Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: UNIQUE CAMPING SPOT

Re: UNIQUE CAMPING SPOT

Good topic Derek. Some of my fondest camping memories are with mates around a fire at various locations on Moreton and Stradbroke Islands, but what I really like, is to drive up to central Queensland somewhere, leave the car there, and head off hiking into somewhere really remote for a few days - 100% dependent on what your surroundings have to offer and what your initiative can make of it. Not only central Queensland, but the Islands too. I find a lot of peace and satisfaction in hiking/camping that way.

Ben

Needmorerum

Well, for anyone who has been there, they'll understand why, my favourite spot is Elliot Falls, half way up the telegraph track, Cape York. My second would be Vrylia Point, just south of the Jardine River on the West Coast.

Corry

Russell Heads at the mouth of the Mulgrave and Russell Rivers takes a bit of beating, especially if the BEERS cold.
    cheers Baldy

The road between Docker River and Warburton West Australia.

Desert, just miles of nothing, huge dark skies at night, billions of stars.

No fishing, but you could probably catch a few Lizards on soft plastics

we like to go to bigriggen just near rathdowney nice and quite in the off season big fire few beers greats times

A favourite spot

North of Geraldton WA is Lucky Bay.

Find it on the WWW or as a local, or call if heading up that way.

Fishing swimming and 4WDriving only.

Bish

There is another Lucky Bay in Cape Le Grand at the bottom of WA. It has the bluest (and coldest) water you'll ever see and the whitest and finest sand. All amenities incl. caravan sites. Is up there with Cape Leverque north of Broome as the best/prettiest spot around. Just had a 10mth trip around this great land of ours and these two spots stand out! 8)

Hi mrobo (or is that Mr Obo) #

Welcome to Ausfish and thanks for the post.

Somehow I get the feeling that you just might be one of the "Grey Nomad Brigade".

Did you tow a van and did you get right around Aussie?

What would be, in your opinion, the most unique spot in the country or is the southern Lucky Bay it?

Derek

g`day,my favourite spot would have to be mystrey bay,the surf cranks and i can catch enough fish to eat 4 breaky,lunch & tea.there are several beaches to choose from and you`ll be lucky to see other people there.bring ya woolys along as it gets a bit cool.

My favourite spot is anywhere where I can laydown inside my tent and be kept awake by the sound of crashing waves. That is therapy.

tshort

'With grizzly and the cubs' you couldn't go past Bribie Island for a weekend trip. Beach, shallow lagoons, camps just behind the primary dunes. It can blow its nuts off from the SE and in camp you will hardly know its windy. So close to home yet so far away.
    'With the mob' kauri creek log camp, doesn't matter what the weathers like you can always go fishing, very tinny friendly and only a short trip for me. Wathumba creek/Platapus bay Fraser Island what a spot but a bit of a mission. Camped at Ungowa with 18 plumbers a couple of years ago, was supposed to be a fishing trip but cant remember much about it.

redspeckle

My favourite camping spot for last three years has been the Dundubara camp ground on Fraser Island.
    Its out of the wind, they have 50 cent hot showers (backpackers shower there too ) the tailor,whiting fishing is not to far away and going to the cape,clam side as well.
    backpacker have their lunch there as well .
    plently of room to pitch a tent or two and a carvan or camp trailer, and now dingo fence proof as well,not far from Cathedral shop.
    I would recommend it to people never camp on Fraser Island before

Ausfish Platinum Member whiteman's Avatar

You'll need a boat....

Pick a white, sandy, deserted beach in the Palm Islands facing away from the wind. Pitch tent or roll swag and set tarp. Put esky and chair next to each other. If you must fish, put a pilchard under a balloon and wait for a passing mackerel or coral trout. Get up early and motor the extra 30km to the reef.

All of this is heresay as it is illegal to camp on these most beautiful islands and I wouldn't do it! If you must go legal, get a permit for Orpheus Island's Yanks Jetty (a brilliant spot).

The islands of mission beach are pretty good.Coombe being my favourite one.Nearly always get it to ourselves.Coats about $3.85 a nite per person{was anyway}.

I recently stayed a week at the Bushland Caravan Park at Tocumal on the Murray River. We camped in a powered site took the TV and microwave. Did it easy.

You can also camp on the river bank with wide sandy beach without power if you want to rough it.

The park has its own ramp. The fishing was reasonable as well caught yellow belly, carp and cod.

Cheers
    FLATHEAD1