Thread: Looking for a place to camp

Looking for a place to camp

Happy New Year all,

I've got a couple of days off from work and wanted to get off for a camp (tenting)with the three squids and the better halfI am from Rocky and was looking to go down Sommerset/Wyvenhoe dam way. Can anyone suggest a good camping area (with amenities) where you can light a fire, have a swim and do some walks? If there is a decent chance of catching a fish please tip me off as I can drag a tinny down behind the cruiser. Nothing like a bit of pre-planning as I was looking at heading off on Monday!!

Other option - Are there any good camping spots along a beach somewhere south of Agnes on the mainland? Wanting to keep away from over-populated camping areas.

PG

Re:  Looking for a place to camp

Wild_Cat, see if you can get hold of a copy of Dirty Weekends In Central Queensland. It has some very good directions to places like deepwater Nat Park and others close to Agnes. Also there's an edition called Dirty Weekends in South East Queensland. You might find some useful info in there. Abpout $25 from RACQ also in Bookworld in KMart I think, or at least one of the bookshops on North Rocky.
    Try this link.
    http://www.dirtyweekends.com.au

I got the CQ edition for Chrissy, looking to try it out soon.Good luck and happy camping.
    Paul.

Re: #Looking for a place to camp

Wild_cat

Both places are great there is no doubt about that. Camping fees are a bit more than National Parks or State Forests but the facilities including hot showers make it worthwhile.

Check out this site http://www.seqwater.com.au/content/s...ame=RA_Camping

No outboards are allowed on Wivenhoe and remember you will need a permit to fish on either lake.

For mine, because you are bringing the tinny would recommend Kirkleagh at Somerset. #More info on that one at http://www.kirkleagh.com.au/

Might be an idea to prebook a site as it can get busy.

Cheers.

Derek

cant agree any more with derek

Wild_Cat , There are two great books put out for people just with what you are doing
    and planing
    Camping in Queensland 8th edition By Qld Gov , www.epa.qld.gov.au
    Naturally Queensland info Centre Ground Floor106 Ann St Brisbane PO box 155 .
    Email nqic@epa.qld.gov.au

------------------------------------------------------------
    Freshwater Fishing in Queensland A Guid To Stocked Waters 2nd Edition Qld Gov Department of Primary Industries . GPO Box 46 Brisbane Qld 4001 .

I would think that you would be able to pick these books up at your local DPI
    pogobill .

Hey thanks all.

Ended up at Wivenhoe. Did a lot of swimming driving and caught up with some old freinds. I'll be picking up on the books as I have purchased a second hand tent trailer (Koala camper). We Are planning a 2 week trip from Cooktown to Rockvagus coastal road in the June Holidays with a few overnighters locally before June.

I'd be keen to hear about taking a camper trailer over to Fraser Is and were a fairly good (not to busy) place to camp would be.

Wildcat

He is my opposite number but old Tommo did a video when he towed a caravan over to Fraser Island. It's certainly worth a look at.

Derek

Wild Cat
    Just watch some of the gov books like Camping in Qld, and Freshwater Fishing in Qld as they just keep reprinting the first edition without updating the information.We have been running the Recreation Area at Lake Monduran for 3 years how
    and have been on to the gov deptments about the changes here [Powered/unpowered sites Cabins Showers Camp kitchens etc] and they still print it has no amenities and is a free 48 hour stop and I know this is not the only camping area to change.
    Cheers Foxie