Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: midgie repellant

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin_Dan View Post
    Gave this a go last night.... Just got a heap of sailors & old men turn up asking for "Kinky Kelly"
    there was no need though dan in slamming the door in ou faces,,,,,,jeeeeez
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

I just spent a week up at Inskip and we were going through a tin of rid a day until a couple camping next to us suggested we give their concoction a go. It work a treat with no more bight resulting.

The recipe is as follows,

100ml of Detol
    100ml of Sunscreen (to give a loose creamy texture)
    100ml of baby oil.

We now use this at home and have ditched the rid and aeroguard.

Give it a go you wont be dissapointed.

Good luck

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark
    I like the sunscreen in the mix, I have used the one third baby oil but this could be better.

Mix works well on midges but is hard on the sheets and the boss hates the smell of detol.

Have now gone over to 1/2 a 250 mg Vit B1 tab a day and no midges very few mossys and no detol smell and clean sheets so I don't have to sleep so far from the boss anymore which is another advantage.

Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

G'day Howzat,
    so what method did the Mrs employ...

Cheers

The best thing for keeping all the bities off (maybe does not work on snakes) is Bushman plus -- because it has 80% DEET it will also keep the ticks off. I do not use it all the time because it is so strong but if the bities are bad on it goes. It is non greasy, not a bad smell and has a sunscreen in it as well. Have used it from the Pin to the Cape with 100% success.

Regards
    Shandos

Re: midgie repellant

I spilt some bushmens on the seat on my tinny and it staind it. Theres no way i would put it on my skin!!!
    jewie

I am allergic to sandflies which is unfortunate with fishing but bushmans is legendry works when nothing else does. I always keep some for back up but try to use the aerogard first as it is much cheaper.

One thing about the bushmans is its bloody expensive but it is unstoppable.

Quote Originally Posted by RobGoesFish View Post

One thing about the bushmans is its bloody expensive but it is unstoppable.
    So are the stains if you spill it on something............go the Avon...........if it's good enough for the Royal Marines

http://heritage.scotsman.com/ingenui...?id=1819182005

kev

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

Saw an ad in a magazine, Mossie Patches available at the Chemist. Like smoking patches. Apparently it releases Vitamin B1 (Thamine) and repels mossies when you perspire (or in my case, sweat). I used to believe pressure pads too, bought at the chemist , on the wrist used to work for sea-sickness till I spent a whole morning empting my stomach contents. Cheers

hahaha touche kingtin. I've been meaning to try skin so soft for a while. I just checked out the avon website for australia and they make lots of skin so soft products, is it the skin so soft mosquito repellant?
    Last edited by RobGoesFish; 11-02-2007 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobGoesFish View Post
    hahaha touche kingtin. I've been meaning to try skin so soft for a while. I just checked out the avon website for australia and they make lots of skin so soft products, is it the skin so soft mosquito repellant?
    Mate, the product in most use by the RM is the dry oil body spray but apparently the whole range seems to work.

Due to UK regs the product is not allowed to be marketed over there as a mozzie repellent. It appears that Avon discovered skin soft's repelling abilities simply by chance and subsequently marketed what is simply a skin cream/oil as a mozzie spray in both the US and Oz..........bet they've added a few bucks to the price as well so it may well be that the skin so soft dry oil body spray is just as effective but cheaper........and may even be the exact same product as the mozzie repellent........I don't know? All I know for sure is that the Royal Marines are using the dry oil body spray to ward off the Scottish midges and they are as ferocious as they come.......both the midges and the RM's A RM mate of mine back in the UK has also used the product in the jungles of Belize so it definately works on the mozzies too.

kev

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.