Thread: Nammis

Nammis

Did a general search and was not able to find anything so appologies if this is in here somewhere.

Have any of you fine people ever done one and what do you put in it besides the fish. Is any particular fish better or dont use a certain type of fish. Is it better to use lemon or lime and will the squeeze bottle stuff do? Also how long do you need to leave it before you can dig in.

Specific quantities or ratios would be appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Cheers Steven
    Cheers

Steven

Re: Nammis

Here is 2 I pulled of the net some time ago. They both can be varied. I dont exactly know what fish works best but I have tried, trevally, whiting and flathead. I figure it may work best with the by catch, stuff you wouldnt usually dig into. Prawns work very well but require a bit longer to turn white(edible).

No cooking required.
    White vinegar
    1/2 Kg fillets whiting fillets are great but you can use any
    1 dessertspoon lemon juice
    1 dessertspoon olive or peanut oil
    1/2 teaspoon tabasco sauce
    1 clove of garlic - crushed.
    1 onion sliced
    Optional Ingredients: To be used as desired / required.
    1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
    1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper
    1/4 tea spoon dill
    Method:
    Add all the ingredients to the vinegar and stir. Place the fillets in a suitable glass container and cover with the vinegar mix. Leave to stand for approximately 1/2 an hour.
    Pickled fillets are ready to eat after 1/2 an hour, but taste better if refridgerated and left for about 12 hours.
    Can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 10 days. Always make sure that there is some liquid covering them.

SWEET PICKLED SEAFOOD
    It is also used for pickling mussels and other seafood such as rock lobster, octopus, squid and crabs.
    INGREDIENTS
    Sufficient fillets of fish or other seafood to meet requirements. Ensure that there is no blood or viscera left on flesh.
    750 ml cider or white vinegar
    240 g sugar
    30g peppercorns
    12 cloves
    1 teaspoon salt
    30 g whole spice
    1 level tspn ginger
    1 lge onion chopped fine
    METHOD
    Combine all ingredients in a 2 litre glass bottle and top up with extra vinegar. Leave to stand for a few days stored in the bottom of the refrigerator before using. If used in small amounts, keep topping up with extra vinegar.
    Fish or seafood
    Place fillets and or seafood in shallow glass dish and cover with ‘matured’ vinegar. Cover dish and place in refrigerator for 6 hours - extra time will enhance flavour.

Good luck with it. Is bloody good if you spice it up a bit more.

Cheers zedjack33 [smiley=jester.gif] [smiley=jester.gif] [smiley=jester.gif]

Thanks zedjack33,

Thought there would a few more replies / recipies out there but.

Will try both out.

Cheers Steven
    Cheers

Steven

There is a few on the net Steve but its trial and error, alot of em can be sh!t
    [smiley=jester.gif] [smiley=jester.gif] [smiley=jester.gif]

Tried one a few years ago with coconut milk. Was very average. Stick to the lemon and vinegar base I reckon

Hi Mate,

I Used to live up in Weipa and it's a popular dish up there. The first recipe above is closest to what we used to do, but you can also try adding some worschteshire sauce, or soy sauce with some brown sugar.

Some great veges to add that pickle really well are cucumber, capsicum, carrot or cauliflower. Add some coriander too.

Best left for 12 hours then turn, leave for another few hours then ready to eat.
    Bloody beautiful with some type of breads like ciabatta, or cold sticky rice (Pick the wog-boy!!)

Best fish are the oily ones with firm flesh, like trevally, Queenies (best ever), tuna and jewies.

Bloody hell .... I'm hungry .....!!

Sounds good Franco,

Im a wog boy and bread goes with everything

Cheers Steven
    Cheers

Steven