Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Camp Lighting

Re: Camp Lighting

Guys

Havent had the opportunity to go camping for a long time so havent renewed any of my gear. When I do though I will definately go for the Versa Light fluro.

A few extra dollars but well worth it. Mate of mine, as an experiment, ran one for a day and a half on his boat battery and it still had plenty of kick to start the boat.

For me, one of these and an extension to the car battery is the way to go.

Cheers.

Derek

Lift up to front page

G'Day Derek, What does Lift up to front page mean? I have seen it used a few times Hope i don't look silly [smiley=hammer.gif]

Yeah you look silly.

These few posts were lost back in the archives and I wanted to bring them to the front page for people to look at so just typed that on them.

By the way, you arent the first one to ask.

Derek

I have the same as Sharkbait a COL LIGHT , they tell me it draws .8 of an amp and i have taken it to Moreton and hooked it up to an old battery from my 4wd which was sitting idle, and it lasted for 2 weeks and never looked like having problems . It comes in a sealed plastic waterproof case as well with an inline switch . Was about $90

Bought it from Camp Mart

Just a note on the solar panel discussion earlier, for the unwary. If your flouro draws .8 to 1A then on most small panels you would need almost the entire day to recharge an hours usage. Check the current rating of the panel in question and the actual current draw of the load. (200mA charging for 5 hours will give you 1 hour of usage at 1A).
    I use a solar panel to trickle charge my boat battery.

Having said that a 12V battery may easily have 40Ampere hours available so you would be able to run the 1A flouro for 4hrs a night for 10 days straight before the battery would be totally flat. More than most people would need I suspect.

Thats true Burley_Boy , ours was only on for approx 4 hrs each night and lasted ok.

I made a fluro 12v, I ripped out the internals of a 2 foot fluro and brought a 12v inverter from a solar shop and put that in there, simple and just conects to the car battery, lasts the entire trip without recharging.

anyone tried a inverter runing off a battery pack

CHRIS_aka_GWH

lift up to the front page, turn around & put back down again ...

Quote Originally Posted by temp
    anyone tried a inverter runing off a battery pack
    two questions ...

is the advantage of the invertor that operating a 240V light will throw more light ?

if that's the case ...

will it drain a source at a faster rate ?

I am now changing over as well will only have a gas above the stove. The new tent even has a handy zip up lead entrance so the tent the chord doesn't need to run thru the walkways. I am contemplating the jump pack idea (not that a Landy ever needs jumping) because i've seen relatively inexpensive jumppacks with variable voltages that could be used for stereos as well.