Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CAMPING TIPS

CAMPING TIPS

Hi everyone

What's your favourite camping tip. How about sharing it with the world through here. I'm sure everyone must have a few.

Here's one of mine to kick it off.

When you buy a new tent, dont clean the metal pegs after you use them...............leave a bit of moisture and dirt on them and let a bit of surface rust build up.......this causes a rough surface on the peg and it won't pull out of the ground as easy as a shiny new one.

Well, there's one..............what's yours.

Cheers.

Derek

Re: CAMPING TIPS

To make life easy on your first night at camp,(after being knackered from setting up!) bring along a curry or a casserole to reheat for dinner. We usually freeze it up and let it defrost in the esky. We also buy a pack of 20 paper plates. This saves on a few dishes. We have a theory that less work you have to do, the more fun you can have!! Happy camping!

G'day all.

I've got heaps, but here's my favorite.

Rubber spiders + sleeping bags = entertainment....

hehe

Cheers, Slates

I some times (alot) camp in sideways rain, like tropical down pours...

durring this high wind I have found away to stop my cover tarp set up from falling over...

i have one of those 3m x 3m free standing tarps, it has a pole for each corner and one taller one in the middle.
    to remove wind movement I add guide ropes as rafters. So from each corner post I run a rope to the middle one and adjust tight. you can pretty much camp in a cyclone like this.

handy if you like a dry bead and stable camp site, nothing worse than being ut all day comming home to find your camp destroyed by wind and rain...

slates dont worry about the rubber spiders, we chucked this frill necked lizard in me mates tent. He went to bed and it took them about 10 mins before they bumped in to each other. Mate you aint seen funny till you watch your mate running and screaming like a girl with full on fear in his eyes. Destroyed the tent but as he busted out, small price to pay, and if we had a video (even though it has been dont) reckoned we would have won a prize.

I also use two pegs per allocation, one as per normal the other on a big angle and it locks the other peg down to remove and side to side movement that causes them to creap up.

My tent stays up...

Muz...

P.S i normally take two tents camping one of which is a cheapo dome tent 3 man size. the 3 mean tent becomes my change room/shed and thats the in and out tent. the other is the sleeping tent it gets opened only twice a day to go to bed and to get out of bed, I also rool my swap up most times as I have had a centerpede in there with me not nice at all...

P.P.S a places like shady we have a hose fitted to a cut open coke bottle, the hose pionts outside the tend witht he bottle in side. that way ya can take a leak with out the mozzies givein ya hickies where they shouldnt...

Jack_Lives_Here

Muz,
    The hose in the coke bottle thing would be interesting for the female fraternity - maybe there's a funny home video inspiration for ya.

A bag of rock salt sprinkled over your ice and then covered with a wet towel or bag will keep things cold a hell of a lot longer.

All the best
    Jack

they need to use a 2lt coke bottle or milk bottle, and yep its a dead set pisser to watch (hehehehehe ge it)...

I had this one bird all to shame to do it, righto me says out with ya. 2 whole seconds she lasted prior to back in the tent, no shame is greater than mozzies where they aint supose to be...

Funny stuff guys.

Tent pegs are my tip. I use only 'D' form bar or Rio as some call it. about 10mm and 40cms long. heat it up and bend it in the tow bar of the car. These pegs will hold in sand, dirt, or anything you put them into. Once in, they are easy to remove as well. One twist and pull. Also use H/Duty springs on all guy ropes.

Hey Katrina, I like your work, but I prefer a Lasagna.

My funny story is the " Bush Rat " that got into me mates tent on Whitsunday island. Chewed through the side to get to some food. I don't know who was more scared. But just to see the sides of the tent blowing out with hits from Greg and the Rat, kept us in stitches for the whole trip.
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Not really a camping tip but for rod holders we use pvc pipe with two hose clamps(ones used for cars) and heavy duty tent pegs clamped on the outside of the pvc. Screw the clamps up tight and you can just about belt them through rock with a hammer.
    I haven't found a better rod holder on the market.
    Cheers Luke

Lucky Phill, I forgot to mention Lasagne, we've done that a few times now, just heat it up, toss a salad and away ya go!

my tip, dont bother to carry #extra steel pegs to popular spots. just # count up the ones you have.if you find your short when you break camp,walk around like an emu and youll find five more.......try it! #a bit of lame fun and ya always find a few better than the ones ya got......

Bringing up this old post again.

Any more tips to share ? ? ? ? ? ?

Derek

zip ties on tent zippers allways great fun in the morning when people gave to get up for a leak
    you can do a whole campground for under a dollar

scotty

Hi all, An oldie but a goodie is the shade cloth thing, spread out under your tent and tarp to keep leaves,sand and other foreign matter out of your bed, (best of all the sand)

Take a trolly camping with you.
    You know the type that you can buy from the cheap shops.
    You can put your fold up chair, esky and fishing gear on it making transportation of all your stuff to the jetty or beach easier.

Also good for carting your water bottles to and from the taps.

Derek