Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MOZZIES!!

Re: MOZZIES!!

Derek,just wondering if the track from Tinnanbar to Kauri Creek is passable with a conventional vehicle? Sounds like a top spot. What's the van park at Tinnanbar like? Could be a good base for some productive boat fishing. What sort of fish happen around easter in this area? Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.

Hi Katrina

At the moment the road in is quite corrugated but still in good condition. Have never stayed at the van park but have noticed in the last couple of years it is looking better all the time.

Forestry have got a camping area at Kaurie Creek. Will be doing a story on it in next months BNB if i can get the photos back in time for the deadline. Never been there at Easter.

Cheers

Derek

If you are bush camping, an effective method to protect the campsite from mozzies, is to shovel a few shovel loads of dried cow or horse manure into an old 5 gal. drum & place a few hot coals onto it - it will smoke the place out effectively - be careful not to put too many coals in though. It's not too smelly either. Also, when in the boat, we'd have a mosquito coil inside its special tin (like the mortein ones) each end of the boat & you'd know it when a coil went out!

Hi Guys, just posted this in another section but you might find it of use. I was told this today by one of the guys I work with that does a lot of Barra fishing. Don't have a problem myself so don't no if this works but worth a try.
    Little tip for people that come up in sores from sandfly bites. Start taking Vitamin C tablets a couple of days before your trip and it should make them a little more bearable. Doesn't stop them from biting but it also takes a little of the itch away.

Well I wish that one did work for me, I am a Vitamin C addict. Are you sure it wasn't Vitamin B? I'm still itching from last weekend and there was bugg@ all biting things around.

HI Guys,
    Was up a local creek the other night when the mossies decided to come out & play. Forgot the repellant & was just about to plaster sunscreen on in some idiotic attempt to keep them at bay when I found a can of tackle guard (aerosol)
    I sprayed it on the feet & bingo, not a mossie to be seen & it stopped the itching from the previous bites. Worked like a charm.

Cheers,

Fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Well hell ...there is no mystery to it drown in RUM ummm thats internal of course don't feel a thing all night and next day ........... mates that don't suffer big time

Failing a big night ........ i've always uesd det . baby oil , camphorloral ( the spelling) anyway its never failed so forget the % of each .......... will have to remember soon need to make some more

I was also asked to trial this other stuff, in spray, liquid, and rub on ........ i did and it seemed ok i never got attacked while everyone else did ..think i still have some of it hereabouts ..........but never really managed a good test like Donnybrook at dust hitting the mangroves, now this is a place that can give you nightmeres. them buggers are like kamakize pilots with serious B52 bombers (scotch greys) right up thier ass not to mention the millions of black blood sucking vampires to finish you off, scary place.

Brian

Yep, WD-40 seems to keep em away for a time!!

Great for those arthridic joints as well!!!

RG

mick

me and the missus had a comp to see who could mix up the best batch of sandfly repellent. she used baby oil + detol
    and ended up looking like she rolled in a green ants nest. i mixed a bit of this and that and came home bite free.

the concoction goes.
    :1 tube of zinc cream
    :10 to 15 drops of bleach
    :5 to 10 drops of citronella oil

mix all ingredients in the zinc tube. shake well before use, as the ingredients separate quickly.

failing this bushmans @ $10 a tube is your next best bet.

did you know that sandflies dont bite you . its their piss that irritates your skin.

another good tip is to take a antihistamine before you get there. this will stop the bites from swelling into welts. be carefull not to take anything that will make you drowsy or affect your judgement. most anti histamines react badly with grog. the mangroves is the last place you want to be off your face.

if i type anymore my fingers will fall off.

have fun and fish consevatley

yeah the mozzies dont affect me at all
    dont know if it coz i ahev traveled and schoole in 5 countries or not ??? Maybe coz i spen 4 years in malaysia and the mozzies there got allt eh good stuff??
    o well
    cheers jack

I must admit i am concerned at what people are spraying on themselves wd 40, Deet amoung other things.

Deet as the site says is not real flash ........ as for some of the other stuff i will look at and more than likely are no problems at all.

I will get some of the stuff and check it out

Skipper

It seems there are a million and one mixtures out there, some
    work and some dont, being a ex nth qldern, where mossies
    and midges come across in clouds each nite, this is my
    concoction. there a tree that grows in the bush they call
    the soap tree, dont know the rite names for it, the original
    aussies used it for washing them selves with it, it lathers up
    when u wet it. well anyway get yourself a handful of these
    leaves and grind them up with some cod-liver oil and rub on
    not only cleans ya but them but them blood sucker can stand