Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: food to take camping for first timers !

food to take camping for first timers !

the wife, kids and myself are first timers in camping ( will be away for about 10nights in Yamba - NSW in a few months. #Does anyone have a few pointers on what food to take that is quick and easy. #The campground has a common kitchen and we will have our own gas stove.. Thanks

themisses

Re: food to take camping for first timers !

Quick and easy!! No-one wants to spend time cooking on hols. If going for a few nights, I often cook spagbol, curry and bean slurry before we go and freeze it in portion size containers. Then you just have to cook pasta/rice and reheat the topping. And just cook eggs in the morning with the slurry. Cereal for breaky, (once the slurry has run out) it's quick and easy. Sangers for lunch. If you are lucky enough to catch fish you can duck to the takaway for chips while the other half cooks the fish. Cous-cous is also great for camping, dead easy and goes with anything. If you have a good ice box frozen meals will stay frozen for a few days and will help keep the overall temp down. Don't forget the munchies for the afternoonies!!
    Have fun!!
    Cheers Kim.

I'm with kim. #If i'm not feeling like cooking while camping much, freeze up spag sauce, curry, stew etc. #A lot of it will depend on what the facilities are where you are going to be camping, ice availability etc. #Can't beat just about anything cooked in a camp oven. #last trip, nice roast lamb leg with roast vegies and redwine and port gravy. #YUM! #
    have to have the old spuds in alfoil in the coals of course!

Biggest thing is to make sure all your food is secure from the wildlife. #Possums, rats, and all kinds of other thieving buggers love to chew through all your food. Keep it up off the ground and in plastic containers if possible.

Most of all, enjoy the trip! #Camp food always tastes better than home cooking, don't know if it's all the ash that normally ends up in my food or if it's the beautiful locations......... #

Dan
    Southwind SF20 'Piscatoreous'
    Savage 14ft tinny "About Time'

in this day and age,,, you can just about take anything if you've got the right equipment,, but the responses above are spot on,,,,make it wholesome,,,quick,,and enjoyable

your on hols to enjoy yourselves,,,not to travel a zillion miles to set up a 5 star restaurant,,

can food is a goo option as well,, especially if you mix and match,,, the old fire style breville makers are still around and make a quick brekky or snack to fill the empty stomach,,

when we go away on any trip,,a tupperware container of FLOUR is always thrown in as well,,,,,,, you can do a lot with the old flour from quick batters,,,flapjacks,,dumplings,, and takes up little room

hope you enjoy your trip,,,,,,,
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

I don't use anything but my small all plate (no grill) 2 burner BBQ to cook all the meals that need cooking will cost $89.00 in any hardware at the moment.

Breakfast: bacon eggs hash browns tomato onion zuchini hash and toast
    If you like capsicum cut it into rings and use it as egg rings.
    Butter your bread on both sides and toast straight on the BBQ

Lunch: salad rolls/sangas,salad on plate etc etc

Tea: BBQ steak, snags, chops, rissoles, chicken breast, potato chips, even do a great stir fry as well

Hope this helps
    Tight lines <*)(((((((((><

For future reference if you go away somewhere more remote get your butcher to Vacumm Seal the meats, it last a lot longer about 2-3 weeks.. It costs us about $10 for all of our meats to be done last time.

Spot on Dan, i go away camping for up to 6 week stints, i buy a hind quaterof beef, get the old butcher to devide into portions which suit me and vacum pack, then freeze the lot, will last for ages, pull out and defrost what yu want for the next few days and it also acts as ice and keeps it all cold. Well worth the effort
    Jewie

Snags ,steaks,spuds and beer.Finally, more BEER
    George
    At Heaven's gate a soldier stood,
    his story ready to tell,
    St Peter said, 'no need my son all is understood,
    Go right in cos you've already served your time in Hell'

Thanks all, should have said that we have NIL dietary restictions and will have access to a microwave and fridge / freezer at the camp ground for all campers to use. Hopefully no-one steals our food. We will take an esky which is a fair size. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] ..

Am plannig to go to BCF today after work to purchase some tackle from the Xmas money left over which should be great.. [smiley=happy.gif]

Take a couple of bottles of shake-a-pancake mix, there are a couple of different brands but I read the instructions on the back and pick one that needs 375ml or 1 1/2 cups of water, that way you can just use and empty stubbie to measure your water out. Great for brekky or left to cool for easy snacks or moring tea.

Kev

Maybe we need something more substantial than pancakes..

JAFFLES ... buy a Jaffle iron if you haven't got one. Best thing invented (and Aussie too, I think) especially good if you've got 'slurry'. Creamed corn (buy in cans) jaffles ... Yumm! ... for breakfast.
    Alloy jaffle irons don't go good in open camp fire but Ok on gas burner. Happy camping, Castlemaine

PS - KFC at Yamba

prunes. keeps things regular when on camping diets.

ronnieandbill

Hi
    I take all the stuff we normally eat at home plus a few special treats we don't normally have. Meat- Bangers.steak.rissoles etc as well as spuds and onions, fruit as this is always great for the kids to snack on instead of chips and lollies. There's plenty of ways to do spuds- in the fire if you can, mashed, chippies- you get the drift. The normal munchies for the kids of course as you will find everyone tends to eat more when they go camping.

I bought one of those vacuum sealers so i pack all my meat in the bags and freeze before I go. Everything keeps better and longer. The initial outlay was about 240 bucks but in my opinion worth it. Keeps the water out to so you don't end up with an esky full of bloody water.
    You should be able to have it done at the local butchers to.

Cook simple things- a bush stew, stirfry- things that don't have you standing around cooking for hours. I'm sure there are lots of recipes available on this web site. Watch out for Derek's recipes. i watch him on the 4x4 show cooking away in his camp oven. Great food and easy to prepare.

Hope this helps abit. if you want some recipes pm me. I cook anything and have lots of quick meals to keep you both out of the kitchen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ronnie

My hubbie would tell you I take everything- (even the kitchen sink) so we always have food left when we come home.