Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: food to take camping for first timers !

Re: food to take camping for first timers !

Yamba's hardly ruffing it. Just buy food as you need it from the numerous grocery stores Bi-Lo is the main one. There is dozens of takeaway places within walking distance, but thankfully no KFC.

Plenty of good tackle shops to get advice for fishing.

Make sure you check out Iluka and Angourie, I have been going down there every year for the last 10 . very beautiful spot.
    I hope you do better with the fishing than I did. I just had 10 days in Iluka.
    Paul

No fish around Iluka, ar-we-there-yet??
    Fantastic spot. But I've not really had much luck with the fishing there myself. Local knowledge required I guess.

As for the food - most simple meals can be prepared while camping. I like to take canned vegies (even potatoes) as they can be kept after the trip if not eaten and they are already cooked, just require reheating. It's good if you can keep the cooking to just frying stuff - limits the washing up (overcooked rice can be a bastard to get off!!).

I wasn't suggesting that you live on pancakes BRISSIE_1. We use them for our brekky when we go camping with our kids. They are just alot easier to store, transport, prepare and clean up than a cooked bacon and egg brekky, just remember you're on holidays and whatever you do should be quick and simple so that you can have more time to do other things.

Kev

Take a frying pan and lots of baking paper. Catch fish, fillet and skin them. Place enough baking paper in frying pan so that it completely covers the bottom and sides and place on low heat. Chuck in fillets - they take only a few minute to cook.

Don't burn or break the baking paper when cooking and removing fillets and there will not be any washing up to do. Quick and healthy for those of us who hate washing up.

Learning to use a pressure cooker is also a good idea.

Having lots of beer is essential.

Quote Originally Posted by chisel
    No fish around Iluka, ar-we-there-yet?? #
    Fantastic spot. #But I've not really had much luck with the fishing there myself. #Local knowledge required I guess..
    There were a few flat head and whiting about, but nothing worth getting excited about. I usually go down in winter much better then. Lots of bream, ludwick and Taylor off the rocky out crops on the surf side. The guys in the know catch a few jew in the river and off the groin wall.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by ar-we-ther-yet
    There is dozens of takeaway places within walking distance, but thankfully no KFC.
    Hope the 'Two Fat Men Burgers' is still there. Haven't been to Yamba in a while ... another great place on the NSW north coast. Glad they haven't got KFC

Derek_Bullock

When camping the actual food isnt really the issue, its what you have to keep it in and what you have to cook it with. Get yourself the best eski or camping fridge you can afford and the biggest you can fit in with everything else.

For a stove, once again buy the best gas or duel fuel stove you can afford. For me thats a Coleman duel fuel stove. Expensive but runs off unleaded petrol and a litre lasts for ages.

Also buy good saucepans, a frying pan and utensils. Check out second hand shops. You can pick up really good stainless steel saucepan sets for next to nothng. Ebay is another good source if you know what you are looking for.

If you want to do some baking and roasting, buy a cheap 9 quart cast iron camp oven. Should get one below $30.00 but check that the lid fits properly first. Have a look at the section on my website about using heat beads with it. The methood shown there can be used in any caravan park. Just dont pour the hot coals out on the lawn when you are finished. Let them burn out or fill the frying pan with water. http://www.aussiecampovencook.com/charcoalasheat.htm

Once you have the equipment it is as Ronnie says in the quote below. Pretty well anything goes.

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie H
    Hi
    I take all the stuff we normally eat at home plus a few special treats we don't normally have. Meat- Bangers.steak.rissoles etc as well as spuds and onions, fruit as this is always great for the kids to snack on instead of chips and lollies. There's plenty of ways to do spuds- in the fire if you can, mashed, chippies- you get the drift. The normal munchies for the kids of course as you will find everyone tends to eat more when they go camping.

I bought one of those vacuum sealers so i pack all my meat in the bags and freeze before I go. Everything keeps better and longer. The initial outlay was about 240 bucks but in my opinion worth it. Keeps the water out to so you don't end up with an esky full of bloody water.
    You should be able to have it done at the local butchers to.

Cook simple things- a bush stew, stirfry- things that don't have you standing around cooking for hours. I'm sure there are lots of recipes available on this web site. Watch out for Derek's recipes. i watch him on the 4x4 show cooking away in his camp oven. Great food and easy to prepare.

Hope this helps abit. if you want some recipes pm me. I cook anything and have lots of quick meals to keep you both out of the kitchen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ronnie

My hubbie would tell you I take everything- (even the kitchen sink) so we always have food left when we come home.

Sounds good all - YUM !! I'm all [smiley=ears.gif]

ronnieandbill

Hi all
    Just a short reply. Like Derek said once you have the basics it's simple and so should the food be.
    Would also have to agree what you keep it in is important. I weighed up the pro's and cons of buying a 3 way fridge or ice box. Settled for the ice box and it suits our needs just fine.
    Also found one of our most useful things is one of those little stoves that use the butane cylinders. I like my cuppa and find its just great to boil the kettle while the foods on the stove. Pick them up for around 20 bucks.

Happy Camping

Ronnie

Thumbs up camp food - ideas for 1st timers

All is good - heaps more time as the trip is in MAr 07 - keep them coming

I like to take 2-minute noodles and add some vegies to it for a quick dinner or lunch. If u catch some fish you can always add it to the noodles as well. Tin food heats up well also like baked beans on toast for breakie. Tuna pastas go a long way as does spaghetti and curries.

yikes in the city

hot dogs are quick and easy and the kids love em.

If you don't have any luck with the fishing, there are a few good seafood takeaways in town. Yamba king prawns are the best!!!

Gav