable on hot, still days and evenings.

Further protection, from mossies but not sand flies, can be gained by taking Vitamin B1 in large doses. Don't know what the health effects are but it works as a deterrent for many.

Quote Originally Posted by el_carpo View Post
    Maybe putting a red cellophane (spelling?) sheet over a porch light
    Gave this a go last night.... Just got a heap of sailors & old men turn up asking for "Kinky Kelly"